MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

The Safari browser on the imac takes forever to download if

Customer Question

The Safari browser on the imac takes forever to download if at all. It seems to have slowed after i put mcafee All Access on. I have subsequently removed from the finder and emptied the trash but the problem with the browser is as bad, if not , worst!
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 1 year ago.

MacTechTrainer :

Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac. I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

Customer:

Hi Terry

MacTechTrainer :

Hello, and thank you for contacting us. I look forward to assisting you with your question

MacTechTrainer :

If I may ask, when you say the Safari browser takes time to download, is it when you use Safari to download files from other websites to your computer (from Safari) that take so long for you?

MacTechTrainer :

(Just clarifying)

Customer:

Just browsing takes forever, and just now it seem to stop completely. When downloading there is no reponse, my daughter tried downloading one song from itunes and in 2hrs nothing happened, it seems that internet access is a general issue. My other devices are working ok with the network. I have tried clearing old files from the imac and changed the DNS a popular "fix2 seen on you tube, but there seems to be no improvement.

MacTechTrainer :

Thanks for that information- very good to know

MacTechTrainer :

so what I would like to do for starters to help you here if I may is this procedure"

MacTechTrainer :

Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:

MacTechTrainer :

• Once your Mac is shutdown, you will need to perform what is called a PRAM reset (Parameter RAM)

MacTechTrainer :

• Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously .

MacTechTrainer :

This should help with the freezing issue:

MacTechTrainer :

• Turn on the computer.

MacTechTrainer :

• First, hold in your power button for approximately 10 seconds to do a hard shutdown.

MacTechTrainer :

• Now, hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the third time.

MacTechTrainer :

• Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

MacTechTrainer :

• Release the keys and allow the Mac to start up.

MacTechTrainer :

• Please update me to let me know if this works.

MacTechTrainer :

What I would like to see is if the PRAM reset will help with the latency issues as well as the significant performance lag you have been experiencing with your Safari browser

MacTechTrainer :

Hello, I see you back online now. Did the suggested procedure help?

Customer:

Sorry, the pc had updated an automatically shutdown. I can see your answer on my phone but not great.For some reason the answer hasn't reloaded on this page. I have "hard shut" the mac down, can see the CMD R & P buttons, which one is the Options button?

MacTechTrainer :

No problem

MacTechTrainer :

sorry about that- the button right to the left of the left side CMD button may actually say "Alt / Option"

MacTechTrainer :

but that is the button you need to complete the procedure

MacTechTrainer :

thanks for telling me that, I will make that more plain for future deliveries of this procedure

Customer:

Can you re-send procedure, I have lost the answer I could see on the phone!

MacTechTrainer :

Sure can!

MacTechTrainer :

MacTechTrainer :

MacTechTrainer :

MacTechTrainer :

MacTechTrainer :

MacTechTrainer :

• Turn on the computer.

MacTechTrainer :

MacTechTrainer :

MacTechTrainer :

MacTechTrainer :

Customer:

mac starting up now. I will get onto safari as soon as I can. will stay on line and get back to you.

MacTechTrainer :

Ok I will be here until we get this issue resolved- so take your time

Customer:

I tried going into a website I had no history on the mac with and it worked fine for several pages, I then opened top sites and tried a website there and the browser froze again as the site started to download, the blue hihlight just covering the website name and then stalling. Tried opening several more windows and the same happened again. I have seen this pattern of events before?

MacTechTrainer :

Got a thought, just from what you just pointed out

MacTechTrainer :

since this performance issue, have you tried resetting your Safari and clearing its cache files?

MacTechTrainer :

it almost seems like Safari has been bogged down in it cache files (previous copies of the same websites you have visited)

Customer:

I am not sure, done so many things. Please take me through the procedure.

MacTechTrainer :

sure, no problem

MacTechTrainer :

make sure you have Safari selected as the primary web browser

MacTechTrainer :

or application rather

Customer:

OK

MacTechTrainer :

once you do this, you should see the Safari name in the upper left corner of your screen near the Apple menu icon

Customer:

yep got it

MacTechTrainer :

select the Safari name and from the drop down menu, select Reset Safari

MacTechTrainer :

Now keep in mind

MacTechTrainer :

if you are chatting with me via the same Safari browser, you will reset your windows

Customer:

No i am on a laptop using windows 7

MacTechTrainer :

and will need to come back to this chat

MacTechTrainer :

ok good

MacTechTrainer :

so am I:)

MacTechTrainer :

otherwise, go ahead and Reset Safari

MacTechTrainer :

then try surfing around again

Customer:

Nope wont do anything now. tried typing in search names but blue highlight bar doesnt progress across the address bar at all!

