Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I have just tried to login to my mac.com email account and

I have just tried to login to my mac.com email account and told that the password XXXXX XXXXX I know it is the right one that I have entered, i have tried to go to the password XXXXX page and when it asks for my DOB it says it is wrong...
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Where were you trying to sign in?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I received a notification on my tablet saying it couldn't retrieve my mail as the password XXXXX wrong, I tried to log on to no avail I all tried on my laptop again didn't work

Tablet as in iPad?
I suggest deleting the account on the iPad and reset it up using known good info.
Try that and let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No its not an iPad but an android tablet but that doesn't explain that I couldn't log on from my laptop either? I tried to go through the password XXXXX routine on the apple support page but again it said my password XXXXX wrong, I eventually got through on the manage my apple I'd page but still couldn't log in to my email?

Your email password XXXXX Apple ID are not the same even though they are Apple.
This may help.