Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Sound is not importing in iMovie 09, (8.0.6)...running Mac

Sound is not importing in iMovie 09, (8.0.6)...running Mac OSX 10.6.8
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. It is posted as an Answer because of site rules but it is really just a diagnostic test. So please don't Rate to Finish just Reply to Expert when done.

Open Macintosh HD / Applications / Utilities and double click Disk Utility. Highlight your hard drive, usually Macintosh HD, and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.

Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

am using Mac Mini server as a workstation, so there are 2 hard drives, 256gb and a 750gb. currently verifying discs and repairing permissions

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

verified and repaired disc and permissions on the HD drive, green lights.

was able to verify the disc on the media drive, received a green light, but "repair disc permissions" was grayed out, "repair disc" was avail, so I clicked on that, received a green light - "The volume Media appears to be ok"

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok Permissions can only be repaired on a system drive. Quit all apps. Go to Macintosh HD/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/ drag com.apple.iMovieApp.plist or com.apple.iMovi.plist to the trash. Restart the computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Deleted plists, restarted the Mac, tried importing a minute of video, video imported...sound did not.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Does this happen with ALL files? Do you have any that have imported successfully before that you can try?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did have some on which I was working, finished the projects and sent to iDVD. The last five MiniDV tapes that I transferred to the Mac did not import the audio. One of the results that populated as I searched for solutions was that one of the video files might have been corrupted. Since the projects were completed, I deleted all the video files on both the media drive and the HD, however, before doing so, I checked the audio on the files which were working before, and they were still working fine.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
DId you make a new empty project and try that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not tried creating a new project yet, as the videos being imported into iMovie have yet to present an event which has the audio as well as the video. Normally, as I scrub through the video events, I will also get the audio along with an audio readout beneath the project window.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Try importing a tape that has worked before to make sure it is not a problem with the camera.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried another MiniDV tape which worked previously, and worked just fine. I utilize a Canon GL2, which has a flip out monitor with speaker. The videos play back just fine on the canon.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK in that case it is obviously a problem with these new tapes. The tape that could import OK was taken with the same camera?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. They were all shot with the same camera.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
So you can hear the audio when you play it back on the camera right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I can't find anything more on that. If you have not changed the audio settings on the camera maybe you should try ungrading to iMovie 9?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am currently using iMovie 09
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
iMovie '09 is version 8, iMovie '11 is version 9
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried that, but I would need to updAte the entire OS. I updated the OS last year to Mountain Lion and got to that e point where every click of the mouse would initiate the spinning wheel for 30-35min while running iMovie. And then finally it quit importing any video all together. I had to completely reinstall the Snow Leopard Server, and that allowed me to continue working on the projects.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I forgot that the old tapes work so it has to be a problem with the camera or some setting you may have changed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So...your answer is that it is something with the camera or a setting? Can you help me understand how it might be the camera? I am able to import other video from the camera...using the same settings. Did you have another suggestion? Or is that your final conclusion?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Not my final but I can't figure what else it would be if nothing else has changed. I have seen problems with that camera and iMovie and some have used third party tools to import and convert.

http://www.wondershare.net/ad/video-converter-ultimate/index_mac.html?gclid=CPiqqOi7nbYCFQnznAodcSkAIA

If you don't want to try that I can opt out, let me know. BTW I use FCP X and 10.8.3 and it works great.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can see where the video converter will work to reformat the video into various specified media allowing it to be played or possibly edited...once the original media is loaded into the Mac, but doesn't it first need to be loaded into the Mac before the format can be converted. There lies the issue that I have failed to overcome.

I am glad to read that FCP and the latest OS work smoothly. I will certainly keep that in mind for the future.

Thanks for your time.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ther are others I thought that one imported too, sorry:

http://download.cnet.com/Live-Capture-Plus/3000-2140_4-74829.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Downloaded the Live Capture Plus software...turned out to be a trial version allowing me to import a max of 5 min, double checked the footage TXFR to the iMovie software, and audio output...this appears to be a viable solution. Checked thepurchase price...$100 from the square box website. Is there a safe alternate site from which I may purchase the license at a lesser price?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Yes get it from the developer:

http://www.squarebox.co.uk/purchase.html
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply. I will not be able to get back to my office until late this evening. I will check the other softawre site then. Regarding the Live Capture Plus...the site link which you sent me is precisely the site I was on yesterday which had the list price at $100 US. I wasn't sure if it could be found for less at another site with a positive reputation as well.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
That is the developer so I don't know sorry. I would send an email to

sales@squarebox.co.uk

and ask where else you can purchase it.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Downloaded Debut software from the NCH die, tried it out, and I either have a setting within the software wrong, or the program itself is substandard because the recorded footage playback is extremely poor and pixelated.

Through this, I have however found another work-a-round this missing audio issue, and will dive through that route to complete this phase of the project.

Thank you for your time and your help.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok if you have time to let me know that would be great, thanks. I will let you know if I see anything else.