MacTechTrainer :

Thanks for trying. If you click the black Apple menu icon and select About this Mac, can you tell me what version of Mac OS X you are running currently on your iMac?

Customer:

10.7.5

MacTechTrainer :

Ok I have another process for you. Please be patient with me if you would, as it is just a bit more detailed

Customer:

Ok

MacTechTrainer :

Thanks for your patience

MacTechTrainer :

what I would like to do per this procedure, is to help you locate and remove your com.apple.safari.plist file and the Caches folder to the trash

MacTechTrainer :

this will typically clear Safari of any any problematic property and cache files, which is damaged or corrupted can adversely affect the performance of your web browser

MacTechTrainer :

So on that note, if you would, please open a new Finder window

MacTechTrainer :

and once you open that new Finder window, click on the house icon on the left side bar of the open Finder window, that displays your user account's short name

MacTechTrainer :

click on it to enter and view the contents of your home folder

MacTechTrainer :

once in the home folder, tell me if you see a Library folder listed amongst the other folders

Customer:

Umm Finder window is open, Top left I have favourites with All my files highlighted. Can't see an obvious house icon

MacTechTrainer :

Now worries, that is what I need to know

MacTechTrainer :

what I need you to do now, is click the Finder window if not already selected and then you should now see Finder near the black Apple menu as the primary application

MacTechTrainer :

click on the Finder name and select Preferences from the drop down menu

MacTechTrainer :

then from the Finder Preferences window that pops up, click on Sidebar from the four menu icons

MacTechTrainer :

check to see if the house icon is checked or unchecked

Customer:

unchecked

MacTechTrainer :

check it and then close out of Finder Preferences

MacTechTrainer :

you should now see the house icon with your short username listed in the Finder window

MacTechTrainer :

that is your Home folder

Customer:

yep can see it now

MacTechTrainer :

Ok look for the Library folder in your Home folder

MacTechTrainer :

you may not see it because it is hidden

MacTechTrainer :

I need to know if you can :)

Customer:

Can't see a library folder. Have Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Public etc.

MacTechTrainer :

That is what I thought. Now we need to see that folder so I am going to provide you a quick procedure on just how to do that

MacTechTrainer :

With Mac OS X 10.8 Lion and Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, your Library is hidden. For this procedure you need to unhide your User Library first. To do this:

MacTechTrainer :

Make sure Finder is active near the Apple menu icon

MacTechTrainer :

then go across the Finder menu bar and select Go and then Utilities from the drop down menu

MacTechTrainer :

Once you are in the Utilities page, locate and launch the Terminal application

MacTechTrainer :

Let me know when it is open-

Customer:

Terminal application open

MacTechTrainer :

you should see a screen that comes up with a prompt that looks like this: username$

Customer:

yes that is what I see

MacTechTrainer :

chflags nohidden /Users/<Username>/Library

MacTechTrainer :

Use this command line by changing the user name with yours

MacTechTrainer :

and pasting that into the Terminal window next to your username$

MacTechTrainer :

once you do that and it matches what I have listed above, with your correct username

MacTechTrainer :

please Enter or Return on your keyboard

MacTechTrainer :

remember to not make extra spaces with that command, because the syntax won't work if it is altered in anyway, other than you replacing username with your iMac's login username

MacTechTrainer :

if all goes well with this command, your screen in Terminal will take you back to the username$ prompt

Customer:

It has done so!

MacTechTrainer :

Good show!

MacTechTrainer :

now you should be able to look right into your Finder window's Home folder and see a Library folder now

Customer:

Perhaps I didn't complete it correctly, i can't see a library folder. I did put a gap between chflags and nohidden should it be all one word? i didn't put spaces in the rest of the address.

MacTechTrainer :

If you did not receive any error when you pressed enter, that folder should be there. So before trying Terminal again, quit that current Finder window

MacTechTrainer :

and then re-open a new Finder window, click on the house icon and check again

Customer:

Still can't see a library folder on clicking the house icon.

MacTechTrainer :

Ok this may help-

MacTechTrainer :

click this link to view this very short guide: Unhide Lion

MacTechTrainer :

Once you do see your library folder in the Home folder, proceed to these next steps below:
( to re-hide your Library, repeat the same process above but type in chflags nohidden ~/Library/ and then press Enter or Return on your keyboard)

• From your desktop, click anywhere on a blank space on your desktop. Now you should see Finder listed near the Apple menu icon.

