Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I put a memory card into my iMac OSX version 10.8.3 and the

I put a memory card into my iMac OSX version 10.8.3 and the photos started to download onto iPhoto. Then all of a sudden I got a message that Photoshop was shutting down and then the download stopped and I couldn't find any of the photos. Can you help?
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

What about on the card they should still be on that.

An unexpected quit is what that is called and it should have shown a dialog box for you to send to Apple.
There ways to help prevent this kind of thing from happening.

I am assuming that you reopened iPhoto and discovered the blanks.

Is the card showing photos?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I looked on the card. Nothing.

This can help with recovering them from the card. They are still there but the directory telling the Finder where is damaged.

Next is repairing iPhoto Library.
Quit iPhoto and reopen while holding both the Option and Command keys down.
All other windows will flee as though afraid, don't worry about it they are still there, just hiding.
You will get this.
graphic
Or something quite similar.
Check all boxes and let it run, do not stop it.

Then after that repair all permissions, this PDF explains how and why, you may want to download and save, you will need it again.

Repairing Permissions

That should help, let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The "repair thumbnails" is in progress. I have several thousand photos, so this is taking a long time. I'm hopeful though!

I strongly recommend a backup. Something like Time Machine, I use it myself.
All hard drives fail at some point, all data can be corrupted and will at some point.
If all eggs are in one basket, well you know what happens.
Vey cheap insurance, or you can use any of a host of others.
Keep me posted please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have Carbonite.

I have to leave for a meeting now and probably won't be able to get onto my computer until tomorrow morning. I'll contact you then. The thumbnails are only about 1/3 finished, according to the little "traveling" bar. I'll be back in touch to let you know if this worked.

Thats fine Peggy, take your time, I am in no hurry.

Haven't tried Carbonite it gets good recommendations though.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No missing images appeared overnight.

One thing that I didn't mention. Don't know if it's relevant. While the memory card was loading onto my computer I was playing Spider Solitaire. Would that have caused my catastrophe?

Unlikely that playing a game had anything to do with it. I do several things at a time in the background.
I now suggest the memory card recovery route. I think that is where you will find the photos unless the card has been reformatted or destroyed in some way.

I think it has a trial.

Let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oh dear. I opened the card photo recovery software and tried it out on several cards and it seems to work, though I still haven't found the right card. Newest emergency: I slipped the final card to try into the DISK SLOT by mistake. Is there any way to get out of this mess without calling in the fire department????

Maybe, turn the computer off and unplug everything.
Carefully hold it on its side and gently shake it. You will need help for this, some one has to watch for and grab it when and if it appears.

The alternative is a trip to an Apple store and have them do pretty much the same thing.
The drive is not open so the card cannot fall through but the above does work with patience.
Let me know.