Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I have a Mac Pro running Snow Leopard, and Pro Tools HD v.9.0.3.

I have nearly a TB of memory open on myXXXXX I used PT in this "new to me" computer not that long ago, no problem. Now, all of a sudden I get: "Could not allocate space for recording". I've tried Repair Disk Disk Utility. I've reinstalled the driver for my M-Audio, Profire 610, firewire interface (which I'm having MIDI thru issues with as well.)

Can't find a solution that works from the User groups nor Avid. Hesitant to pay $80.00 for a one time support session. Can you help? XXX-XXX-XXXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Dan.

My home is close to Lake Ontario in New York State in the Eastern time zone, I am generally online between 10 AM and 11 PM Eastern standard Time.

You mention 'new to me', what version of OS X is on the Mac.

What format is the external drive?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a Seagate 2 TB hard drive installed in the Mac Pro tower which I bought used two or three months ago. It's a SATA w/ 64 MB cache running at 7200 rpm. The OS is 10.6.8.

Thanks. I also have voluntarily surrendered my life to Christ.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
The way to tell what the format of that drive is to open Disk Utility, click on that drive and it will give lots of info about it including the format.
graphic

It could be that the directory needs rebuilding, Disk Utility cannot do that repair.

For that I recommend Disk Warrior.
It is not a cheap utility but worth it in my opinion.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Daniel: It's "Mac OS extended (Journaled)". I happen to have Diskwarrior, but here's the message I got when trying to use it: (see attachment).

Dave.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that explains it. Boot from the Disk Warrior disk.
Then it can do its magic.
Or if you have OS X and DW on an external drive you can do it that way.
To boot from the DW disk insert it, restart holding the Option key for the Startup Manager, select the DW disk. It will take it some time to boot but worth the wait.
graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, Daniel. Back at square one. I ran Diskwizard and it reported to have fixed a whole bunch of things. However, when all was said and done (more done than said), Nothing has changed with Pro Tools.

What do you think, now?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
And you have a repaired drive with a new directory, all gain.
Next I suggest quitting Pro Tools and trashing the plist.
It will be found in your home folder/Library/Preferences.
It is called com.apple.ProTools.plist or something quite similar.
PT will create a new one and it may fix this.
Do not empty the trash as yet, may want to put it back.

Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Daniel: I'd done it recently, but I again trashed the plist with Pro Tools closed. I restarted PT, but all is the same, sorry to say.

Hope you had a restful sleep. It's 1:25 am for you, as I write this at 10:25 here in California. I'll be teaching some piano classes Wednesday, and hopefully I'll be home around 2:00 or 3:00 pm, my time. I'll check to see if you have anything further for me to try.

Thanks! Dave.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
I will do some research and see what I come up with. Until then.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Daniel: Just for the heck of it, I tried opening a new P.T. file (I'd been trying the same one each time, before). This time, I got a different error message. Just to keep you wondering. :-)

"A CPU overload error occured. If this happens often, try increasing the 'H/W Buffer Size' in the Playback Engine Dialog or removing some plug ins. (-6101)"

I checked, and the H/W Buffer size is at maximum (1034 samples). CPU usage limit is set to 90%. DAE playback buffer is at Level 2 (1500ms). Plug in streaming buffer is set to level 2 (250ms).

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay, storm knocked out my internet.
How much RAM do you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM.

Maybe you need to know that the Pro Tools 9 HD that I'm running here, came on the computer, used (don't know if it was obtained legally or not). Since the HD that it came with was nearly full of apps, with not much room left for work, I bought a 2TB drive, and duplicated everything from the orig. drive over to the new Seagate 2TB drive.

A while ago, I tried Pro Tools off of the orig. drive. It had a problem, but a different one. This is getting really complex, it would seem.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I think I see the problem. Did any disks come for the apps? I mean the installation disks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
That may be a real problem here, it would be helpful.
This may, however, it can't make it any worse.

Look it over and read the docs first though.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So are you saying that the answer to my Pro Tools problem (which I believe worked at first) is to buy a new update of it? It says it's $699!

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Dave, sorry about that. That one is the full upgrade not the update.
This is the update.

It may or may not do it.

The problem is that with no disks you cannot become the owner of any of that software nor the Mac itself.
That is something that people do not know or do not say when selling a computer and including third party software.
They keep the disks because they want the software, they are selling only part of the software. It really does not matter what the software is if it requires a serial number.

In effect you are not the owner of that Mac as far as the Mac is concerned, it still belongs to the seller.

You may be able to change ownership by changing who has permission but it is a slim hope.

Open Applications and right click Pro Tools. Select Get Info from the menu.
graphic
graphic
Give yourself Read/Write and close it, repair permissions.
If it has an Apply to enclosed folders, check it. Then you only need do this once.

That is why I wipe all used Macs so that this does not happen, without the installation disks including any serial numbers that software is like a used car with sawdust in the transmission. It will go for a time before it quits.

You are not the owner of that Mac even though you bought it and have you as the only user. The seller is still owner of record as far as the Mac cares.
The only way to become the owner is to wipe and erase the hard drive and start fresh. Then you become the owner.

Make sense?

That is the best I can do. I have dealt with this same thing myself and speak from experience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sigh...... Okay. Scrapping the barrel here for any last chances to avoid spending a lot more money....

The link you sent me was for Pro Tools v. 8.0.5 LE. I have Pro Tools HD 9. Is that what you are recommending - that I take a step backwards? If that what I need to do, I'll do it. Just checking to make sure that was an intentional choice on your part.

Sorry it's been taking a long time to get back to you. I work outside my studio (teaching) alot from Wednesdays on. Mon. and Tues. are my days to be home.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
You are stuck between a rock and a hard place here.
There really isn't any way to fix this without disks, which the seller did not provide.
I wish there were a way around this but that software will not allow it.

Sorry I could not be of more help.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.