Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  OSX certified, many years experience supporting Apple Hardware & Software

I just installed Quark 9.5.1 and not all the installed fonts

I just installed Quark 9.5.1 and not all the installed fonts are available. They are just fine in Adobe CS6 and MS Office. I've cleared application caches and system caches through Font Explorer; cleared caches through FontNuke; and trashed Quark's jaws folder with a restart after each procedure. No luck. Not all of the installed fonts appear in the jaws folder plus some appear three times within a folder. I have over 1,000 fonts installed and active. What to do?

Category: Mac
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 1 year ago.

Steve Herrod :

Hi, I'll be happy to help with this issue - can you let me know what version of OSX is installed on the system?

Steve Herrod :

Then I should be able to advise further - one quick test that often helps narrow down these issues is to create a new user account under Apple menu-->System preferences-->Users

Steve Herrod :

once the new account is created, restart and login as the new user and see if the same font issue persists with Quark

Steve Herrod :

Let me know

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Customer:

Hello, Steve.

Customer:

I guess the "Optional Information" didn't save. I'm running 10.8.3 on an iMac. All fonts appear in all programs except Quark, and in FontExplorer X Pro, and in Font Book. When using a new user account, the fonts did not appear in any program nor Font Book.

Steve Herrod :

Thanks - can you give me some examples of Font types not appearing in Quark and whether they are located in the System/Library/Fonts folder or the Library/Fonts folder?

Steve Herrod :

There does appear to be a raft of similar issues on OSX 10.7 and above, including 10.8.3

Steve Herrod :

Has this official Quark solution/workaround been tried?

Steve Herrod :

Workaround for the issue:
•Helvetica fonts
1. Remove all Helvetica fonts from the font folders
a) /System/Library/Fonts folder
b) /Library/Fonts folder
c) /Users//Library/Fonts folder
You may not be able to remove Helvetica.dfont from /System/Library/Fonts folder (in case you still want to remove Helvetica.dfont, kindly go through the links regarding protected fonts mentioned at end of my mail. )

2. Flush the font caches, restart the machine.
To clear the current user’s font cache, first quit all running applications (otherwise, you may see font oddities after using the command), then open Terminal (in Applications -> Utilities) and run this command:
atsutil databases -removeUser
atsutil server –shutdown
atsutil server –ping

3. Invoke Font Book -> Install the Helvetica fonts (which you shared with me) -> In case font conflict pops up for Helvetica fonts, select Ignore conflicts option.

4. Again flush the font caches, restart the machine. In case font conflict pops up for Helvetica font, select Ignore conflicts option.

5. Launch QXP 9.3

Steve Herrod :

Let me know

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Customer:

Followed your steps and also deactivated several fonts. No change in Quark, except now the fonts missing in Quark are also missing in MS Office---although they are still available in Adobe CS6 and Apple iWork, and appear in FontExplorer X Pro. Font Book shows the fonts missing in Quark and Office, but now does not show all the Helvetica fonts. The fonts I've been checking are Franklin Gothic Demi and Univers, but there are many more.

Steve Herrod :

ok - and what folder are the missing fonts currently stored in?

Customer:

Oh, there are so many missing fonts they are from at least my user folder and the library folder. Most of the fonts in FontExplorer X Pro are in my user folder, but some are not and some don't show a path but can be found through reveal in finder and will be in my user folder. Just remembered that I had my hard drive replaced recently and migrated my files over. Didn't appear to have problems from that, but possibly this is one.

Steve Herrod :

Ok, were fonts working fine before the migration - was the drive cloned or the data copied in some other way?

Customer:

As far as I know, all fonts were fine. I didn't have Quark at the time. I had restored from a Time Machine backup on an external hard drive.

Steve Herrod :

ok - what I would recommend would be to consolidate fonts into one location

Steve Herrod :

Library/Fonts = fonts available to all users

Steve Herrod :

Users/~username/Library/Fonts = fonts only available to the user.

