Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.
70409726

I want to delete document files which are are on the list...i

I want to delete document files which are are on the list...i do not want my son to see where i have been searching for his presant. This morning Iwas on sites and went to try to find how to delete them and saw that other sites i was on before are on this document list in the download file and i want to delete them I use aol and safari.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

From what you are describing, it sounds like you are interested in deleting your search history? Is that correct?

Customer:

yes,

Appleologist :

Click on History in the menu bar within safari. Choose Clear history at the bottom

Customer:

I have done that, and that does not delete the files in the untitled file, just the files when you choose clear history. It also does not delete old sites.

Appleologist :

Oh ok so you would like to delete all website data. I will direct you however we will be disconnected. Do you know how to get back to our chat?

Customer:

no i dont know how to get reconnected to you,, but when you say all website, does that include my pictures and files in other areas and my ability to use safari, emails etc...i am not really that versed on all of this...?

Appleologist :

It will not erase actual data stored onto your computer, it will clear your download list, website data, preview images etc

Appleologist :

This will not effect the ability to use safari

Customer:

am i able to do this manually and select files from the downloadlist...are there not pictures on the download list?

Appleologist :

You are able to select files from the download list manually. To do this, open finder (click on the happy face icon on the dock) In the left column, you will see your downloads folder

Appleologist :

You can also manually remove website data

Customer:

I apologize it is documents list? and i cannot find a happy face?

Appleologist :

The happy face icon is the first icon in the dock

Full Size Image

Appleologist :

The documents folder should also be in the left column

Customer:

I found it...

Appleologist :

Ok do you see the document you are looking to in that folder?

Customer:

no, i do know how to delete form this list...the document appears when i go to my email and wnat to attach a file and i click on attach and than go to the file and they are there throughout other sites...?

Appleologist :

Ok it does not sounds like they are on other sites, it sounds like it is just on your computer. It can be in the documents folder or the download folder. Do you know the name if the file?

Appleologist :

Is this file a list of items?

Customer:

I go to the email compose, click on attach file, a drop dwn screen comes up, lists on the left

Customer:

Devices,Places (documents is under here)

Appleologist :

If you wish to delete it, you can simply drag it into the trash

Customer:

when i click on documents put a word in search and a whole list of todays and previous items, sites come up...

Appleologist :

I am a little confused. Are we referring to a singe document or browser history within safari? When you said that you put a word search in, where are you entering this word search into?

Customer:

the file drags but when i get to the trash can at the bottom it does not deposit?

Appleologist :

Ok, try to select it and press command+delete key

Customer:

When I put a word in search, like I am looking for reunion...i plug that in and it gives me a whole load of files which have reunion in it that i have visited or whatever?

Customer:

i will try the command delete key

Appleologist :

Ok, let me know if that works

Customer:

command delete just makes a sound...

Appleologist :

It should make a trash movement sound. Try to control click then. To do this press and hold the control key and click on the file. Choose Move to trash

Appleologist :

Were you able to control click on the file?

Appleologist :

You can also select the document and choose file<Move to trash

Customer:

I will try ths again but maybe this will help: when the box comes down with devices places documents media, to the right when you put something in the search bar and the files come up when you select a file at the bottom it tells you where the file eminates from?for instance one of the files at the bottom had icons that when you touched them said in order: Library,Caches, metadate.history

Appleologist :

oh ok I see. It sounds like you are searching within finder that will bring up all files which include system and library files. Since those are system files, it is not advisable to delete or alter them. If you were to open them, they will not be legible since they are system files.You can only delete files that you create.

Appleologist :

In this case, cache are files that you can delete, but you can delete them within safari

Customer:

The control delete takes the fiel to the trash and when i trash it...it still stays on the list...it is like moving a picture from one place to the other but it never leaves its hom?

Appleologist :

You may be attempting to delete a system file which you should not alter

Customer:

I have done deleting cahce but they are still on this list, i wnat to get them off the list?

Appleologist :

The list in finder correct?

