Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

Having an iCloud sync problem... I have four devices: iMac,

Having an iCloud sync problem... I have four devices: iMac, MacBook, iPad and iPhone. For purposes of this conversation, we will call the iMac the "Main computer". This is the device that seems to have all the information up to date as I want it. I am signed in using iCloud on all four devices. It appears that certain functions update across all four and some don't. For example, in MacMail, all the mailboxes and messages appear to be working properly, but there is one mailbox that I use quite often that simply does not appear on the laptop. In Safari, the bookmarks sync -- but sometimes it takes hours for them to do so. And the "reading list" feature doesn't work right: I just added a page to it using the iPad and it popped up on all four devices indicating that the feature works, but each devices has a slightly different group of "reading list" pages (they don't all sync together). And when I deleted the newly added page using the iMac, it disappeared from three of the devices, but not from the iPad. Finally, the "Notes" feature in the iPad seems screwy. When I look to see a list of my notes, some of them appear three or four times in the index. It seems like there must be a setting somewhere that needs to be checked to allow all of the devices the same privilege to add and delete material so they can all sync to be exactly the same. Any thoughts on this?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

I do but it will not make any difference in the way it works.
It is not your devices or the way you have it setup (I am fairly sure).
It is iCloud itself, Apple has a nice setup with the iCloud but it has limits. Many users, many things to sync and more than one OS to deal with.
It is a juggling act that works 99% of the time, once in a while things get a bit confused.
One thing that can help is resetting your iOS devices when things get a bit wonky.

To reset the iPad press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons down until the Apple appears, ignore all other screens, then let go.
graphic
graphic
This does a system reset much like a restart of your computer does.

Same for all iOS devices.
The MacBook is different, a restart will reset the iCloud sync.
That is all that can be done for this on your end.

Hope that helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, I figured as much. Do you think there is at least any way to get the notes feature to work properly on the iPad? So that the same note doesn't appear three or four times in a row?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It actually does the same thing on the iPhone

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
What does the same on the iPhone? The reset? Yes, it works the same on all iOS devices.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, the Notes feature is having the same problem on both devices (ipad & iPhone). Every entry shows up three or four different times.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
It is caught in a loop.
Resetting the iCloud up on those devices may help.

How many accounts do you have? That can cause this, if only one try this on the MacBook and iMac.
Hold the Option key if needed for your home library.
Or use the Go menu to locate this.

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.notes

You can copy/paste that here.
graphic
graphic

Well not actually in the image.

See if that helps. High success reported.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.