Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

Newly downloaded Photoshop Elements 11. Pacific Image Slide

Customer Question

Newly downloaded Photoshop Elements 11.
Pacific Image Slide scanner.
Mac OSX 10.6.8
I managed to Import ALL of the images on my computer to Elements
Elements created billions of folders which are delete-able...one by one EXCEPT some of the folders which are not delete-able.
I am willing to start all over.
Can I uninstall Photoshop Elements and Re-install (how do I do that?) I guess all my scanned slides will be lost?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Wow.
This is the manual for that App.

I suggest using Preview to open and view, makes it searchable.
graphic

How did you import them? Elements is an editor and it should not have done that.

I do suggest starting to use Time Machine, you will need an external hard drive for it at least as big as the drive in your Mac.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the scanned slides were sent to a folder ....something something/adobe.

when I opened Photoshop Elements Organizer 11 (Can i call it PE?) on the left, above the folders section, is the word "import". I clicked that and it offered 4 things, 1 was "file or folders" and since I didn't write down the actual file and folder name, I clicked "by searching". I admit I let it search for quite a while before I decided that it was taking too long. I really don't know how those images actually got on PE because I cancelled the search.

I'm not seeing anything in the adobe manual. Truly, I'm happy to lose the stuff I did and re-load the downloaded program...I'm just not savvy enough to know how to do that.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
If you downloaded from the App store it installed by itself so you will have to uninstall manually.
Start by opening a Finder window and in the search box type PEO (the whole name).
This should find the folder/s with what was imported.
Uninstalling will not undo what was done, it will only get rid of the application.
If you have a file name the search for that, once found you can click once to hight it and it will show you the path where it is stored, you may need to do it more than once.
Open two Finder windows, one for finding them the other for deleting them.

Adobe makes some good software but it is primarily Windows based and does funny things that are usually frustrating.

Try the above and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK...I downloaded it from Adobe site...but the question is...will I be able to reinstall without buying it again?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
If you have the disk then yes, it can be reinstalled.
There is an uninstaller included with the installer use that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

oh...i see what you mean...i uninstalled and redownloaded the program and it has everything still on it. What am I to do?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Well Janice from what I have been able to find out is that the Organizer does is keep a pointer to the actual photo, not the photo itself.
This explains it.

This is how to get rid of the unwanted one in one fell swoop.

Delete a catalog

You can delete a catalog only if there is more than one catalog associated with Elements Organizer. If you have one catalog and want to delete it, create another catalog before you proceed to delete the current catalog.

1. Close Photoshop Elements Editor and Adobe Premiere Elements.
  2. Select File > Manage Catalogs.
  3. Ensure that more than one catalog is listed in the Catalog Manager dialog box. Create a new catalog, if necessary. See Create a catalog.
  4. Open a catalog other than the one you want to remove. See Open a catalog.
  5. In the Catalog Manager dialog box, highlight the catalog that you want to remove.
  6. Click Remove. Then click Yes.

Give that a try.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am feeling VERY stupid.

I went to Catalog Manager and it looks like this

O Catalogs Accessible by the Current User (the O is filled in)

O Custom Location and Browse I clicked these...I chose Mac Harddrive and Users (because the folder all the garbage is in is called "/users/myname/Library/ApplicationSupport/Adobe/Elements"

Is this right?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
It is in your home folder just as you found.
Trash that folder and only that folder.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you!

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Happy to have been of service, thank you.