Steve Herrod :

I would if possible standardize them to Library/Fonts

Steve Herrod :

as that will also allow testing with other user accounts

Steve Herrod :

there should only be one copy of each font

Steve Herrod :

and then clear the cache with fontnuke and repair permissions

Customer:

Okay, I'll give that a try and get back to you. It will take awhile to complete.

Steve Herrod :

No problem

Customer:

What about the fonts for MS Office. Should they stay in the Library/Fonts/Microsoft folder or move to Library/Fonts?

Steve Herrod :

would leave those specific ones

Customer:

I can investigate, but do you know if consolidating the fonts into Library/Fonts folder is just a matter of moving the font files in Finder or do I need to deactivate in FontExplorer first?

Steve Herrod :

As office can get a little muddled itself with fonts

Customer:

Hi, Steve. I haven't had a chance to complete all the file moves, so I'm not sure if the problem will be solved. Thanks.

Steve Herrod :

problem, let me know whenever is convenient

Customer:

Well, all the fonts have been moved to Macintosh HD/Library/Fonts. System and application caches have been cleared, but the fonts are still not appearing in Quark or MS Office. I even deselected the "show fonts in font list" in Quark thinking possibly the quantity of fonts might be causing the problem, but it didn't improve anything.

Steve Herrod :

Thanks - would it be possible to arrange a remote session anytime between 3PM and 8PM EST today or tomorrow?

Customer:

Yes, that would be fine. Today would be better. Tomorrow I will be in and out.

Steve Herrod :

Ok, we can use either Chrome Remote Desktop or join.me. Will be availablecfrom 3pm EST so we can connect up whenever convenient after that

Customer:

join.me sounds good

Steve Herrod :

Ok, will send details later and we can then get connected

Steve Herrod :

Ok - this should be the link

Steve Herrod :

once you've connected I'll make you the presenter so we can see what is going on

Steve Herrod :

Also, one thing I wanted to check was what version of Office is installed?

Customer:

Okay, I'm here. I'll click on the link. MS Office is the latest version for Mac.

Steve Herrod :

ok

Steve Herrod :

am passing the presenter role to you so you should receive a prompt

Steve Herrod :

Looks like there might be some issues?

Steve Herrod :

I've had to end the session as it looks like presenting isn't working properly right now

Steve Herrod :

will check with logmein who host the service and let you know

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Steve Herrod :

Apologies for issues yesterday - we can try again later today (although I know that is more difficult for you). If you are free between 3PM EST and 8PM EST I can create a new link or we can try Google Chrome Remote Desktop

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Customer:

We can give it a go after 4P.

Steve Herrod :

Ok - will send details through then

Steve Herrod :

Ok - this is the new link

Steve Herrod :

apologies for delay!

Steve Herrod :

Will have to give it a try tomorrow....

Customer:

My apologies if I'm causing a problem with getting connected. You see, I'm not in front of my computer all the time. If you need to reach me to get the session started, maybe you could email me directly XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. Thanks.

Steve Herrod :

That's ok - I understand. Unfortunately we're not allowed to use direct e-mail addresses for privacy reasons as everything needs to be conducted through the chat systems here. Let me know if you have any availability today after 3PM EST

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Customer:

I'll try to be in front of my computer after 3P.

Steve Herrod :

no problem

Steve Herrod :

will send the link through then

Customer:

Just letting you know I'm here. Waiting for my devices to sync. I'll be ready shortly.

Steve Herrod :

This should be the new link

Steve Herrod :

no problem

Customer:

Sorry. I had to exit Firefox and join in Safari

Customer:

yes, I don't see the window i normally type in though

Customer:

please don't close Safari though

Customer:

Quark is open in window 4

Customer:

InDesign is open in window 3

Customer:

what are you looking for? maybe i can help

Customer:

the window disappeared before i could read it

Customer:

what are you looking for?

