Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

Hi, I just upgraded my iMac 10.6.8 to Snow Leopard and I dont

Customer Question

Hi, I just upgraded my iMac 10.6.8 to Snow Leopard and I don't have iPhoto anymore. The photos are backed up on an auxiliary hard drive. May I download iPhoto, and if so, what version and do I have to purchase it? Thanks!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

This is true, iPhoto 11 requires Lion or Mountain Lion.
However, your iPhoto should be 11 (version 9.4.2, this is the newest that your system can run.
This link will get it for you. Download and install.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I downloaded this but it did not have an install option.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry, that was the wrong version.
This is the one you want.

There is an orange spot to click for the download, do so but do not click any other place.
graphic
It will start to download.
graphic
Once it is done, double click it in that list to open. Then double click the installer and flow the instructions.
You may have to put a shortcut in the Doc, Just drag the app to the dock and push in making the other apps move aside before dropping it or it will move iPhoto to the desktop.

Try that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, trying it now.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Nancy.

You should also repair permissions, it will help prevent problems and improve performance.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
I forgot the file, getting tired.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I understand about tired, I feel the same way. It's okay! Can I click on "Repairing Permissions" at the same time I'm downloading the iPhoto app?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it will open in the browser and you can save it if you open it with Preview.
graphic
Then you can refer to it anytime. Your Mac can do more than one thing at a time.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, I will do that "repair permissions" another time. A snag: This is the message I got after installing iPhoto 9.4.2:

iPhoto 9.4.2 requires OS X version 10.7.5 or later. Mine is 10.6.8. I did have IPhoto before I recently got Snow Leopard. I know this computer is old but I want to keep it going for at least another year! Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
That is why I sent the other iPhoto, version 9.2.3, it however, goes to the new one.
Download@Authors Site Try that one.
That is a good link to the one you want.
You made sure iPhoto is not in Applications?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the download 9.4.2 is in Applications but it refuses to complete the installation. I will look on the Download@Authors Site. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have installed iPhoto 9.2.3 but this is what it says:

iPhoto 9.1.0 or later is required to install this update.

I do not know where my iPhoto application went when the local computer place installed Snow Leopard for me. I am so tired, I will wait for your reply and then I am going to have to quit. Is there a way we could continue this tomorrow? I do not want to be unkind, I appreciate your help, but I cannot review the help you gave until I am able to access IPhoto on my computer. I say this kindly but tiredly.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
I agree, let us pick this up tomorrow. There may be more to this than just iPhoto. Good night Nancy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, Daniel, I'll contact you tomorrow. I realize it's even later in your time zone! Good night and thank you! Nancy

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
I am online whenever you are ready Nancy. Let me know your progress.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Daniel, I will be with my grandkids until 4:30 or 5 Central Time today so I'll get back to you when I can! Nancy

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Enjoy them, the time fly by and then they are grown.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Daniel. I can work on this for awhile now if you are available. I think what happened is, my iPhoto program disappeared when the Snow Leopard was installed a couple of weeks ago. I have tried to get it but am running into barriers. Suggestions?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Apple has done you a major disservice, iPhoto for 10.6.8 is not available online as a download or to but without the whole iLife 11 DVD suite.

I suggest taking back to the Apple store where they did this upgrade and have them restore working applications.
They do have all the necessary install disks to fix this, they made this mess knowing that the new iPhoto will not run in Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

The alternative is this.
iLife '11 - Mac - DVD-ROM - English That will do two things, it gives you a backup in case you need to reinstall it sometime and it has iDVD, Garage Band and other software that require the new OS X versions.
Amazon also has it.

That is the best I can do, I have looked and looked but Apple has shut the door and locked it.
Hope that helps. I hope they did not lose the iPhoto library or that you have that backed up.
I do strongly recommend keeping a backup, I use Time Machine.
It is cheap insurance.

Let me know Nancy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Daniel! The good news is, I have my photos backed up on an external hard drive. The computer repair shop did this for me and installed Snow Leopard. It was not an Apple store. I am fairly close to the Apple store in the Mall of America so I think I'll just bring it in there if I have trouble with the iLife '11 (old version) software, but I may be able to do it.

My computer is in perfect condition, just outdated, and I feel I don't need a new one, but this rigamarole makes it seem inevitable that I will have to get one sometime. It irritates me though, because this serves my needs well except for the iPhoto thing.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Nancy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Daniel, if I rate your help now and then reply afterwards, do I get charged another $58? Just wondering!

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
No other charge as far as I know. Just stay away from the accept and rate, you will be fine.
Let me know if you have problems.
I have, at this time, a total of 20 Macs. 13 of which are a computer lab in my wife's classroom.
I, myself, use 5. one of which has Mountain Lion on it, I use it rarely. My main Mac has Snow Leopard 10.6.8, best OS X Apple made.
At least that is my opinion. The oldest working Mac I have is a 2001 MacBook, runs well, just cannot keep up with todays technology.

Installing iLife is a walk in the park, just read before clicking.

Enjoy and thank you for the bonus, I do appreciate it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dan, Well, it's good to know that you like Snow Leopard 10.6.8! Thanks for helping, I will just update you when I get it working! Wow! 20 Macs! I got started on Macs while teaching myself! Overall, I love 'em!

Nancy

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Enjoy, Nancy.