Customer:

I think you are correct...so how do we get rid of the system? files

Appleologist :

You can not. System files are what you need for your computer to function. To make sure, can you tell me the title of these files?

Customer:

World Bicycles is on my system file and i want to delete it...how is this done?

Appleologist :

Ok that is not a system file so you should be able to delete that. Select Word Bicycle, choose File from the top menu bar and then choose Move to trash

Appleologist :

I have one more place that I want you to look at within safari when you are done

Customer:

I cannot find anywhere on the menu bar move to trash

Appleologist :

Here is the screen shot

Full Size Image

Appleologist :

File is right next to the apple logo in the upper left corner

Customer:

My drop down does not have all of these choices?

Appleologist :

Did you select the files first? A

Customer:

yes....i

Appleologist :

Ok, go back to safari. Click on Safari in the top menu bar and choose preferences

Customer:

ok i did that

Appleologist :

Click on Privacy

Customer:

there is nno privacy..i checked all the drop downs

Customer:

there is a private browsind by itself?

Appleologist :

Ok, click on that. You may be running an earlier version of safari. So I can better navigate you, can you click on Safari in the top menu and choose About safari. What is your version numbers?

Customer:

Its an '03 version...5.0.6 5533.22.3

Appleologist :

Yes, you will need to choose privacy

Appleologist :

So you see remove data

Appleologist :

Remove all website data

Customer:

where is remove data?

Appleologist :

Try this instead. Click on Safari again, this time choose reset safari

Appleologist :

Only check Clear History and Remove website data

Customer:

i have done that before and than i will loose you...

Customer:

unless i minimalize you?? the whole screen will change and comeback to the beginning...if you want me to do that i will but i dont thinnk it will help

Appleologist :

Not if you only check 2 boxes. Clear history and website data

Appleologist :

Uncheck everything els

Appleologist :

I am still confused on what you are trying to delete. I think it is safe to rule out safari. It seems we started out thinking it was safari history but It seems more like a confusion on system files Vs data cache. Can you go back to finder and search for what you were searching before

Customer:

Ok I reset safari...went back and the finder seems to be the same ok...but the drop down for the email attachment...still has the sites we dont want

Appleologist :

Where do you see the drop down for the email sites?

Appleologist :

When you attach a file?

Customer:

When I have an email to send out there is a sight on the email to click for any attachments...: when the box comes down it has on the left selections: devices places (this is where I click on documents) and media, than to the right when you put something in the search bar and the files come up when you select a file that then becomes attached to your e-mail. At the bottom of this box, it tells you where the file eminates from?for instance one of the files at the bottom had icons that when you touched them said in order: Library,Caches, metadate.history down box, l

Customer:

The box taht comes down comes from the ceneter top of the screen under the bar.

Appleologist :

Ok lets navigate to that path. Do you see your home folder in the left column within finder. It will say you account name

Appleologist :

Or do you see Macintosh HD

Customer:

account name, applications, documents, drop box

Appleologist :

Click on your account name

Appleologist :

When you click on your account name, do you see a library folder?

Customer:

yes and i followed it as i would with the others and got it into the trash...i gues i have to look up each item and find what path it took and than trash it?

Appleologist :

Yup! You got it!

Appleologist :

So you will need to delete it in safari first and then manually track down the left overs

Customer:

can i save this for further instructions...

Appleologist :

You can always get back to it after rating and closing the chat. Click on bookmarks in the top menu and then choose Bookmark this page

Appleologist :

Here is a quick summary

Delete Files manually

Open finder (click on happy face icon)

Click on your account name in the left column

Choose Library

Follow the path

To reset Safari

Click on safari in the upper menu

Choose reset safari

Uncheck everything except Clear History and Remove Website Data

Appleologist :

Was there anything els I can assist you with today?

Customer:

thank you...send me a survey and i will take care of ya...thank you

Appleologist :

You are very welcome and I apologize for the confusion earlier in our chat.

You can now go ahead and rate my service and end the Chat. Enjoy the rest of your day

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.