MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

Hi, I have a mac and a very old version of Parallels (version

Hi, I have a mac and a very old version of Parallels (version 4.0). My Parallels Desktop won't open after I tried to install a student version of Simply Accounting. Is this because it is SO out of date?
Am I able to uninstall version 4.0 and then install version 8.0 without losing my Quickbooks and all its related information that is already installed in Windows?
Do you think this will then enable me to download my Simply Accounting, provided I have enough space (which I believe I do).

MacTechTrainer :

Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac. I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

MacTechTrainer :

When you noted in your question, that your Parallels Desktop won't open, do you mean it won't launch as normal for you, due to the installation of the Simply Accounting?

MacTechTrainer :

Hello are you online with me?

MacTechTrainer :

I see you are offline. When you are back online however, just reply back to this session, I will be alerted, whether I am online or off and will be able to assist you further.

MacTechTrainer :

Thanks for posting your question, I look forward to assisting you shortly.

MacTechTrainer :

Terry

MacTechTrainer :

Regards,

MacTechTrainer :

Sr. Mac Support Specialist

Customer: Hi, yes it won't launch since the attempted installation of simply accounting. It now displays the message that I posted in the "already tried" area.
Customer:

I'm online for the next little bit if you are available

MacTechTrainer :

Hello just found that you posted a few hours later yesterday

MacTechTrainer :

My apologies for missing you as I was offline when you did post. I am back online now and will be glad to assist you further if you still require some assistance with Parallels and the Simply Accounting issue

MacTechTrainer :

Prior to the Simply Accounting install attempt, had you ever backed up your Parallels Desktop a least once?

MacTechTrainer :

Let me know when you can?

MacTechTrainer :

(for the question mark)

MacTechTrainer :

Thank you!

MacTechTrainer :

Kind Regards,

MacTechTrainer :

-Terry

Customer:

I can't recall backing it up. I talked to a friend that said I should back up my computer to an external harddrive then uninstall version 4.0 with the "uninstall wizard" that comes with that version and then install version 8.0

Customer:

This should resolve my issue, I'm hoping. I just want to make sure that if I get rid of my parallels and install a newer version that I will still have everything that was on windows. I have Quickbooks on there currently and use that to do bookkeeping. I am not able to redo all the books and therefore want to make sure I won't lose that data if I do what I was instructed. Backing up to time machine should make sure everything is safe?

Customer:

I am running errands today and so will check in periodically. I am keeping this window open while I'm not physically at my computer so forgive me if I don't respond right away.