comp_audio
comp_audio, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  5+ years mac support experience ready to help you.
44312836

My sept. 2012 bought MacBookPro 15" Retina A1398 got wet yesterday

My sept. 2012 bought MacBookPro 15" Retina A1398 got wet yesterday through its left side: MagSafe 2 and the USB 3 are clearly damaged and smell burnt. t can not be turned on. I am in Bahamas. sailing. no Apple stores here. I am one month away from US in time. and need my mac for work befor that. If I let a local repaireman (I do have this option) change the motherboard, - can then all my information/programs be saved and replaced? Is all this information separetly placed in a Flash thing that can be put into the new motherboard? Or does the old motherboard have all programs and information in it?
Applecare could not give me a good answer to this. Can you, please?
Or do you have a good solution as to what I should do?
Apple stores will not exept the Mac beeing sent them. I must personally show up in the store for ny questions about repairs.
Sincerely. Alva

comp_audio :

Hello, my name isXXXXX hard drive will hold all of your data. hopefully that did not get damaged too.

comp_audio :

Good chance it is safe. As they are usually sealed fairly well.

comp_audio :

I would have the local tech attempt to do a backup of the hard drive before any other work is performed. Any good technician should be able to do this easily as long as the hard drive did not sustain any physical damage. If it did however there are ways of still getting the data, but it is very expensive and would require you to send it to a place in the states to do it. If you have any further questions please do reach out to me here and I will be happy to assist in any way I can. I hope this all works out the best for you.

comp_audio :

Sincerely,

comp_audio :

Matt B.

comp_audio :

Also please do remember to rate my answer as excellent if you have found I answered your question. If not please let me know so that I can further assist you.

Customer:

Thankyou for the answer. but can the tech do a backup of the hard drive (I read there is no hard drive in this Mac. but a Flash drive. I dont know it makes any differnce though?) as long as it can not be turned on. - and as I believe he has to take it apart first. - will Apple even touch it afterwards if it has been opened by a not Apple technitian?

comp_audio :

The warranty would be voided if it is opened by a non apple certified technician. At which point you would have to pay apple for any repairs.

comp_audio :

As for the drive, it sounds like it is a ssd hard drive.

comp_audio :

If that is the case, then he should still be able to back it up.

comp_audio :

However like I said before if the water did get in contact with the ssd drive chances are it is damaged as well.

Customer:

So you can not say for sure if this is a ssd hard drive. and possible to put into a new motherboard?

Customer:

Even though you have all info of what kind of Mac this is?

comp_audio :

Sorry I had to step away for a minute

comp_audio :

I did some checking and I hate to say this, but that system is a sealed unit.

comp_audio :

The HDD is a flash drive. 256gb I believe.

comp_audio :

So if water got in there, chances are it is gone. But if it were me, and it were under warranty, I would at least get it to a factory authorized service center. If that was not an option, then I would let the closest tech guru have a go at it, but know that if he or she breaks it open, then it could be a pretty penny to replace it if it is not repairable.

Customer: Sealed drive? Does this mean your former info was not right, not possible to transfer information?
comp_audio :

If the tech is good, and the flash drive not damaged, then they would be able to transfer that to the new motherboard.

comp_audio :

Sealed system. Everything is pretty much soldered onto the main board, to include the ram and flash drive. But like I said just now, if the tech is good at what they do, and has the proper tools, that can be moved to a new system.

comp_audio :

I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but it is all I can offer at this time. I wish it were different. Sailing the high seas huh? I always wondered what that would be like. I think I would be a little afraid. you know like a huge whale swallowing me whole and what not. LOL. Anyways, I do hope that whatever tech you find can help you get your data. Good luck and good sailing. Be safe out there. I have to admit that I bet the night sky is amazing out on the open waters like that?

Customer: Ok. Do you have any add info or advice please let me know. I am confused and worried. i have the mac pro with biggest ram, 749 i believe. I will now make sure you are paid, thank you for trying,
comp_audio :

I wish I was in the Bahamas and would try to do the repairs for you. But I would look for any technician that is Mac certified at least. That way they would probably have the tools needed to at least attempt to recover your data properly.

comp_audio :

Hold on a minute, I might have found some helpful info on finding a tech for you.

comp_audio :

Yep, I found a MAC certified tech in the Bahamas for you. Not sure how far away they would be from you, but go to their website here http://www.macconsultantsbahamas.com/

comp_audio :

They state they are an Authorized Mac Service Repair center.

comp_audio :

Good luck Alva, I hope I have given you some direction and answered your questions.

Customer: Sincerely, Alva
Customer: thanks Matt, I did speak with them today, but they could not help. 3 weeks and pay lots even if no cure, - so I better get my Mac to The US. New moon over sharks and turquoise water here, beautiful. Only mac worries. Goodbye. Alva