Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

I have a mac, powerbook pro operating system 10.8.3. Mail

I have a mac, powerbook pro operating system 10.8.3. Mail no longer likes my password XXXXX my business email. It worked before and my password XXXXX fine when I go directly to my business email site. I can recieved my business email through mail, but can not send business emails using mail it gives me password XXXXX
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Your Mac requires regular maintenance, especially whenever Apple updates software.

Basic Maintenance

Repairing permissions is very important, it can prevent issues like this and usually fix them.

Repairing Permissions

Doing a clod start after helps, shut the Mac completely off and then back on.

Try that and let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have tried the above and mail will still not accept the password. I think it started when work mail required a symbol such as "!,?,&" as part of the password. Does this mess Mail up?

One thing that is worth trying is to retype the password XXXXX all the characters in Mail preferences.

Then save it, quit and reopen Mail and see what it does.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have tried that several times already, is there another place mail passwords are stored?

Yes, they are stored in Keychain. That is a utility you will find in Applications/Utilities.
Type in the email and it will list all instances for that.
Then double click one to get this.
After checking the Show button it will ask for your user password, then it will show you the password XXXXX record. It is changeable.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX my key chain was corrupted.