Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 9 years of exp.

I restarted my Mac desktop and it asked for a password. I tried

I restarted my Mac desktop and it asked for a password. I tried every password XXXXX have but none worked. So, I changed my password. But that password XXXXX work. What to do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am excited to get started with you.

So I can better assist you, I will need additional information from you. How did you reset your password? Did you do it from the install disk?

Customer:

I did it from a message that appeared when the password XXXXX work

Appleologist :

Ok, lets try to reset it from the install disk. I assume you are chatting from another device correct?

Customer:

No, I am on my Mac desktop, the one I'm having troule with

Customer:

troule = trouble

Appleologist :

So you were able to log in?

Customer:

No

Customer:

Well, I was able to get access with the Guest User option

Appleologist :

Oh ok, is there another device like ipad or iphone or another computer that you can chat from?

Customer:

Have an ipad available

Appleologist :

Great. Can you resume this chat from your ipad, we will need to restart your computer. You should be able to click on the link sent to your email

Customer:

Do I go back to your website on the iPad?

Appleologist :

Yes, you will need to log in

Customer:

But it's not my iPad. Can we use the phone?

Appleologist :

We do not have the ability to make outgoing calls just via chat. Do you have a smart phone that can access the internet

Customer:

Yes

Appleologist :

Great. Is there an email from Just Answer in your inbox?

Customer:

No I don't find one.

Appleologist :

No problem. On your phone go to our site and login in using your email You will then be able to view your questions

Customer: XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Customer:

It tells me on your site that name and password XXXXX incorrect

Appleologist :

Did you use that email when you submitted your question?

Appleologist :

If you are still unable to connect, you will need to bookmark our chat, follow instructions on how to reset your password. Log back into your guest account and let me know how it went

Customer:

Yes

Appleologist :

Yes to bookmarking and getting back?

Customer:

Do you mean on the phone or on the computer?

Appleologist :

Try to copy the URL from this chat and email it to yourself. Open it up on your phone. Let me know what happes

Customer:

I don't understand how to do all that.

Appleologist :

Ok I will walk you through. Log into your email account. You can open a new safari window by clicking on File New window. Once there, send an email to yourself and paste this into the body.

Appleologist :

http://www.justanswer.com/mac-computers/7nkii-restarted-mac-desktop-asked-password-tried.html?utm_source=sys&utm_medium=email&utm_content=crev1_viewqbutton&utm_campaign=ExpertAllQNotify&r=ems%7C2013-03-24%7C616

Appleologist :

Then on your phone, click on that link

Customer:

If I click on other windows won't I lose yours?

Appleologist :

Nope. I will still be here. It will just open an additional window

Appleologist :

Move the new window out the way

Customer:

When I opn File New Window I get a page called Apple - Start

Appleologist :

Yes so then type in the website to check your email

Appleologist :

Example. www.yahoomail.com or www.gmail.com

Customer:

OK I have your e-mail open.

Appleologist :

Ok now do the same exact thing on your phone

Appleologist :

Does your phone have your email setup?

Customer:

ok i have yahoo mail open on my phone

Appleologist :

Ok now find the email you sent to yourself and then click on the link

Customer:

I don't find my e-mail just yours

Appleologist :

Is there a link in the email?

Appleologist :

Like "View Answer"

Customer:

Yes....View Your Answer

Appleologist :

Ok click on that

Customer:

did

Appleologist :

Is out chat on your phone now?

Customer:

Yes

Appleologist :

Ok can you send a reply from your phone?

Customer: Yes
Customer:

Yes

Appleologist :

Fantastic. Lets begin. Now restart your iMac while pressing and holding both the command+ R Key. Continue to hold both keys until the apple logo appears

Customer:

OK

Appleologist :

Let me know when it boots

Appleologist :

a

Appleologist :

It is showing that you are offline

Customer:

no

Appleologist :

Ok good. you scared me :)

Customer:

The R+command didn't reboot the computer

Appleologist :

You were suppose to hit restart first. To make it easier, you can shut the computer down first. Immediately press and hold the command+R key immediately after turning on your computer

Customer:

OK, I'll try that

Appleologist :

Ok. Make sure you continue to hold both keys until the apple logo appears

Customer: It won't let me get out of guest user
Appleologist :

Did you shut down the computer?

Appleologist :

If it wont shut down, press and hold the power button on the back of the machine for 30 secs

Customer: Ok it restarted and shows the same screen as before. Gives me choices of my entry or guest user entry
Appleologist :

Ok click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose about this mac. Can you please read me the version number

Customer: There is no apple logo except in the very middle of the screen
Appleologist :

log into the guest account first

Customer: It needs a password
Appleologist :

The guest account? How did you enter before?

Customer: The password XXXXX went away and guest user is now open
Appleologist :

great. Now click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose about this mac. Please read me your version number

Customer: Version 10.7.5
Appleologist :

Thanks for the info. You definitely have the lion recovery partition so you are booting incorrectly. Try this.
1. Power off your imac
2. Press the power button
3. Immediately Press and Hold the "Command Key" and the "R" Key
4. Continue to hold both keys until the apple logo appears

Appleologist :

The command key is right next to the space bar

Customer: When you say power off you mean to use the button on the back.
Appleologist :

Yes

Appleologist :

Or you can choose To power off from the menu

Customer: Ok now I have the screen back that gives me a choice off me or guest user
Appleologist :

Thats not correct either. You should be at a lion recovery screen. Can you walk me through what you just did So I can better guide you?

Customer: I am now back on the screen with my name and guest user
Appleologist :

I will need to walk you through step by step. Power off the machine. Let me know when it is off

Appleologist :

Is it off?

Customer: I can no longer see our chat on the phone as though it ran out of
Appleologist :

Do you have a charger?

Appleologist :

?

Customer: My phone is acting like its run out of window. Can't see what I have typed in the upper window
Appleologist :

Scroll down

Appleologist :

are you able to scroll down

Customer: Are you still there?
Appleologist :

Yes

Appleologist :

Can you see my response

Appleologist :

Scroll Down

Customer: I can't read your chat ...ran out of window
Appleologist :

Close your windows and then click on the Link in your email again

Appleologist :

Are you able to scroll down

Appleologist :

?

Appleologist :

You should just be able to scroll down to see the rest of the chat

Appleologist :

?

Appleologist :

Can you see my responses now?

Appleologist :

Is your computer off yet?

Appleologist :

I see you are offline now. When you return, respond to the chat and I will be notified

Appleologist :

Im so sorry you were not able to find your way to the chat.

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 9 years of exp.