• From the Finder menu, click on Go, then Home from the drop-down menu. This will take you to your Home folder.

• Locate and open the Library folder

• Within Library folder look for the Preferences folder and open it.

• Locate and remove to the Trash, these files:
com.apple.Safari.plist

Once you have removed these files, then click the back button on your open Finder window. This will return you to the Library view.

• Locate and Trash the folder entitled Caches

Once you have done that, close all windows, click on the Apple menu icon located in the upper left corner of your screen and select Logout , so you can log out of your user account.

*Once you are logged out, simply log back in. This actions will restore all the files and folders you just trashed, with new copies of each of them.

*Now attempt to re-launch Safari

Customer:

That did it, folder now visible....I had missed a space out.

MacTechTrainer :

Excellente!

MacTechTrainer :

I had no doubt you would get it- sometimes just takes a few tries

Customer:

Just followed the procedure after unhiding the library folder, and on logging back in I still have a stuck browser bar in Safari?

MacTechTrainer :

Thanks for the update. Now when you say "stuck browser bar" what exactly happens?

MacTechTrainer :

Do you see a spinning pinwheel for example whenever you attempt to use the browser bar?

Customer:

No spinning wheel. I cleared the address bar and put some web searches in. The first 4 to 6 pages loaded really fast, but then the next attempt resulted in theblue highlghting bar only progressing a small distance in the browser. The same effect as I have seen before.

MacTechTrainer :

Is this occurring whenever you access any website or just one website

Customer:

Any website. I have tried different ones / combinations.

MacTechTrainer :

Before I continue, I have to say I always work to provide as much courtesy to our value customers such as yourself, on cases where the solutions may take longer

MacTechTrainer :

So on that note, I just wanted to find out, how are you as far as your current time?

MacTechTrainer :

are we ok to continue, or do you have to leave soon for any other engagement or important event?

Customer:

Starting to fade a bit, I was up at 03:00 this morning it is now 22:45... I am happy to plug on for another 15 mins or so but if you think this will take longer then not sure if you can provide some options to me via e-mail for me to try tomorrow?

MacTechTrainer :

I have another process, but you know, its ok if we table this until tomorrow, because it may take longer. I will be here all day tomorrow as well

MacTechTrainer :

Bookmark this session in your web browser and when you are ready to return, just come back to that bookmark and post a reply or update in the chat.

MacTechTrainer :

I will be alerted you are looking to resume the session with me, even if I am offline

MacTechTrainer :

that is how you can get back to this session if you have to call it the night

MacTechTrainer :

I will be back online tomorrow morning 5:30 AM Pacific Standard Time

MacTechTrainer :

I am in California USA and it is currently 3:50PM (PST)

MacTechTrainer :

so we appear to be 7 hours difference in time

Customer:

Basic, I know, but how do I book mark this page in windows explorer?

MacTechTrainer :

You just let me know how you would like to go

MacTechTrainer :

For Internet Explorer, bookmarks are known as Favorites

MacTechTrainer :

to save a favorite, you can go to the Favorites on the menu and select from that menu

MacTechTrainer :

to add a Favorite (ala Bookmark)

MacTechTrainer :

and you should be able to save the web page

MacTechTrainer :

of our session

Customer:

Ok, I need to call it a night and I will target to get back on line some where between 11:00 and 14:00 (PST). Thanks for your help so far. Have saved page in favourites. Thanks again. chat tomorrow.

MacTechTrainer :

Will do indeed

MacTechTrainer :

I look forward to it- hope you have a good rest

MacTechTrainer :

Cheers!

Customer:

Hi, I think the problem is solved! I had shut the mac down last night, and when i opened it this evening I did a PRAM re-set. It seems that it may have worked this time. Looking at the behaviour of the machine on pressing the buttons I wonder if it didn't work the first time around. I will continue using the mac to check that all is ok.

MacTechTrainer :

Alright- now that is a good update!

MacTechTrainer :

Just saw your post, so I jumped online to connect with you as soon as I could

MacTechTrainer :

Keep that PRAM reset procedure in mind, because it is a great process to use when it comes to apps as well as web browsers like Safari!

MacTechTrainer :

Since your post, are you finding that you are able to surf around to different websites ok?

Customer:

Seems ok now. Have used for about 20 mins going to various sites and it seems to be performing OK.

MacTechTrainer :

Wonderful! - That is a good sign indeed

Customer:

Thanks for your help. Hopefully the issue is resolved and my daughter can get back to Tumbler!

MacTechTrainer :

You are most welcome

Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years