Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

was downloading photos on an 08 macbook.. it stopped & seems

was downloading photos on an '08 macbook.. it stopped & seems stuck. Can't close.. just beach=ball.. 89 pics to go.. help? please?

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

From what you are describing, it sounds like iphoto froze while importing your photos. You will need to force quit iphoto first and then initiate the import process again. iPhoto will skip over photos that are already imported. Click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose force quit. Select iphoto and then hit force quit. If your entire machine is frozen, press and hold the power button until your machine shuts down

Appleologist :

I will stand by while you try my instructions

Appleologist :

Let me know if that did not resolve your issue so we can continue troubleshooting

Customer:

Thank you.. I was able to download all photos BUT .. how do I get rid of the 200 duplicates that were first downloaded please?

Appleologist :

Sure I can assist you with that. When you initiated the import process the second time, did it ask you about duplicates?

Appleologist :

Normally iphoto will ask you if you would like to re-import duplicate photos when it notice you are trying to import the same photo

Customer:

normally it has..poor old thing.. this time it didn't ,,

Appleologist :

Its ok. You have a few options, you can either manually delete the photos or you can use software to remove the duplicate photos. Can you tell me the operating system you are running so I can provide the right software. To find out what operating system you are running, click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose about this mac. Read me the version number

Customer:

OS X

Appleologist :

There should be a number after OSX. Read me the version number

Full Size Image

Customer:

sorry 10.6.8

Appleologist :

Ok great. You can use this software to scan your library for duplicates. Its super user friendly. Click on this link and enter your apple ID username and password XXXXX download it from the app store https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/duplicate-cleaner-for-iphoto/id586862299?mt=12

Appleologist :

Click on the blue View in App Store button in the left

Customer:

i won;t keep you.. many many thanks .... I'm really grateful.. excellent! bye bye!