Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

i just reinstalled CS4 on a macbook pro with a mountain lion

Customer Question

i just reinstalled CS4 on a macbook pro with a mountain lion clean install. Whenever I use Photoshop and try to drag layers the app freezes with just the spinning pinwheel. It has happened every time I've tried editing an image with layers. What have I done wrong?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Ok, have you repaired permissions? Repairing Permissions
That PDF explains why and how.

Second, does this happen with any other applications?
Look in the Apple menu in 'About this Mac' and tell me how much RAM you have.

WHen you did the clean install did you reformat the hard drive or install over the old OS X?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your help! When I did the clean install - I erased the hard drive and started fresh (at least I think I erased it using Disk Utility) Then I did a clean install of Mountain Lion.

I have tried repairing permissions before and the same issue happened. Perhaps I didn't do it properly.

For RAM I have 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz

My Photoshop is the key program I use - so I haven't installed all my other programs but all the native Mountain Lion apps (Mail, Cal etc) seem to be working fine.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Permissions will have no effect on CS4, it will, however, improve overall performance.
One issue is CS4 is an older version of the Adobe suite which came out when Tiger 10.4 was king.
Now it is Mountain Lion 10.8.2, could be some conflicts there.
My wife had to upgrade to CS 6 because CS4 was not working correctly in Lion.
Much the same issue you are having.
Usually that spinning beach-ball means the Finder is having difficulty locating space or finding components, all directory related.
Doing a SafeBoot will help for this and tell you if there is something else interfering, it turns off many extras.

To do a Safe Boot, restart and before the first chime press and hold the 'Shift' key.
Wait until you see the Apple logo and the spinning gear appear, then let go.
It can take as long as 20 minutes to load, so please be patient.
When the login screen appears it will say in red on the login window 'SafeBoot'.
Now login and give it a few more minutes to finish loading.
Try doing whatever it was it was giving you the problem. If it works then probably the problem is solved, so restart normally.
If the problem persists then restart normally also, other fixes will need to be done.

Another quick thing is a pram reset.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys all together at the same time.
‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P' all together at the same time.
Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this is the sound that your computer makes when it starts up, it is like a boonngg. The screen should also cycle from white to black and then back to white along with the chimes.
The sound should also get louder.

graphic

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.
This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

Last but by all means not least is Disk Warrior, this utility is one of the best for these kind of issues, it will help keep your hard drive working at its peak.I highly recommend it.

Other than that the only other suggestion I have is uninstalling and reinstalling CS4.

Hope that helps.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Daniel,

Well I tried your suggestions but to no avail. The problem still exists. I tried the Safe Boot and it actually worked fine while in Safe Boot - but as soon as I restarted in normal mode - the same issue arose. I also did a PRAM reset - still and finally I repaired the disk permissions again.

I hope its not an issue with CS4 as the upgrade to CS6 is pretty expensive and not something I want to do but I might need to.

Thank you very much for your help. It certainly was expert - as advertised. God bless you as you continue to serve Him by helping others.

Sincerely,

Dean

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Daniel,

Thanks again for all your help. I stumbled upon a simple answer on an apple forum and thought I'd pass it along if someone has another Photoshop CS4 crash in Mountain Lion issue. Apparently if you go to System Preferences then Energy Saver then unclick the box that says Automatic Graphics Switching - the issue will be resolved. Although the trade off seems to be decreased battery power.

If that doesn't sound wise - your advice is still helpful.

Thanks again!

Peace,

Dean

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Dean, thank you for that. It is something overlooked by many of us. There are few laptops that sport that feature and is a good tip.
Have you tried it? It sounds like it may do the job, it is outside the box enough.
I would think the trade off insignificant.
He is risen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your feedback. Yes, I did try it and it seems to have done the trick so far. Thanks for letting me know the tradeoff will be insignificant.

He is risen indeed!

Peace,

Dean

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Glad to hear it, enjoy.