Steve Herrod :

the root of the hard drive

Customer:

can I help again? i moved the fonts from the system folder to the hard drive/library fonts folder

Steve Herrod :

Yep and now Office is no longer seeing them?

Customer:

no, it isn't. but it wasn't seeing all the fonts before either

Steve Herrod :

ok - there's a little lag on the remote session so if you can drive that will be great

Customer:

okay

Steve Herrod :

can you open up library\fonts\microsoft

Customer:

just let me know what you want me to do for you

Steve Herrod :

interesting that there is no Microsoft folder there at all

Steve Herrod :

was there one earlier do you know?

Steve Herrod :

sorry - my fault

Customer:

nope

Steve Herrod :

can we check that those fonts in that location are available in Office at all?

Customer:

sure. office will open in window 2

Steve Herrod :

ok

Steve Herrod :

yep

Customer:

I'll look at Calibri and Cambia and maybe baskerville old face

Customer:

No, they are not showing in the list nor is the font changing to the correct font even though it is not giving me an error screen telling me that

Customer:

Baskerville Old Face was showing in the list though

Steve Herrod :

ok, can we load Font Book?

Customer:

I use Font Explorer Pro but I will open font book

Steve Herrod :

thanks

Steve Herrod :

Is Calibri shown there?

Customer:

yes

Steve Herrod :

all good apparently...

Customer:

what next?

Steve Herrod :

Franklin Gothic Demi and Univers - are they still missing in Office as well as Quark?

Customer:

yes, last I checked

Customer:

Since I moved the fonts, almost all Franklin Gothic fonts are missing

Customer:

...maybe all.

Customer:

all Franklin Gothic fonts are missing in both programs now

Customer:

the same would be true for univers most likely

Steve Herrod :

ok - so in one sense it is tracking the location but not in the desired way

Customer:

InDesign is not having a problem with any fonts

Customer:

Pages is not having a problem either

Steve Herrod :

does that include the moved files?

Steve Herrod :

am guessing so

Customer:

yes, everything was working fine in those programs before and after the move

Steve Herrod :

ok - what we can try with office would be to rebuild it's office cache

Steve Herrod :

sorry font cache

Customer:

ok.

Steve Herrod :

if you can open your home folder

Steve Herrod :

and then go to Library-->Preferences-->Microsoft

Customer:

I've cleared the caches from InDesign, Quark, and Office and supposedly fixed permissions, but let me know what to do

Steve Herrod :

no problem - this may be the file you've already cleared but we'll double check it for office

Steve Herrod :

and if not we can try a safe boot to reset the system font cache

Customer:

ok

Steve Herrod :

what is the full name of that .plist file?

Steve Herrod :

ok - just wondered...

Steve Herrod :

if you go into the Office 2011 folder

Steve Herrod :

there should be an Office Font Cache file

Customer:

I only see Word Font Substitutes

Customer:

the only cache file is office registration

Steve Herrod :

that is strange...

Steve Herrod :

are all Office applications shut down?

Steve Herrod :

it looks like it

Customer:

yes

Steve Herrod :

ok - what I'd like to do next would be a safe boot

Steve Herrod :

but this will need to be whenever it's convenient for you

Steve Herrod :

as it can take a while

Customer:

won't we lose connection

Steve Herrod :

yes

Customer:

tell me what you'd like me to do

Customer:

and what you'd like me to look for once i boot into safe mode

Steve Herrod :

Ok, so when convenient, shut down the Mac and then start it up again in Safe Mode

Steve Herrod :

Log in when in Safe Mode

Steve Herrod :

and launch Word

Steve Herrod :

once it's loaded

Steve Herrod :

quit Word

Steve Herrod :

and then restart normally and check the font situation

Customer:

ok, what keys do i hold down to boot into safe mode...it's been awhile

Steve Herrod :

hold the shift key when you hear the apple chime

Customer:

ok, see you on the other side

Steve Herrod :

and release it when the little spinning gear appears

Steve Herrod :

ok....

