David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
39216975

I have a mac book pro, 10.7.5 version. I have a Mustek a3

I have a mac book pro, 10.7.5 version. I have a Mustek a3 usb flatbed scanner. I want help in taking 3x5 photographs and producing a 10x13 copy. This is not the only size but if I can do that one I should be able to do other sizes The software on the Mustek is "Scan Express A3 USB 600 Pro
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

You can use Mac OS X's built in Image Capture software, to capture the scan.

With Mac OS X you can then use Preview to export and resize.

To start open Image Capture. Go to you Applications folder and double click it.

Select the device on the left, and click Scan. For now you can save it to your Desktop.

Let me know if you can get the scan saved to the Desktop with Image Capture.

Yours sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I double clicked and the only device that appeared was a my Canon 3 way device, not the Mustek

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Do you have other software running for the Mustek? If so close it down. Then close and open Image Capture.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did, nothing happens because the Mustek is not in the box on the keft side of the window-how do you add a device?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

A device is not added, it appears automatically. Have you been able to scan with the Mustek software already?

The Mac also might need to be restarted. How is the Scanner attached?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I have been scanning 11x14 same size, no problem. Just finished a few minutes ago.

USB connection.

I also have an HP scanner, copier, printer, that did not appear in the devices.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

There can be a problem using Image Capture if the drivers or kernel extensions for the particular hardware is already active. In this case it makes sense to continue to use the software you have been using.

You can scan the 3 x 5 photos as you normally would. Using Preview is also optional, but it comes with Mac OS X.

Do you have another preference for resizing the images, or are you OK with using Preview?

Sincerely,
David.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't understand the question. I will use whatever works. In most cases I want the final photograph to be 10x13

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Just making sure I wasn't turning you away from Photoshop, or other image manipulation software, by advising you to use Preview.

Do you have one of the 3 x 5 images scanned already?

If you do, then open Preview in your Applications folder. Click the File menu, and click Open.

Browse to the location on disk of the 3 x 5 image, select it and click Open.

Now click the Tools menu, and click Adjust Size.

A new dialog opens. Change the dimensions scale to Inches.

The aspect ration of 10 x 13 is different to 3 x 5, so there will be some cropping.

Test this by typing 13 into the field that is larger, width or height.

The other number will change.

Let me know what the other number says.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

David,

Have to take a break. I will try and get back to you tomorrow.

Jack

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

No worries at all.

Let me know when you want to continue.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ready to try again

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jack,

Can you open one of your 3 x 5 scanned images with Preview.

Open Preview in your Applications folder. Click the File menu, and click Open.

Browse to one of your scanned images, select it and click Open.

Let me know if you can open a scan with Preview.

Sincerely
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Click the Tools menu, and click Adjust Size.

Change the image dimensions scale to Inches, it is probably set to pixels.

Then change the higher of the two numbers, Height or Width, to 13.

Click the other dimension box, and you will see that will automatically change. That is so the pictures aspect ratio stays the same, and doesn't stretch.

Let me know what the Height and Width say once you have done so.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

w 10.6

h 13

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

You can try print this as it is, or you can crop it in Preview first.

It is not far from 13 x 10 so printing will only lose half an inch on the width.

You can use the selection tool and then crop in Preview, and check the size again.

If you want exact cropping you can use iPhoto, but it is faster with Preview, and in either case you will need to lose .6 of an Inch and still maintain aspect ration.

Let me know how printing the image goes.

Sincerely,
David.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

David,

The image did not change in size and I don't want printed copies, I want a digitized copy I can send via interner.

The problem remains, I can't make the image larger.

Jack

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

It is probably not viewed to scale in Preview.

Click the View menu, and click Actual Size.

That will give the full size of the image.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

David,

It got a little bigger but no 10 x 13. I tried all the buttons, zero.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Click Tools - Inspector.

What does it say under General for Image Size and Image DPI?

Thanks in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

David,

Where is General?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jack,

That is the first tab in the Inspector.

Click Tools - Inspector and it will say Image Size in pixels, and DPI in pixels per Inch.

Also, the image should now be resized, and you should save it in Preview and open it in whichever application you intend uploading it to the web with. You should see the increased size there.

Let me know if there are any questions.

Sincerely,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

David, You have done a lot but I don't see that it works. Is there a software driver that would work?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jack,

Let's go back a bit. You have an image that you want to send, but it is not big enough so you want to increase the size.

What way are you sending the image? By email, or are you uploading it somewhere?

Having done the resize in Preview, just save the image to the Desktop, and try opening that with whatever software you are sending the image with. It will have increased in size.

Sincerely,
David.