MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

My iPhone was exposed to salt water spray and will not play

My iPhone was exposed to salt water spray and will not play music now. The phone works and rings and it seems to have all it's functions except music.
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 1 year ago.

MacTechTrainer :

Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac. I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

Customer:

Ok

MacTechTrainer :

Are you seeing any distortion on your screen in terms of the video?

Customer:

No

MacTechTrainer :

Have you attempted to connect your iPhone to a computer with iTunes installed to see if you are able to at least re-sync your music from your iTunes library to your iPhone?

MacTechTrainer :

(Thank you for your patience in advance, as I have to ask these questions in order to better isolate what some of the symptoms of your technical issue are-- in order to work toward a more viable solution for you)

Customer:

Yes, I have done that. When I press the play button the time indicator moves, but no sound through the phone or headphones.

MacTechTrainer :

Ok let's try this:

MacTechTrainer :

What you can do, in order to resolve this issue, is start by resetting your Apple iOS device (i.e. iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch)
(Note: this does not remove any settings, data or media you have installed in your device)

• To perform a hard reset, press and hold your Sleep button (located on the top of device) and Home Menu button (located in the bottom middle of the device) for approximately 10 seconds.

• Once your screen goes black, release both keys. (If you see a white Apple logo before you release the keys you have held the keys to long and will need to start the reset process once again)

• The next screens you should see after the black screen, is the Apple logo screen followed by the main screen.

MacTechTrainer :

Then attempt to try playing your music- let me know if this helps

Customer:

Still doesn't play.

MacTechTrainer :

and you have performed a full factory restore with your iphone already, is this correct?

Customer:

Yes.

MacTechTrainer :

With that restore, I take you also restore all your media and data back to your iPhone from a previous back up, is this also right?

Customer:

Yes.

MacTechTrainer :

Now when the iPhone rings, can you actually listen to calls and speak through the phone or no?

MacTechTrainer :

(last question- thanks for being so patient)

Customer:

Yes. I have a custom ringtone that plays music. During the restore that was erased, but the regular ringtone still work.

MacTechTrainer :

I understand that, appreciate that info by the way-- but I need to know if you are able to receive a call and use the iPhone normally for listening and speak through the headset and mic of the phone.

Customer:

Yes.

MacTechTrainer :

Confirm my brief play by play here: You go to the music app on your iPhone, you select a song and whether connected with headset or without a headset, no music is heard, yet rigntones are heard and phone calls can be made and received

Customer:

Correct.

MacTechTrainer :

There is one final work around process I can have you try. The outcome of this process will determine if this will resolve the issue with your audio from your music play list works or not

Customer:

Ready.

MacTechTrainer :

what I want you to do is connect your iPhone to your computer with Tunes

Customer:

Done.

MacTechTrainer :

once you see the iPhone listed in the sidebar of the iTunes window, select it then go to the right side window and under Music, tab, uncheck the Sync Music checkbox

MacTechTrainer :

then sync your iPhone so that you will have no music on your iPhone

MacTechTrainer :

once you have done this and have confirmed that there is no music on your iPhone

MacTechTrainer :

I want you to go into iTunes, create a playlist and name it Test Music

MacTechTrainer :

then I want you to add 10 songs from your iTunes library and add them to that new playlist

MacTechTrainer :

Once you have done that, and with your iPhone still connected to your computer with iTunes, go into the Music tab and

MacTechTrainer :

re-check the Sync Music checkbox

MacTechTrainer :

once you do this, select the radio button: Select playlists, artists, albums and genres

MacTechTrainer :

and select only the Test Music playlist

MacTechTrainer :

Sync it to your iPhone and test the songs out in that test folder to see if any songs play.

MacTechTrainer :

update how it turns out

Customer:

Where is the radio button?

MacTechTrainer :

That is the round button located under the Sync Music section at the top of the Music page

Customer:

Ok, still not playing.

MacTechTrainer :

That is what I wanted to confirm. I'm afraid there has to be some part of the audio media component within the iPhone that may have been damaged by the salt water. There are no other ways other than to restore your iPhone again, to get this issue resolved. As a result, since how you have already performed a restore, I don't think performing another restore will work. My best advice, would be to take your iPhone in to your nearest Apple retail store Genius bar and have them take a look at this phone

Customer:

Okay.

MacTechTrainer :

From my experience, they will open the phone and check for any type of liquid damage with their resources there

MacTechTrainer :

I have known how they check iPhones for any physical or liquid damage for a while now

MacTechTrainer :

and that has not changed much

MacTechTrainer :

where you are residing now, are you by chance close to a local Apple Retail Store?

MacTechTrainer :

If so, I would be glad to help you set up an appointment if you are not sure how

Customer:

No, I am a country boy. I will have to make the trek.

MacTechTrainer :

Oh no won't need to do that then

MacTechTrainer :

How long have you owned your iPhone if I may ask and what model is it? (iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, 5,etc.)

Customer:

I have had the phone, a 4, since October, 2012.

MacTechTrainer :

did you purchase the 2 year AppleCare+ agreement for your iPhone when you purchased it?

Customer:

No.

MacTechTrainer :

What I would recommend you then is contact AppleCare Support at(NNN) NNN-NNNNas you may not necessarily have damage, but just may have a defective iPhone 4 which may work well in your favor, as by your approximate purchase date you still have a limited Apple warranty on your iPhone until October of this year

MacTechTrainer :

if you contact iPhone Support via that number, they may be able to assist you under warranty with either getting the device repaired or replaced

MacTechTrainer :

there will be no charge for repair or replacement if they determine the iPhone is not damaged but defective

MacTechTrainer :

if they determine your iPhone is not working because of some form of damage, there will be charges

MacTechTrainer :

but not as bad as you may think

Customer:

I will do that.

MacTechTrainer :

with the iPhone 4S and the iPhone 5, I believe (but don't quote me) iPhone 4s may be replaceable (if issue is not warranty covered) for just around $100-149 USD

MacTechTrainer :

So I wish you all the best on this!

MacTechTrainer :

You can reach AppleCare I believe from 5:00AM to 8:30 PM (Pacific Time)

MacTechTrainer :

If you are satisfied that I have resolved your question to your satisfaction, please feel free to rate my service as we are always glad to know how are customers feel about their experience with us. Your Positive Feedback is also very appreciated!

MacTechTrainer :

If all is well however, then there is no need to return. If you want to be cautious however, you are welcome to bookmark (or add to your Favorites if using Internet Explorer) this session in your web browser so you can come back to this session and alert me.

MacTechTrainer :

you received help from me, comes back.

MacTechTrainer :

And I thank you very much for allowing me to assist you. Keep in mind also, if you Accept any of my answers, it does not mean the session is over, especially if the issue

MacTechTrainer :

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you

Customer:

Thank you. I will bookmark.

MacTechTrainer :

Anytime!

Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years