Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.
70409726

I keep losing the earliest emails after about 2 weeks

Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

So I can better assist you, I will need additional information. Are you using the Apple Mail application?

Customer:

Yes

Appleologist :

From what you are describing, there may be an issue with your settings. Before we begin to troubleshoot, lets check your settings first. Click on Mail in the upper menu bar and choose Preferences

Customer:

OK

Appleologist :

Choose Mailbox Behaviors

Customer:

OK

Appleologist :

Under trash, are both boxes check? And is permanently erase deleted messages set to one month old

Customer:

They are now

Appleologist :

What were they selected as?

Customer:

Trash was set in Permanently delete emails- Never. Now changed to 1 month

Appleologist :

Ok. Next we need to check your actual email settings. In the left column were your email address is listed, does it say imap or Pop?

Customer:

IMAP

Appleologist :

and who is your email provider? Gmail?

Customer:

Btopenworld

Appleologist :

Ok, I will need to look up there configurations. While I am doing that, when did you notice your emails were deleting after 2 weeks?

Customer:

About 4 months ago

Appleologist :

Do you remember altering anything during that time?

Customer:

No

Appleologist :

Are you able to log into Btopenworld using safari to check your emails?

Customer:

I check my emails by clicking on mail icon

Appleologist :

Do you know if Btopenworld uses yahoo server? Click on this link and see if you can view your emails by logging in https://login.yahoo.com/config/login_verify2?.intl=uk&.partner=bt-1&.done=http%DANGEROUS URL REMOVED/%3f

Customer:

BT uses yahoo server

Appleologist :

So we can isolate the issue, I will need you to sign in to your email using the link provided. If your emails are being deleted off yahoo's server after two weeks, it will transfer that information to apple mail. Can you confirm if the same emails are missing from yahoo's server

Customer:

Also missing from yahoo

Appleologist :

Ok so the issue will not be with apple mail itself since it receives the information from Yahoo. Are your messages automatically moved to the trash? Are they currently in the trash?

Customer:

Some are in trash, some in imap.mail.yahoo older

Appleologist :

Ok so it sounds like they may not be deleted, they are being moved

Appleologist :

some are being deleted

Customer:

How do I keep them in my inbox?

Appleologist :

Normally, users apply rules/filters to achieve this. lets see if it was done by mistake. Do you see a gear in the upper right corner?

Customer:

Yes

Appleologist :

click on that and then choose mail options

Customer:

OK

Appleologist :

Under advanced options , choose filter

Appleologist :

Is there anything listed

Customer:

No

Appleologist :

Ok, now going back to the Apple mail app, go back to preferences

Customer:

OK

Appleologist :

Choose rules (last option) are there any rules listed?

Customer:

Just " News from Apple

Appleologist :

All of your email settings are normal. This is a common issue with yahoo mail server. One resolution was to change passwords of email addresses that had this issue.

Appleologist :

Once that is done, we can reset apple mail

Customer:

OK I will try this

Appleologist :

Also, personal recommendation. I use yahoo and had to slowly shift away from it because people were complaining they were receiving junk mail from my account. I now use gmail which I feel is more secure. To change your password, click on your name (right next to the gear in the upper right corner) Choose account

Customer:

OK

Appleologist :

Under sign in and security, choose change your password

Customer:

I don't have an option to change password

Appleologist :

What are your options under Sign-In and Security

Customer:

Email address and password

Appleologist :

Click on that, you should then see the option to change your password

Appleologist :

Make sure you use at least one symbol and Caps

Customer:

OK changed password

Appleologist :

Ok good. One more thing before we reset apple mail. Under Sign-In and Security, do you see View recent sign in activity?

Customer:

Where is this

Appleologist :

Within your accounts page, it should be under sign-in security. It may not be since I am looking at the US version

Customer:

Not on my version

Appleologist :

Ok that is fine. You can sign out of mail. Now lets reset apple's mail. Quit Apple mail and then open your finder window

Customer:

OK

Appleologist :

In the top menu, choose Go, Then choose Go to folder. Paste this inside the box ~/Library

Customer:

I can't find any of these

Appleologist :

When you open finder, Look at the top menu bar. You should see Go

Appleologist :

I see you are Offline right now, when you return, reply to the chat and I will be notified

Appleologist :

You are pretty much all set, just enter your new password XXXXX Apple mail

Customer:

when i open Finder, the top line says" about finder" When I click on that I just get the finder logo and nothing happens when I click it

Appleologist :

It should say finder, File, Edit, View, GO

Full Size Image

Customer:

No, do you mean finder on the top bar next to the apple symbol?

Appleologist :

Yes. Whenever you click on finder, the menu bar will change. Just like if you were to select safari then menu bar wil change depending on the application that is selected. So to get the finder menu, open finder and then choose go from the top menu bar

Appleologist :

If you are still unable to locate it, let me know and we can go another route

Customer:

Got it ! There is just xbox to fill something in

Appleologist :

Under go, do you see go to folder

Customer:

there is just a box to fill something in

Appleologist :

Paste this in ~/Library

Appleologist :

It will open up finder with a bunch of folders

Customer:

Are you getting this? oohing happening this end

Appleologist :

Did folders appear?

Appleologist :

Did you paste ~/Library into the search box?

Appleologist :

Can you describe what is displaying on your screen?

Appleologist :

Can you see my responses?

Appleologist :

Are you able to see my responses?

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.