Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

On my MacBook Pro 750, I thought I would check my mail and

On my MacBook Pro 750, I thought I would check my mail and got the following message:
Mail cannot be opened because of a problem.

Check with the developer to make sure Mail works with this version of OS X. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and OS X.

I have had this computer, with Mountain Lion, since August 2012 and have had no problems up until now. I would greatly appreciate your help. Thank you. Bill Overton
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

The first step in our troubleshooting process is to check for system updates. Can you click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose Software updates

Customer:

Hi Michelle,

Customer:

I did as you said and got a similar response, i.e. the same window as before but substituting "App Store" for the word "Mail."

Appleologist :

Did you get that response after trying to open the app store?

Customer:

No I just clicked on software update.

Appleologist :

Ok which updates are available?

Customer:

How do I determine that?

Appleologist :

When you click on software updates, it should either list available updates or it will say "your software is up to date" To check this again, click on the apple logo again and choose software updates

Customer:

I did and all I get is the pop-up window.

Appleologist :

Are you chatting from the troubled computer now?

Customer:

Yes

Appleologist :

Is there another computer or ipad that you can chat from?

Customer:

Yes an iPad

Appleologist :

Ok, can you resume our chat on your ipad. You should be able to click on the "View Answer" button in your email

Appleologist :

from your iPad

Customer:

I hate being stupid, but how do I get to the "View Answer" button?

Appleologist :

Do you see the email from Just Answer in your inbox?

Customer:

Apparently, it didn't come through to the iPad or my iPhone.

Appleologist :

Its ok, lets see if we can troubleshoot while using the machine. Can you tell me a little bit more about your issue. Did you drag mail to the desktop? Did you alter anything or complete a software update?

Customer:

I didn't drag anything recently, but there was an update recently, but I don't know what it was.

Appleologist :

It sounds the update needs to be re-installed. Before we do that, click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in disk utility

Customer:

Ok, then what. There are two items to click on

Appleologist :

Click on macintosh HD in the left column. Then select Repair Permissions

Appleologist :

While that is doing its thing, Click on this link to download the 10.8.3 update http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1640. Click on the Blue download button in the upper right corner

Customer:

OK. I did that and it said stopped by user.

Appleologist :

Hit repair permissions again. It looks like it was interrupted

Customer:

Sorry this has taken awhile. Not sure what all has taken place.

Appleologist :

Is Disk utility done?

Customer:

It now says Permissions repair complete.

Appleologist :

Ok great. You can go ahead and close disk utility

Appleologist :

Now you will need to download the 10.8.3 update

Customer:

Where/how do I find that?

Appleologist :

Click on this link and press the blue download button in the upper right corner

Customer:

OK, I did that.

Appleologist :

Did it start downloading?

Customer:

Yes.

Appleologist :

When it is done, click on it and follow the on screen instructions. This will also require you to restart your computer so you will need to bookmark this page so you can enter the chat again. To bookmark this page, click on Bookmarks in the top menu bar. Choose Add Bookmark

Customer:

OK Michelle, you did it, and I am sooo grateful. Great job. Thank you sooo much.

Appleologist :

You are very welcome. Thank you for your time and patience.

Appleologist :

Was there anything els I can assist you with?

Customer:

It was my pleasure. A little nerve racking on my end at times but you pulled me through.

Customer:

Nothing else thank you.

Appleologist :

You are soooo Welcome.

You can now go ahead and rate my service and end the Chat. Enjoy the rest of your day

Customer:

You have a great day too.

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.