MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

Download Safari

Customer Question

The Safari browser on the iMac takes forever to download if at all. It seems to have slowed after I put MacAfee All Access on. I have subsequently removed from the finder and emptied the trash but the problem with the browser is as bad, if not, worse!

Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 2 years ago.

MacTechTrainer:

Welcome to JustAnswer.com!

MacTechTrainer:

When you say the Safari browser takes time to download, is it when you use Safari to download files from other websites to your computer (from Safari) that take so long for you?

Customer:

Just browsing takes forever, and just now it seem to stop completely. When downloading there is no response, my daughter tried downloading one song from iTunes and in 2hrs nothing happened, it seems that internet access is a general issue. My other devices are working ok with the network. I have tried clearing old files from the iMac and changed the DNS a popular "fix2 seen on you tube, but there seems to be no improvement.

MacTechTrainer:

Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:

MacTechTrainer:

• Once your Mac is shutdown, you will need to perform what is called a PRAM reset (Parameter RAM).

MacTechTrainer:

• Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously.

MacTechTrainer:

This should help with the freezing issue:

MacTechTrainer:

• Turn on the computer.

MacTechTrainer:

• First, hold in your power button for approximately 10 seconds to do a hard shutdown.

MacTechTrainer:

• Now, hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the third time.

MacTechTrainer:

• Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

MacTechTrainer:

• Release the keys and allow the Mac to start up.

MacTechTrainer:

What I would like to see is if the PRAM reset will help with the latency issues as well as the significant performance lag you have been experiencing with your Safari browser.

MacTechTrainer:

Did the suggested procedure help?

Customer:

The pc had updated an automatically shutdown. I can see your answer on my phone but not great. For some reason the answer hasn't reloaded on this page. I have "hard shut" the Mac down; I can see the CMD R & P buttons, which one is the Options button?

MacTechTrainer:

The button right to the left of the left side CMD button may actually say "Alt / Option".

MacTechTrainer:

That is the button you need to complete the procedure.

MacTechTrainer:

I will make that more plain for future deliveries of this procedure.

Customer:

Can you re-send procedure; I have lost the answer I could see on the phone!

MacTechTrainer:

MacTechTrainer:

MacTechTrainer:

MacTechTrainer:

This should help with the freezing issue.

MacTechTrainer:

MacTechTrainer:

• Turn on the computer.

MacTechTrainer:

MacTechTrainer:

MacTechTrainer:

Customer:

My Mac is starting up now. I will get onto safari as soon as I can.

Customer:

I tried going into a website I had no history on the Mac with and it worked fine for several pages. I then opened top sites and tried a website there and the browser froze again as the site started to download. The blue highlight just covered the website name and then stalling. Tried opening several more windows and the same happened again. I have seen this pattern of events before?

MacTechTrainer:

Since this performance issue, have you tried resetting your Safari and clearing its cache files?

MacTechTrainer:

It almost seems like Safari has been bogged down in it cache files (previous copies of the same websites you have visited)?

Customer:

I am not sure; I’ve done so many things. Please take me through the procedure.

MacTechTrainer:

Make sure you have Safari selected as the primary web browser or application.

MacTechTrainer:

Once you do this, you should see the Safari name in the upper left corner of your screen near the Apple menu icon.

Customer:

Yes I got it.

MacTechTrainer:

Select the Safari name and from the drop down menu, select Reset Safari.

MacTechTrainer:

If you are chatting with me via the same Safari browser, you will reset your windows.

Customer:

No I am on a laptop using windows 7.

MacTechTrainer:

Otherwise, go ahead and Reset Safari!

MacTechTrainer:

Then try surfing around again.

Customer:

No it won’t do anything now. I tried typing in search names but blue highlight bar doesn’t progress across the address bar at all!

MacTechTrainer:

If you click the black Apple menu icon and select about this Mac, can you tell me what version of Mac OS X you are running currently on your iMac?

Customer:

10.7.5

MacTechTrainer:

What I would like to do per this procedure, is to help you locate and remove your com.apple.safari.plist file and the Caches folder to the trash.

MacTechTrainer:

This will typically clear Safari of any problematic property and cache files, which is damaged or corrupted, can adversely affect the performance of your web browser.

MacTechTrainer:

Open a new Finder window.

MacTechTrainer:

Once you open that new Finder window, click on the house icon on the left side bar of the open Finder window, which displays your user account's short name.

MacTechTrainer:

Click on it to enter and view the contents of your home folder.

MacTechTrainer:

Once it’s in the home folder, tell me if you see a Library folder listed amongst the other folders.

Customer:

Finder window is open, top left I have favorites with all my files highlighted. I can't see an obvious house icon.

MacTechTrainer:

Click the Finder window if not already selected and then you should now see Finder near the black Apple menu as the primary application.

MacTechTrainer:

Click on the Finder name and select Preferences from the drop down menu.

MacTechTrainer:

Then from the Finder Preferences window that pops up, click on Sidebar from the four menu icons.

