Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

mac book pro -- installed new battery and everything was working

mac book pro -- installed new battery and everything was working fine. battery charge ran down and now will not start...the cord is funtioning?
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Can you tell me how old this MacBook Pro is?
When you plug it into power does it light up?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Probably 4 yrs old
And only light that comes on is light on the end of the cord that plugs/magnets on to the computer. It was working fine yesterday. It hasn't been charging when computer running it has to be off to charge
That does not sound good, if the cord lights up but the batter does not charge or the computer will not run even when plugged in then it has a major problem with the circuit board that handles the power.
I had one like that and replacing the batter only works as long as the battery holds out.
It has probably been getting progressively worse.
I wish I had an easy fix but it will take at a minimum a charging circuit board and maybe a logic board.

I suggest taking it into an Apple store and have them look at it. Best advice I can give.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Kind of figured as much ah well. Thanks
I know that was not the answer you wanted but there isn't any other answer that works.
Hope I was helpful.