Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.

I have just purchased an apple16gb ipad need help ! to set

I have just purchased an apple16gb ipad need help ! to set up! Thanks -have reached the choose network....
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

To continue, choose your wireless network name. If it is password XXXXX go ahead and enter the password. Do you remember your network name?

Customer:

what is meant by "my network name" is that the provider of network?

Appleologist :

Its the name of your households personal wireless name. Are you on your computer now, your networks name should be listed since you are connected it it. Are you using a Mac?

Customer:

no, laptop-advent windowsvista.we have belkin wireless. We use talktalk provider as broadband. For my ipad I will need to use it away from home. & at home.

Appleologist :

Ok, when you are at home, simply choose the same network that your computer is currently connected to now. To find this out, click on the start button in the bottom left corner and choose network

Appleologist :

Here is an illustration to better assist you in locating network

Full Size Image

Appleologist :

Were you able to find your network name?

Appleologist :

?

Customer:

talktalkcaeb90 has appeard on my ipad & yes that is the one... so will i be able to change it when in a wifi area?

Appleologist :

Ok great. Yes, when you are in another area that has wifi, you will be able to change your network settings. To do this, click on settings on your ipad and then choose wifi. All the available networks will be listed there

Customer:

thanks now for password XXXXX ipad...can i choose a new one for ipad?

Appleologist :

Are you referring to password XXXXX your iPad so that you will need to enter your password XXXXX time you would like to use it?

Appleologist :

Or are you referring to your Apple ID?

Customer:

password XXXXX ipad

Appleologist :

Sure! I will walk you through. Click on settings It is the gray gear button then choose general

Appleologist :

within General choose Passcode Lock

Appleologist :

Then Choose Turn Passcode On. You will then be prompted to enter your preferred passcode 2 times

Customer:

at present moment ipad showing enter password

Appleologist :

Are you still in the network settings page?

Customer:

no

Appleologist :

Ok, you are then in the enter your Apple ID and password. If not, can you describe what your ipad is asking for

Customer:

sorry yes it inbackgound

Appleologist :

What is in background?

Customer:

Network settings

Appleologist :

OK so it is asking your for the password XXXXX your talktalkcaeb90. Do you know the password?

Customer:

yes for talktalkcae90. No not for password XXXXX

Appleologist :

Are you near the router now?

Customer:

no but can check

Appleologist :

On your belkin router, look on the back or bottom for WEP Key

Appleologist :

Were you able to locate your router?

Customer:

ok will check.. sorry it a talktalkrouter-passwordR6QU98UA

Appleologist :

Ok great. Now choose talktalkrouter from the network list and enter R6QU98UA on your ipad

Customer:

tried it & it says incorrect password XXXXX talktalkcaeb90

Appleologist :

Are you entering R6QU98UA in all caps? To enter in all caps, tap the Arrow button 2 times on the keyboard on your iPad. The arrow button is located in the bottom left and right corner

Customer:

only one tap..

Appleologist :

Double tap it so that it highlights in blue. Tapping it once only make the first letter capital

Customer:

ok will try that

Appleologist :

Ok

Customer:

help! now lost the keyboard!

Appleologist :

Tap on the password XXXXX again and your keyboard will appear again

Customer:

ta..

Appleologist :

Yes tap or select the space where you need to enter your password. You keyboard should appear again

Customer:

Password XXXXX to get it to accept password..!

Customer:

Do i tap join..

Appleologist :

Yes

Appleologist :

If done correctly, it should advance to the next screen

Customer:

now saying enable location services

Appleologist :

OK great! Your password XXXXX accepted :) Choose to enable location services

Customer:

ok..now giving choice of sign in with apple ipad orcreatea free apple ipad

Appleologist :

Do you have an apple id. It is your itunes email address used to purchase songs, movies, apps etc?

Customer:

no

Appleologist :

Ok so then choose to create an apple Id. You will need an apple id to download content onto your ipad. To create an apple ID, you will need a debit or credit card on file. Choose to create apple id

Customer:

ok

Appleologist :

let me know when you are done creating your apple id

Customer:

ok..now asking foruse cureent e-mail adress orget free icloud email address

Appleologist :

you can use your current email address

Customer:

would that affect me when i away from home?

Appleologist :

No not at all. It just makes it much easier to remember your apple ID. It will always be your email address

Customer:

ok ta

Customer:

can i use any password XXXXX i choose?

Appleologist :

yes of course. You can create a password XXXXX wish to use

Customer:

ok ta

Customer:

getting there..

Appleologist :

Take your time

Customer:

now sayinguse cloud/dont use cloud

Appleologist :

Yes, enable iCloud. This will backup your ipad wirelessly

Customer:

ok

Appleologist :

Almost there

Customer:

thanks

Customer:

all fro

Customer:

all

Customer:

for go..ta

Appleologist :

What is currently displaying on your iPad?

Customer:

start using ipad

Appleologist :

Yay! Go ahead and tap that

Customer:

now sayingthis ipad cannot back up to icloudwithout a verified e-mail address, cannot back up/later/settings or will that change once i start use use it?

Appleologist :

All you need to do is click on the link in your email address to verify your apple Id

Appleologist :

you can start using it now though

Customer:

ok

Appleologist :

do you see the link in your email?

Customer:

thatprevoius setting is stuck.

Appleologist :

What is displaying on your iPad?

Customer:

the cannot back up setting..

Appleologist :

Is there a button that you can press

Appleologist :

In the bottom right or left. Or upper right or left corner?

Customer:

middle of screen...

Appleologist :

Click on the button in the middle screen

Appleologist :

On your computer, are you able to check your email?

Appleologist :

?

Appleologist :

Customer:

still stuck, yes can check on computer...

Appleologist :

What does the button say in the middle of the screen?

Customer:

same as before.. cannot back up..later..settings

Appleologist :

Ok. press and hold both the sleep and home button at the same time until the apple logo appears. The sleep button is located at the upper right corner and the home button is the rounds button at the bottom front bezel. Here is the illustration

Full Size Image

Appleologist :

were you able to press and hold those two buttons

Appleologist :

?

Customer:

done

Appleologist :

Ok so your ipad should be all set and ready for use

Customer:

ta

Customer:

will try it out later.. many thanks..have to go now

Appleologist :

You are very welcome. Enjoy your ipad.

You can now go ahead and rate my service and end the Chat. Enjoy the rest of your day

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.