Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.
70409726

My Ipad shuts down when I go to ibook store

Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

So I can better assist you, I will need additional information. Does it completely power down or does it just quit the ibook store

Customer:

It returns to the main screen that displays varius apps

Appleologist :

Ok Lets try a soft reset first to see if that will resolve your issue. Press and hold both the sleep and home button at the same time until the apple logo appears. The sleep button is located at the upper right corner and the home button is the round button on the bottom front bezel of the ioad

Appleologist :

ipad

Customer:

got the apple

Appleologist :

Ok when it boots back up, try to launch the ibook store

Customer:

can not get ibook icon to hold

Appleologist :

Lets try to delete it and re-download. Press and hold the ibook app until it wiggles. Press the x

Customer:

It says delete Ibooks will also delete all oi its data. I have over $2000.00 in books. will I get them back?

Appleologist :

Absolutely. Your itunes account is what holds your books, not the actual app. You will need to re-download them

Customer:

ok deleted

Appleologist :

Ok now go back to the app store, search for it and re-download it

Customer:

The only install is Books 3 that requires ios5-do not have

Appleologist :

Book 3?

Appleologist :

Type in iBooks

Customer:

Ibooks 3

Appleologist :

Are you typing in ibooks in the search box or ibooks 3?

Customer:

don't now what I did but ibooks is loading on -said unable to do - it has started again

Appleologist :

So it is trying to download again?

Customer:

unable to download says I have to go to Itunes

Customer:

going to itunes

Appleologist :

Thats strange. itunes does not carry apps.

Appleologist :

What is displaying when you open itunes?

Customer:

Apple terms & agreement

Appleologist :

Ok, go ahead and click on accept or agree

Appleologist :

Since the terms and conditions change frequently, you will need to accept it when it does

Customer:

There is no agree

Appleologist :

Its all the way at the bottom

Appleologist :

Scroll until you are unable to scroll any further

Customer:

I did it only says revised dec 6 2012

Appleologist :

Ok, then do you have an option to exit?

Customer:

can go bavk

Appleologist :

Ok go back and quit itunes. Instead, click on settings. In the left column click on iTunes and App store. If you are running an earlier version, it may say store

Customer:

scrren says tunes store term and conitions for every country

Customer:

Right side says legal info

Appleologist :

It sounds like you are in safari

Appleologist :

Click on the home button

Customer:

how did I get there?

Appleologist :

I have no idea ha ha. Lets start over. Ok Click on the App store (Blue A icon)

Customer:

has 11 updates- nothing now for ibooks

Appleologist :

Click on Featured at the bottom menu bar

Customer:

done

Appleologist :

Now in the search box in the upper right corner, type in ibooks

Customer:

done- clicked on ibooks for I pad-there is an ibooks install

Appleologist :

ok now click on install

Customer:

update required - IOS5

Appleologist :

Ok, click on the home button, click on settings and then choose general

Customer:

done

Appleologist :

Click on about. Can you read me your version number>

Customer:

4.3.1

Appleologist :

Ok, so that is your issue. You are behind so some of your apps will soon do the same. No worries, this is a simple fix. Do you have itunes installed on your computer?

Customer:

Who knows? and how do I get there without losing you?

Appleologist :

Are you using a mac or PC/

Customer:

PC and do I have to connect my IPad to the computor?

Appleologist :

Yes you do. Do you have the charging cable that came with your ipad?

Customer:

yes-I will connect to pc

Appleologist :

OK, iTunes should automatically open if you have it installed

Customer:

IPad says sync in progress

Appleologist :

Ok in the left column under device, click on your ipad

Customer:

get out of general?

Appleologist :

In itunes on your computer, not your ipad. In the left column in itunes on your computer do you see your ipad listed under devices?

Customer:

I tunes has not come up

Appleologist :

Click on your start menu in the bottom left corner and choose programs. Is itunes listed there?

Customer:

yes

Appleologist :

Ok, click on it to open it

Customer:

Lose you when I do that-I do see devices

Appleologist :

I will still be here, you will just need to float back and fourth between itunes and internet explore. Under devices, click on your ipad. You will then see a picture of your ipad. Underneath the picture of your ipad, you will see the update button. Click on that

Customer:

did-says I have to update I tunes before I can update Ipad

Appleologist :

You are just out of date all over the place :) No problem, click on this link to download the current version of itunes. The link will open up in a new window so you will not loose me http://www.apple.com/itunes/

Customer:

do I want to run or save download?never mind it's doing it all by itself

Appleologist :

Ok, make sure you close itunes

Customer:

It says I neeed to download libraray or I will lose books

Appleologist :

Is it asking you to backup?

Customer:

yes

Appleologist :

What are your options?

Appleologist :

Ok, choose backup

Customer:

continue or cancel

Customer:

options are continue or cancel

Appleologist :

continue

Appleologist :

wait

Appleologist :

What is it asking?

Customer:

What am I doing in I cloud and is my password XXXXX same as I Books?

Appleologist :

Yes

Appleologist :

iCloud stores all of your books

Customer:

8 min remaining

Appleologist :

OK good. Almost there

Customer:

now it is backing up IPad

Appleologist :

Ok good

Appleologist :

Did you press the update button or did it just back up on its own

Customer:

baked up on its own

Appleologist :

Ok, when it is done, go ahead and click on the update button

Customer:

do I leave Itunes?

Appleologist :

No, you will need to stay in itunes to updates. Within itunes on your computer, under devices in the left column, click on your ipad and then choose update

Customer:

ok

Customer:

this is staking forever

Appleologist :

I know, after the update is complete, you will be done. For future reference, whenever you receive an update notification, its best to do it then. When updates start to accumulate, the process is much longer

Customer:

now preparing to restore

Appleologist :

Ok, that is the last step

Customer:

I never went to IPad to update

Appleologist :

Since you had an older version, updates could only be completed via itunes. Now with the newer version, you will be able to update your ipad from the device itself

Customer:

still restoring

Appleologist :

On your ipad you should see a progress bar, har far is it?

Customer:

no progress bar showing right now

Customer:

Ipad is black screen

Appleologist :

Ok

Appleologist :

The progress bar should show up soon

Customer:

says I am backed up but no progress baTurned on by self-asking if I want to set up Icloud?

Appleologist :

Is this displaying on your ipad?

Customer:

yes

Appleologist :

Oh..Then it is done :) Yes choose to setup icloud and enter in your apple ID and password

Customer:

still don't have I Books

Appleologist :

Yes, you will need to re-download it. This time, you will not get that error. Before we do that, click on settings, choose general and then select about. can you read me the version number

Customer:

6.1.2

Appleologist :

Ok good that is the right version. Now go the app store, type in ibooks in the search box

Customer:

says installing

Appleologist :

Ok, when it is done, you can open it. Dont be alarmed when you do not see your books yet, I will show you how to get them back

Customer:

Icloud restored and wants to know If I want to sync collections between devices

Appleologist :

Yes

Customer:

all seems to be working

Appleologist :

Ok great. Are your books currently syncing?

Customer:

Syncing with what?

Appleologist :

Have you opened ibooks yet?

Appleologist :

Do your books display on the bookshelf?

Customer:

yes

Appleologist :

Ok great, I just wanted to confirm they were there. Was there anything els I can assist you with today?

Customer:

I feel like we have spent the entire day together. Thank you so much for your patience and help.

Appleologist :

Ha Ha It does seem that way. I also appreciate your patience as well. Enjoy your newly updated iPad and the rest of your day :)

Customer:

Thanks

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.