Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

A couple of days ago my MacBook Pro just gave up: when I switched

A couple of days ago my MacBook Pro just gave up: when I switched it on, the screen lit up, and a little wheel went round, but it couldn't get any further than that. I took it to the Genius Bar at an Apple shop and they restored it to the factory settings. I saved the files on a memory stick and put them back on the desktop - but now they are all in Text Edit, not the Open Office I originally saved them in. And when I convert them to Open Office, they instantly revert to Text edit as soon as I close them. Any ideas how to get round this?

Also, I had to reinstall Mail. It's now receiving emails OK, but refuses to send any, saying 'Cannot send messages with this server' - yet my old laptop and my iphone are still able to send messages with that server. I can also send emails with a Yahoo account, as this proves. Any advice?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

So I can better assist you with your issue, I will need additional information from you. Did you re-install open office after getting your hard drive restored?

Customer:

Hi Michelle. Yes, I downloaded it and re-installed Open Office afer the hard Drive was restored.

Appleologist :

Great. Thank you for the additional information. Since you are starting fresh, you will need to tell your computer how you would like to preview your documents. To do this, select the document you wish to view. Choose File> Get info. This will bring up a dialogue box. Under "Open With" Choose Open office. Then select Change all

Appleologist :

Here is what it looks like

Full Size Image

Customer:

Hey, that works. Thanks. Do you have any advice about the email problem?

Appleologist :

Yup. It could be one of two things. It could be either an incorrect password XXXXX incorrect server settings. To find this out, open mail. Choose Window from the top menu bar and then select Connection doctor. Can you read me what it says in Red.

Customer:

There's nothing in red. At the top it says, Connection Status: Mail was able to connect to the internet.

Appleologist :

Is the bubble next to Mail was able to connect to the internet green or red?

Appleologist :

Is your Yahoo account the only email account?

Customer:

Sorry, I hadn't finished. After 'Mail was able to connect to the internet', it says 'Connection to POP Account: Connection and login to server succeeded'. Then below that it says: 'Connection and login to server succeeded'. And all 3 bubbles are green.

Appleologist :

Your settings appear correct. Can you compose a new email to yourself. Right underneath the subject box, there is a from field. Can you confirm that your yahoo account is selected

Customer:

No, the Yahoo account is an emergency one I opened yesterday - that's what I am using to write to you. My normal email isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. This may sound silly but I am not sure who my provider is. It was originally Dircon (Direct Connection) but they no longer exist having been taken over by Claranet. But the people I pay for the connection are the Post Office - I have kept the old emai address, however, for which I pay Claranet £14 a year.

Appleologist :

For security purposes, your email was blanked out. Can you tell me what is says just after the @

Customer:

Let me clarify. My normal email account - the one that is represented by an icon of a postage stamp with an eagle in the dock - is theXXX@XXXXXX.XXX one. That's the one that won't send messages (although it will receive).When I click new message I get a window that just says To, then cc, then subject. I cannot see a field for 'From'.

Appleologist :

Ok, lets just copy the settings from your iphone. Is your iphone nearby?

Customer:

My other, new account, which is the Yahoo one, is accessed through Yahoo on the internet. It works. But I want the old account to work - that's the one all my contacts are on!

Appleologist :

Ok thats fine. Can on your iphone Go to settings, Mail Contact and Calendar

Customer:

Yes, I have the iPhone.

Appleologist :

Go to settings, Mail Contact and Calendar

Appleologist :

Then click on your email address. When it advances to the next screen, click on your email address

Appleologist :

Are you still there??

Customer:

I have checked and the settings in Mail Preferences for Address, Description, Incoming Mail Server and Outgoing Mail Server are identical to those on the iPhone

Appleologist :

In apple Mails preference, under outgoing server, choose Edit SMPT server list

Appleologist :

Select the appropriate outgoing settings and then choose advance

Appleologist :

If you are still unable to correct your settings, the easiest way is to just delete the mail account and then re-enter it

Customer:

OK, I will try that - how do i delete and re-enter?

Appleologist :

Open mail's preference again. In the left column select the email address you wish to delete. Right underneath that is the minus sign "-"

Appleologist :

Then press the + sign to add it again

Appleologist :

Follow the on screen instructions

Customer:

Hi - I've done this. But the account still will not send any messages - although it's all green bubbles on the Connection Doctor!

Appleologist :

Can you go back to mails preferences. Under outgoing server, check the box that says Use only this server

Appleologist :

Quit mail and then try again

Appleologist :

If that still does not work, we can try to delete mails preference files

Customer:

I'm afraid that still doesn't work - so shall we try deleting mail preferences files?

Appleologist :

Ok, go ahead and quit mail

Appleologist :

Open finder, Click on Go in the upper menu bar. Choose Go to folder and Paste this inside ~/Library

Appleologist :

Again, your email address is blanked out. Just tell me what is says after the @. Example. @gmail.com

Appleologist :

Are you having difficulty finding the library folder?

Customer:

OK, done. the email address ends @dircon.co.uk

Appleologist :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX library folder do you see a preferences folder?

Customer:

yes

Appleologist :

Are you running Lion by the way?

Customer:

Not sure. It's Mac OS X, version 10.6.7

Appleologist :

Ok, within the preference folder, locate and delete com.apple.Mail.plist

Appleologist :

Make sure mail is closed

Customer:

OK - I have put it in the trash

Appleologist :

Ok now open mail again.

Appleologist :

When you set up your account after deleting it, does it auto populate your incoming and outgoing server? Or do you have to manually enter it in?

Customer:

I have to manually enter it. Shall I do that again?

Appleologist :

Yes, but open your iphone settings and copy it exactly. It looks like you are entering your incoming fine, but not your outgoing. When you get to outgoing server settings, let me know and I wil show you how to find your port number an ssl information from your iphone

Customer:

Hi - I am at outgoing server settings now

Appleologist :

Are you still in mail contacts and calendars on your iphone?

Customer:

yes

Appleologist :

Click on Smpt

Customer:

done

Appleologist :

Click on your primary server

Customer:

done

Appleologist :

Do you see Use SSL and Server Port?

Customer:

Yes - SSL is off and the server port is 25

Appleologist :

Ok enter that same information including the host name. That will be your outgoing server

Customer:

Oh, joy! It works! Thank you so much! Have a good day.

Appleologist :

You are very welcome. Thank you for your patience. Have a wonderful day

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.