Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.

Hi, Hello! I have an iMac using OS X 10.6.8. I am trying

Hello!
I have an iMac using OS X 10.6.8.
I am trying to copy on an external USBXXXXX
15 Gb of music... but I cannot.
I get a green Plus and number of items in red, seemd to copy, but nothing after the rainbow baloon 9wait.
Thanks.
Francois.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

So I can better assist you, I will need additional information. Is there anything els saved on your USB drive?

Customer:

No just bought it...

Appleologist :

Ok, Can you click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in disk utility

Customer:

ok

Appleologist :

In the left column do you see your USB drive?

Customer:

yes

Appleologist :

Select the USB drive. Then look at the bottom. Can you read me the format and available information?

Full Size Image

Customer:

Disk Description :Verbatim STORE N GO MediaTotal Capacity :15.5 GB (15,504,900,096 Bytes)

Connection Bus :USBWrite Status :Read/Write

Connection Type :ExternalS.M.A.R.T. Status :Not Supported

USB Serial Number :07073164DBD76E35Partition Map Scheme :Master Boot Record

Appleologist :

Thanks for the info, select your usb drive again and then select Partition

Customer:

ok

Appleologist :

Under Partition Layout, choose 1. Under format, make sure it is set to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Then choose apply

Customer:

Partition done...

Appleologist :

Ok now locate the music folder you are trying to copy

Customer:

Ok Playlist selected.

Appleologist :

Press Command+i Key to get info. You will see the GB size in the upper right corner

Appleologist :

What does it read?

Customer:

Right click offers to "Export" and other options...

Appleologist :

Do this instead, select the play list ,choose File from the finder menu and then choose get info

Customer:

Sorry, i am not getting it.

Customer:

in the Playlist

Appleologist :

Are you in itunes or in finder?

Customer:

I scrolled down and selected and clicked on the name of the list.

Appleologist :

Are you in iTunes or in Finder?

Customer:

I can see at the bottom that it has 2346 songs and total of 15.01 Gb

Customer:

i am in iTunes

Appleologist :

That may be your issue. You will need to copy your songs using finder. Click on the happy face icon in the dock to open finder. Do you see music in the left column?

Customer:

NO

Appleologist :

Is finder open?

Customer:

I see the devices, shared, Places i.e. Desktop, My fliles, documents, VLC, Downloads, Applications, and Search for

Appleologist :

Ok, then choose Go From the menu bar and then select home. You will then see all of your home folders

Customer:

Got it, I feel so bad to be so useless!!!

Customer:

i found Music

Appleologist :

Ha ha..Dont feel bad. Within the music folder, there will be an itunes folder. Select the folder and then choose File<Get info

Customer:

I found it.

Customer:

It is 26.36 GB, but that is my entire "Music".

Customer:

I just want to export some of it which I put in a Playlist.

Appleologist :

Ok is it just one playlist or multiple?

Customer:

Just one

Appleologist :

How many playlist have you created in itunes?

Appleologist :

You will need to export the playlist first in itunes before you transfer it

Appleologist :

So if you have multiple playlist you will need to do it a few times

Customer:

I have four (4) with grey wheel, and twenty nine 929) with the blue music symbol.

Customer:

All Playlist = 24 Gb

Customer:

Hummm How do I export a playlist first in iTunes? I thought I was in iTunes...

Customer:

and i only want to export one playlist...

Appleologist :

Lets try a few options first. This may be more a headache since exporting the playlist will only export the names of the songs and not the actual file. Now that your USB is formatted correctly, highlight the songs within the playlist and then drag them onto your USB drive

Customer:

I did, same as before. i get the green plus on a blue file, and the number of songs (files) in red. then the rainbow wheel, it thinks for a while, and the the red number goes back inside the playlist

Appleologist :

Yes thats what I thought which is why I wanted to know how may songs were in your playlist. Copying itunes from itunes does not get the actual music file itself. The actual music files are stored in itunes. So you will need to copy the individual playlist songs onto your external hard drive

Customer:

do you mean one by one?

Appleologist :

Yes, thats where the headache comes it. Are you trying to create a playlist to move it to another computer>

Customer:

NO, just to save and listen elsewhere, on a computer most like;ey. What do you have in mind?Ok I just try one, and it worked, now I am trying 200 and it seems to go. perhaps is there a limit to what can be transferred

Customer:

The 200 worked...

Appleologist :

The limit is the size limit on your external hard drive not the amount you can transfer at a time

Appleologist :

Yes so now if you want the playlist order, you can not export the playlist order from itunes and then transfer that onto your hard drive

Appleologist :

Do you care about the playlist order?

Customer:

Not really...

Appleologist :

ok then you can just keep the songs on the external drive. Are all of these songs purchased via itunes?

Customer:

no there all my CDs

Appleologist :

Oh ok. Are they all on the external hard drive now?

Customer:

oh no... I can only do a few at the time, I am trying 300 this time...

Customer:

500 was not accepted....

Appleologist :

Did it give you an error message?

Customer:

Yes, one song was "invisible"

Appleologist :

Are you able to skip over that song

Customer:

Let me see...

Appleologist :

ok

Customer:

Ok song deleted (Actually I am glad...)

Appleologist :

Ha ha great

Customer:

i am now trying 1000 fikes, might take 13 mn according to Mac

Appleologist :

Thats fine. Let me know when it is done

Customer:

It all went well. Thank YOU!

Appleologist :

You are very welcome :)

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Hi Francois,
Thank you for your kind words.
You can reach me directly here,
http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-michelleblack/.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Now one more question, for today.

How would it be possible to export the songs and be able to reorganize them alpha, or by gwnre etc as in i Yunes?

Thanks.

No worry if i do not reply, i am doing something else.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
To export songs you can actually just drag and drop into itunes. In your itunes library, you will notice Name, Time, Album, Artist, Genre etc. Click on Genre to organize them by Genre, Name or whatever you wish.
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist