Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

My Safari is operating very slow, to the point that it now

My Safari is operating very slow, to the point that it now inhibits my work. Any help would be appreciated. I am very much a novice at all of this, so I'll need walking through various fix things.

Thanks,

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

So I can better assist you with your Safari issue, is it possible to resume this chat from a different browser?.
If you do not have another browser to chat from, you can download google chrome here. https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/?&brand=CHMB&utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-sk&utm_medium=ha

Customer:

I'm a novice at this so I will download google chrome. Do I just click on the link above and I will get another way to access the internet?

Appleologist :

Yes that is true. When it is done downloading, click on it to install it

Customer:

Having trouble installing. I'll let you know when it does.

Appleologist :

What troubles are you experiencing?

Customer:

It says I cannot use that version of google chrome with my version of Mac OS X.

Appleologist :

Ok try to download firefox. Use this link http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/ Do you know what operating system you are running?

Customer:

I do not know. We have had this machine since about 2008 and I have not updated anything.

Appleologist :

Can you click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose about this mac. Can you please read me the version number?

Customer:

Version 10.5.8. Firefox said my system was unable to install firefox.

Appleologist :

No problem. Lets see if we can troubleshoot without them. The first step in our troubleshooting process will be to check for system updates. Can you click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose software updates. What updates are available?

Customer:

It says software update does not have any new updates at this time. I did check this yesterday and I do have it set to alert me as to updates and I install them when alerted. It has not alerted me in some time, however.

Appleologist :

Does safari take a long time to load web pages?

Customer:

For the last several days, it takes a long time to open and to load web pages. This computer is my home computer and I have recently been using it more because I am between jobs and previously used my office computer more. I have also recently downloaded Mocrosoft office suite but not an internet program.

Appleologist :

Thanks for the additional information. From what you are describing, it sounds like Safari needs to be reset which will clear safari's cache, browsing history and more. Since we will loose communication, you will need to bookmark our chat so you can get back to me after resetting safari. To bookmark our chat, click on Bookmark in the upper meny bar and choose Add Bookmark

Customer:

OK, I've added that to bookmark, which I have not done before. How do I go back to get this chat?

Appleologist :

Do you see the bookmark that you just added in the bookmark bar? This is what the bookmark bar looks like

Full Size Image

Customer:

Oh, there it is. So I just click on that when I come back to the "new" safari when we do whatever you coach me to do?

Appleologist :

Correct! The first things we are going to do is delete safari's plist. To do this, click on the happy face icon to open up your finder window. The happy face icon is in the bottom left corner

Customer:

OK, that is now open.

Appleologist :

Do you see your account name in the left column?

Customer:

Yes. Under "Places" it says Desktop, my name (Michael Waldron), Applications and Documents.

Appleologist :

Great. Click on your name. You will then see a Library folder. Click on the Library folder

Customer:

Done. Library folder opened with a lot of stuff.

Appleologist :

Now within the library folder, locate the preference folder. Within that folder, locate and delete

com.apple.Safari.plist

Customer:

Within that folder is the item you describe and one called com.apple.Safari.RSS.plist. Do I delete both of just the one you describe above?

Appleologist :

Yes delete both

Customer:

When I highlight those items and press "delete" on my keyboard, nothing happens.

Appleologist :

You will need to press command+ delete key. Or you can drag them into the trash to delete them

Customer:

Still doesn't work.

Appleologist :

Did you you try to drag them into the trash

Customer:

OK, that worked.

Appleologist :

Ok now go ahead and empty your trash. To do this click on the trash can and choose empty in the upper right corner

Customer:

OK, had to go back and reempty because one item that was locked required that I use the option key to allow it to be emptied too. All dumped.

Appleologist :

Great. Now our last step is to reset safari. This is were we will be disconnected temporarily. After safari resets, click on the bookXXXXX XXXXXnk to re-enter the chat. To reset safari, click on Safari in the upper menu bar and choose Reset Safari. Keep everything checked Except for Removed saved names and passwords

Customer:

Here goes.

Appleologist :

Ok see you soon

Appleologist :

make sure you quit safari after it resets

Appleologist :

I hope you are able to find your way back

Appleologist :

I see you made your way back. Did you have any difficulties?

Customer:

Yes. It took over 10 minutes for safari to open. Not a very good fix. Plus, could not get back to you without calling your company's number twice to get a link or a password XXXXX get back to this page, because it said my answers to you were locked.

Appleologist :

Oh wow! I am sorry it took you so long to get back. You may have not unchecked the password XXXXX while resetting safari. After resetting safari, there will be a minor delay for it to reload. It should not take a long time to open after the initial reset. Can you open up a new page within safari and browse through the normal websites that you normally do. To open up a new window, click on file and choose new window

Customer:

OK, but will I lose you again?

Appleologist :

No, this window will still be open. An additional window with just open

Customer:

When I set up the new safari, I left everything checked except the item about passwords, as you said. I did not quit safari after resetting, as I missed that instruction. Do I need to quit safari now and re-start?

Appleologist :

Yes. The bookXXXXX XXXXXnk should work

Customer:

OK. I will quit safari, re-start, and then come back to you. When I came back to the bookmark before, it said the answers were locked and I had to login. I had no login information, but was given a temporary login. If that login is no longer effective, I guess I'll have to call the toll free number back?

Appleologist :

Ok try this first. Click on file and choose new window. Click on the bookXXXXX XXXXXnk in the new window

Customer:

I went to file and opened another window and tried a few sites I normally view. It seemed to open them and move to another site smoothly. I'd like to close safari, quit, and reopen and see how that works. I'll try to use the bookmark and come back to you either way and report how that goes. OK?

Appleologist :

Sounds like a plan!

Customer:

Hope it doesn't take long to find you again!

Appleologist :

Me too :)

Appleologist :

That was much quicker

Customer:

Looks like safari opened quicker. One question more: How do I set the home page like I want it? Somebody did this for me before and I forgot. Told you I was a novice, but over the course of this chat, you know that!

Appleologist :

Ha ha. Its ok. To set a home page, click on safari and choose preferences. Click on the General tab. Under home page, type in the url and then choose set to current home page

Customer:

Great thanks. You've been a big help. Hope it stays running smoothly.

Appleologist :

Im sure it will. Thank you for your patience and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the difficulties getting back to our chat

Customer:

No problem. What am I supposed to do now?

Appleologist :

You can now go ahead and rate my service and end the Chat. Enjoy the rest of your day

Customer:

Will do, thanks again.