Customer:

Well, no change

Steve Herrod :

ok - that is odd, I would have expected Office at least to pick them back up

Steve Herrod :

I'll do some more testing here and come back to you a bit later if that is ok - the remote session showed everything is as it should be

Customer:

alrighty

Steve Herrod :

:)

Steve Herrod :

still working on this - am wondering if it would be best to reset the standard fonts and then work back but want to test that thoroughly first

Customer:

okay

Steve Herrod :

I think this is going to be the best solution, am working out the best instruction steps to make it as painless as possible

Steve Herrod :

From what I have tested, I think the solution will require resetting the standard fonts and then adding the other fonts back in

Steve Herrod :

this should get everything in order and also let Quark finally see them too

Steve Herrod :

Restore standard Mac fonts
Full Size Image

Steve Herrod :

If you use FontBook it has the option there

Steve Herrod :

once completed there will be a folder here

Steve Herrod :

~/Library/

Steve Herrod :

called “Fonts (Removed)”

Steve Herrod :

you can then add these via File-->Add Fonts

Steve Herrod :

again in Font Book

Steve Herrod :

or you can use another Font App if preferred

Steve Herrod :

that should ensure the directories are correct

Steve Herrod :

let me know how that goes...

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX will give it a go over the weekend. Much too busy today.

Steve Herrod :

problem, take it easy over the weekend and let me know when convenient

Steve Herrod :

Will be online over most of the weekend

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Customer:

Well, Steve, I tried. I got the following error message:

Customer:

"Please reinstall Mac OS X to recover standard fonts. Some of the standard system fonts were missing. Please reinstall Mac OS X to recover these fonts."

Customer:

I had uninstalled FontExplorer Pro prior to running the steps through Font Book. I figured that way I'd only have one font manager running and start fresh.

Customer:

The two fonts I mentioned missing in Quark and Officer but available in other programs are now not appearing in Font Book. So...obviously I'd prefer to not have to reinstall the OS and rebuild my system.

Customer:

I'm going to search to see if I can find out what exactly the required system fonts are, then see if I have font files somewhere...unless you think that won't work.

Customer:

This probably all began, for whatever reason, when Apple swapped out my hard drive. I don't remember having a problem prior.

Customer:

I went back to a Time Machine backup and compared the fonts in the system fonts folder and added 3 that were missing. Then I ran Font Book's option for resetting the standard fonts and didn't receive the error message.

Steve Herrod :

Ok - are you then able to add the (Removed) fonts back via Font Book and have them available in all Applications?

Steve Herrod :

am online intermittently today due to family

Customer:

Well, I'm still checking and trying to figure out what's what. Univers and Franklin Gothic are the two I continue to look for. But to answer your question quickly, no.

Customer:

Well, I shouldn't say I can't add them back in.

Customer:

I'm still looking to see what's what and where first.

Customer:

Happy Easter!

Steve Herrod :

ok - thank you, XXXXX XXXXX!

Customer:

thanks

Steve Herrod :

yw

Customer:

When I try to add fonts back in via Font Book, I get errors for almost each one (I'm working in sections of the alphabet to be able to keep track of what I'm doing and not overwhelm the system). Most of them have an exclamation mark in yellow saying: 'name' table structure and 'kern' table structure and contents as the problem during validation. Some will have an X in red saying: <corrupt font name> Font basic parsability or "FOND" font association usability and to not use the font. Font Book shows 592 fonts, so obviously it has more active than just the system fonts. Some font names are XXXXX XXXXX and say "off."

Steve Herrod :

Ok - can you repair disk permissions to ensure that there is nothing amiss there?

Steve Herrod :

Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility/Repair Permissions

Steve Herrod :

Let me know what happens after that as we might need to try some more commands

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

STeve

Customer:

Sorry, I was offline and didn't see your response. I had to drag-and-drop the font files from the fonts removed folder to the fonts folder instead of installing through Font Book. So all the fonts are in the ~/Library/Fonts folder (including fonts from the Microsoft folder). I went through all the fonts and took care of any duplicates. Restarted the computer several times throughout the process. All seems to be okay according to Font Book, but... I am still having the same problem with Quark and Office. But now I no longer have Times New Roman and some others. Adobe is fine.

