Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.
70409726

I am selling my iMac to a friend. I need to clear the hard

I am selling my iMac to a friend. I need to clear the hard drive but would like to include exsiting programs on the machine. I've already transferred my iTunes & iPhotos.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

The best way to erase your information but still keep the existing programs on your computer is to create a New Admin account and then erase your account. I can walk you through this process.

Appleologist :

Are you chatting from the computer that you are selling?

Customer:

no.

Appleologist :

Ok good. If you are near the iMac, is it possible to turn it on? If not, I can leave you with instructions on creating a new account and deleting the old one

Appleologist :

Hello, I am actually not offline. it is showing you are in standby mode

Appleologist :

There you are

Customer:

I apologize... my confused mistake.

Appleologist :

Ha ha.. Its ok

Appleologist :

Are you near the iMac?

Appleologist :

If so, can you power it on?

Customer:

yes

Appleologist :

Ok, let me know when it is on

Customer:

yes, powered up

Appleologist :

Ok great. Now click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose system preferences. Under Systems, choose User and Groups. Earlier versions may say accounts

Customer:

got it... done

Appleologist :

Ok in the bottom left corner, click on the lock and enter your computers password

Customer:

iunlocked

Appleologist :

Then right above the lock, click on the "+" sign. This will add your new account. Make sure you make the account an admin account. You can either name the account Admin or his name

Customer:

done

Appleologist :

Ok now there should be 2 accounts in the left column. Yours and the one you just created. Correct?

Customer:

yes

Appleologist :

Now click on the apple logo in the upper left corner again and choose Log out (last option). Sign into the newly created account

Customer:

Wow.. A ta da moment... Do I then delete previous accounts?

Appleologist :

Ha ha Yes. To do this, click on the apple logo again, choose system preferences and then choose accounts or user and groups

Customer:

got it

Appleologist :

Ok now press the lock again to make changes. Then select your old user account and then press the "-" to delete it

Appleologist :

Did you set a password XXXXX your friends account?

Customer:

- next to +

Appleologist :

Yes, select your account first and then press the "-" button that is next to the + sign

Customer:

Hmmm ger an error window that says Unable to remove the user Greg Wray An error occurred while backing up this user's home folder.

Appleologist :

When you choose delete, which option did you choose. it should give you 3 options

Customer:

The top one

Appleologist :

Choose the last one. Can you read it to me. Im sure it says erases all user data

Appleologist :

It should say delete home folder

Customer:

Delete home folder... Erase home folder securely

Appleologist :

Yes, choose the last one

Customer:

Ta Da!

Appleologist :

You are all set. Your old iMac is ready for delivery to your friend wrapped in a bow

Appleologist :

Was there anything els I can assist you with today?

Customer:

No, Thank you so much.

Appleologist :

You are very welcome. Have a fantastic Day

Appleologist :

You can now go ahead and rate my service and end the Chat. You can also get back to me anytime you want even after rating at http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-michelleblack/.

Appleologist :

By the way, I see you made a duplicate question. I already closed the duplicate question and took care of that

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.