Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

Someone accidentally deleted a bunch of files and photos off

Someone accidentally deleted a bunch of files and photos off of my Macbook Pro last night. items were placed in the trash and then the trash was emptied. Some of the syuff deleted was pretty vitally important.

Apparently these files may be recovereable? If they're not written over? What is the best way to go about executing this recovery?
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

I'm sorry that you lost your important files. Yes, it is possible to recover the files unless they were over written with other files. If you delete any files from your Mac, they won't be deleted but only the reference/link to the file are deleted. So, Don't install applications, don't use iTunes and don't do anything !

If possible, shut down your Mac and do not use it it until you recover the photos or files. You might over-write the files that could be recovered with Recovery softwares. Use a different computer until the problem is resolved.

You can use third party recovery application to recover deleted photos. One of the best Recovery application is the Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery. Get it from here :

I can't guarantee it will work 100% as the chances of recovering the photos/files depends upon how you used your Mac. Try the trial version of Recovery application before buying it. It is very costly, but if the photos/files are worth it, then you will have to buy the Recovery software. This is the only solution to your problem as there are no other ways. I wish I had a better answer for you, but this is the only way.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask. Good Luck

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'll try that out this evening.

On a related note, what is the process for backing up all of my data like? Can i just hook up any of the external HDs that you can pick up from apple or another vendor to the Macbook and go into the time machine program and have everything copied onto the drive or do I need to purchase a time machine drive from Apple?

Hi there,
Yes, Time Machine is the best option. All you have to do is connect the External HD (any external HD formatted for Mac will work). Open Time Machine application and turn it on. Then Time Machine application will backup your Mac regulary to the external drive automatically. See here :

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

apparently there is no free trial? Stellar phoenix has been running on my computer for two days, recovered 30GB of data, and now it's asking for a registration key and apparently it's like $100 to get the key.

Any FREE solution to this problem?

Unfortunately the trial versions of these softwares are limited. You will have to buy the full versions. Sorry, but there is no free solutions. I've searched but couldn't find any free ones.

Best Regards,