Customer:

At least the Quark invisibles show now. :-p

Customer:

Am doing repair permissions right now.

Customer:

Repaired permissions for HelveticaCY.dfont and Times New Roman font family. I'll restart the computer.

Customer:

Restarted the computer, but no change.

Steve Herrod :

ok - so right now all the fonts show correctly in Font Book and Adobe is picking them up?

Steve Herrod :

but Quark and Office still not?

Customer:

I uninstalled and reinstalled with the help of MS tech support to make sure ALL files were deleted, so now the fonts are appearing properly in Office and Quark, but no in InDesign, so...a little more work for me to do.

Customer:

I'm going to boot into safe mode since I can't find any adobe font caches to clear and see if that helps.

Steve Herrod :

Ok - let me know how that goes

Customer:

It didn't help.

Steve Herrod :

ok - so everything good now with exception of Indesign only?

Steve Herrod :

If so, is there anything currently in the Applications-->Indesign-->Fonts folder?

Customer:

Nope

Customer:

Sorry, I meant yes, everything is good with the exception of InDesign and no, nothing is in the InDesign fonts folder

Steve Herrod :

ok - can you copy a font to the Indesign fonts folder, and then see if Indesign can see it?

Customer:

I did, and it didn't make any difference although it did create an AdobeFnt14.lst which I hadn't been able to find before to delete

Steve Herrod :

ok - is that the same even with a restart of Indesign?

Customer:

I hope not to have to uninstall Adobe CS6 unless I can save the preference file for InDesign

Customer:

yes

Customer:

I know it's not loading the fonts because it loads so much quicker and I don't see the loading fonts blurb on the splash screen

Steve Herrod :

Thanks - it would be possible to save the preferences but I'd prefer not to have to uninstall CS6

Steve Herrod :

the other Adobe apps are all working ok

Customer:

I haven't checked the fonts in the other programs, but I can. I just use InDesign all the time in my work

Steve Herrod :

ok, can you quickly check one and let me know

Customer:

I was thinking of moving the preference files to the desktop and having InDesign recreate them to see if that helped

Customer:

ok

Customer:

Photoshop appears to be handling the fonts fine

Steve Herrod :

ok, well that is one thing

Steve Herrod :

it is CS6 I think you said?

Customer:

Yes.

Customer:

I just removed the cache and preference files and all seems to be functioning in InDesign

Steve Herrod :

ok - so something corrupt there

Customer:

So I think I'm good to go in all programs now.

Customer:

Geez. Fonts. What a pain!

Steve Herrod :

I've always found fonts a nightmare

Steve Herrod :

:)

Steve Herrod :

although am glad you are not using Suitcase

Customer:

Unfortunately I'm a typesetter, so they're very important to me

Steve Herrod :

understandably

Customer:

Thanks for your help and patience during all this mess.

Steve Herrod :

Adobe at least now use the main OSX font locations

Steve Herrod :

but Microsoft and Quark like their own thing still

Steve Herrod :

you're welcome

Steve Herrod :

happy to have helped

Customer:

Funny how uninstalling and reinstalling Office fixed the problems with Quark

Steve Herrod :

am guessing there was some kind of conflict

Customer:

Things work one day ... then not the next. Go figure

Steve Herrod :

c'est la vie

Steve Herrod :

although I can't complain too much as it keeps me busy

Customer:

Thanks again

Customer:

I'll let you move on to another person in need. Thanks

Steve Herrod :

no problem at all

Steve Herrod :

let me know if you need anything

Customer:

Will do, but hopefully won't need to. Have a great year

Steve Herrod :

you too

Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: OSX certified, many years experience supporting Apple Hardware & Software