MacTechTrainer:

Check to see if the house icon is checked or unchecked.

Customer:

It’s unchecked.

MacTechTrainer:

Check it and then close out of Finder Preferences.

MacTechTrainer:

You should now see the house icon with your short username listed in the Finder window.

MacTechTrainer:

That is your Home folder.

Customer:

Yes I can see it now.

MacTechTrainer:

Ok look for the Library folder in your Home folder.

MacTechTrainer:

You may not see it because it is hidden.

Customer:

I can't see a library folder I have Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Public etc.

MacTechTrainer:

That is what I thought. Now we need to see that folder.

MacTechTrainer:

With Mac OS X 10.8 Lion and Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, your Library is hidden. For this procedure you need to unhide your User Library first.

MacTechTrainer:

Make sure Finder is active near the Apple menu icon.

MacTechTrainer:

Then go across the Finder menu bar and select Go and then Utilities from the drop down menu.

MacTechTrainer:

Once you are in the Utilities page, locate and launch the Terminal application.

MacTechTrainer:

Let me know when it is open.

Customer:

The terminal application is open.

MacTechTrainer:

You should see a screen that comes up with a prompt that looks like this: username$.

Customer:

Yes that is what I see.

MacTechTrainer:

chflags nohidden /Users/<Username>/Library

MacTechTrainer:

Use this command line by changing the user name with yours.

MacTechTrainer:

And pasting that into the Terminal window next to your username$.

MacTechTrainer:

Once you do that and it matches what I have listed above, with your correct username.

MacTechTrainer:

Enter or Return on your keyboard.

MacTechTrainer:

Remember to not make extra spaces with that command, because the syntax won't work if it is altered in anyway, other than you replacing username with your iMac's login username.

MacTechTrainer:

If all goes well with this command, your screen in Terminal will take you back to the username$ prompt.

Customer:

It has done so!

MacTechTrainer:

Now you should be able to look right into your Finder window's Home folder and see a Library folder now.

Customer:

Perhaps I didn't complete it correctly; I can't see a library folder. I did put a gap between chflags and nohidden should it be all one word? I didn't put spaces in the rest of the address.

MacTechTrainer:

If you did not receive any error when you pressed enter, that folder should be there. So before trying Terminal again, quit that current Finder window

MacTechTrainer:

Then re-open a new Finder window, click on the house icon and check again.

Customer:

Still can't see a library folder on clicking the house icon.

MacTechTrainer:

Click this link to view this very short guide: Unhide Lion

MacTechTrainer:

Once you do see your library folder in the Home folder, proceed to these next steps below:
( to re-hide your Library, repeat the same process above but type in chflags nohidden ~/Library/ and then press Enter or Return on your keyboard)

• From your desktop, click anywhere on a blank space on your desktop. Now you should see Finder listed near the Apple menu icon.

• From the Finder menu, click on Go, then Home from the drop-down menu. This will take you to your Home folder.

• Locate and open the Library folder

• Within Library folder look for the Preferences folder and open it.

• Locate and remove to the Trash, these files:
com.apple.Safari.plist

Once you have removed these files, then click the back button on your open Finder window. This will return you to the Library view.

• Locate and Trash the folder entitled Caches

Once you have done that, close all windows, click on the Apple menu icon located in the upper left corner of your screen and select Logout, so you can log out of your user account.

*Once you are logged out, simply log back in. This action will restore all the files and folders you just trashed, with new copies of each of them.

*Now attempt to re-launch Safari

Customer:

That did it, folder now visible. I had missed a space out.

Customer:

Just followed the procedure after un-hiding the library folder, and on logging back in I still have a stuck browser bar in Safari?

MacTechTrainer:

Now when you say "stuck browser bar" what exactly happens?

MacTechTrainer:

Do you see a spinning pinwheel for example whenever you attempt to use the browser bar?

Customer:

No spinning wheel. I cleared the address bar and put some web searches in. The first 4 to 6 pages loaded really fast, but then the next attempt resulted in the blue highlighting bar only progressing a small distance in the browser. The same effect as I have seen before.

MacTechTrainer:

Is this occurring whenever you access any website or just one website?

Customer:

Any websites I have tried different ones / combinations.

MacTechTrainer:

I just wanted to find out, how are you as far as your current time?

Customer:

I think the problem is solved! I had shut the Mac down last night, and when I opened it this evening I did a PRAM re-set. It seems that it may have worked this time. Looking at the behavior of the machine on pressing the buttons I wonder if it didn't work the first time around. I will continue using the Mac to check that all is ok.

MacTechTrainer:

Keep that PRAM reset procedure in mind, because it is a great process to use when it comes to apps as well as web browsers like Safari!

MacTechTrainer:

Since your post, are you finding that you are able to surf around to different websites ok?

Customer:

It seems ok now I have used for about 20 minutes going to various sites and it seems to be performing OK.

Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years