Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

I want to purchase Mountain Lion OS X to install on my Mac

I want to purchase Mountain Lion OS X to install on my Mac Book. Apparently you do that through the iTunes Mac Apps store but when I go there, it says it's not available. Any ideas? Thanks.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

So I can better assist you, I will need additional information from you. What operating system are you running?

Appleologist :

To find out what version you are running, click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose about this Mac. Please read me the version number

Customer:

Mac OS X

Appleologist :

I will need the version number. It starts with 10.X.X

Customer:

SMS version 1.31f1

Customer:

I don't find anything starting with 10.

Appleologist :

Click on the apple logo in the upper left corner choose about this Mac. The version number begins with 10.X.X

Full Size Image

Customer:

Got it - 10.5.8

Appleologist :

Thank you for the additional information. The reason why you are unable to upgrade to Mountain Lion is because your computer needs to be running 10.6 (snow leopard) or higher. Snow leopard features the Mac app store where you can then download Mountain Lion. To purchased Snow Leopard, click on this link http://www.amazon.com/Mac-version-10-6-3-Snow-Leopard/dp/B001AMHWP8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364073762&sr=8-1&keywords=snow+leopard

Appleologist :

Is there a reason why you wish to upgrade?

Customer:

Yes, I'm having trouble with Safari. Using news services, etc.

Customer:

Can you download Snow Leopard?

Appleologist :

No, snow leopard is the last CD installation disk that Apple has produced. All operating systems after that are downloaded from The Mac App store which comes from snow leopard

Appleologist :

Is your macbook the white one or the aluminum one?

Customer:

White

Appleologist :

Ok, let me check to make sure that Lion will even run on your computer. 10.6 may be the highest that you can upgrade to . Can you click on the apple logo again and choose about this mac. Please read me The Processor and the memory

Customer:

Processor = Intel Core 2, Duo 2.1 GHZ and Memory = 1 GB

Appleologist :

To upgrade to Lion you will need 2Gb of ram but with snow leopard, you will only need 1GB of ram which is what you have. Snow leopard is the furthest you can go unless you upgrade your ram from 1GB to 2GB. You may only need 10.6. What type of error message are you getting in Safari?

Customer:

I get messages that Safari can't respond due to "Slow Scripts" then it asks if I want to Stop or Continue. Whichever I pick, it hangs up and I can't get anywhere.

Appleologist :

Does it happen on a specific website?

Customer:

Yes, that particular thing.

Appleologist :

We may be able to fix that without upgrading. It sounds like a cookie or cache issue. To troubleshoot safari, I will need you to use another browser. Are you using safari now?

Customer:

Yes

Appleologist :

Ok I will need you to download fire fox first. Click on this link http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Customer:

Doesn't look like I meet the requirements - ?

Customer:

Says 20 minutes remaining!

Appleologist :

You download speed seems slow

Appleologist :

I just started downloading it and it is done

Customer:

I'll try again

Appleologist :

Try this one too http://www.opera.com/computer/mac

Customer:

This one doesn't work with my system either.

Appleologist :

another option is to bookmark our chat so you can get back to me after we reset safari. Or we can wait for the download to complete

Customer:

Ok. How do I reset Safari?

Appleologist :

Ok first we will need to bookmark our chat. Click on bookmark in the upper menu bar then choose add bookmark. Save it to the bookmark bar

Customer:

done

Appleologist :

Ok now first we will need to delete safari's plist file. To do this open finder (Click on the happy face icon in the dock) In the left column you should see your account home folder. It has a house as the icon

Customer:

ok

Appleologist :

Within the home folder, do you see a library folder? Click on that

Appleologist :

Within the Library folder, you should then see a preferences folder

Customer:

ok

Appleologist :

Within the preference folder, locate and delete com.apple.safari.plist

Appleologist :

You may also see com.apple.Safari.RSS.plist and com.apple.Safari.LSSharedFileList.plist.lockfile

Appleologist :

Delete those too

Customer:

I highlighted it, how do I delete it?

Appleologist :

You can either drag them into the trash or press command+delete

Customer:

Ok, deleted the first two, didn't find the third.

Appleologist :

Its ok. Next, empty your trash. To do this, click on the trash can. In the upper right corner, click on empty

Appleologist :

Were you able to empty the trash?

Customer:

Not yet, upper right hand corner of what?

Appleologist :

Click on the trash can in the bottom right corner. A window will then open. In the upper right corner of that window you will see empty

Customer:

Sorry...thought you were directed me to something in the Finder! Okay, done.

Appleologist :

No need to apologize. Ok two more steps. First, click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose software updates. Which updates are available?

Customer:

3 - Airport Utility, Flashback Removal Security, and Migration Assistant Update

Appleologist :

Ok thats not important for now. Last, we are going to reset safari which will disconnect us. Do you remember the username and password XXXXX used when you signed into Just Answer?

Customer:

I don't think I did that, I went for the Trial

Appleologist :

In your email, is there a link from Just Answer saying view answer?

Customer:

ok, found it.

Appleologist :

Ok great. Lets reset safari. You that link to re-enter the chat. To reset safari, click on Safari in the top menu bar and then choose Reset Safari. Keep every box checked expect (Remove saved username and password)

Appleologist :

It looks like you are having difficulties re-entering the chat

Customer:

I was! But the problem I was have with Safari has disappeared which is great! Can you tell me, what do you recommend I do, if anything, about my old operating system?

Appleologist :

Well, you do not need to upgrade your operating system since the issues was not related to incompatibility. You are alway welcome to upgrade anyway if you wish.

Appleologist :

The issue was with the cache and cookies which accumulated over time. A simple reset fixed your issue

Customer:

But I would have to purchase the Mountain Lion software first, correct?

Appleologist :

You would need to purchase Snow Leopard first which will give you the app store. Then you can then download lion from the app store. The highest you can go is Lion. Mountain Lion is basically the same as lion just an updated version

Customer:

Yes, Snow Leopard. I'd like to upgrade iTunes and some other things which I can't do (I don't think) without the upgrade. Just trying to decide if it's worth it.

Appleologist :

Well the itunes upgrade depends on the device that you have If you have and iphone 4 or an iPad 2, it will defiantly be a little frustrating. Weigh your options and then decide. But if safari was your main driving force, it may not be important right now since that issue was already resolved

Customer:

Yes, my immediate problem was solved. One last, quick thing - on the fee. How is the $58 applied? Or is it for this session?

Appleologist :

It is just for this one session. Unless you opted into a subscription. Do you know which one you selected?

Customer:

I selected Trial.

Appleologist :

Ok then it is just a one time fee

Customer:

Ok, thanks for your help! I think this will solve a lot of little problems I've been having navigating some sites. Plus I learned about my system. I've had this MacBook since Aug 2008 so I think I will just hang on and see what happens with it.

Appleologist :

Good Choice! You are very welcome. I appreciate your patience throughout.

You can now go ahead and rate my service and end the Chat. You can also get back to me anytime you want even after rating at http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-michelleblack/. Enjoy the rest of your day

Customer:

Ok, will do.

Appleologist :

Thank you