Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.
70409726

I just updated my ipad it looks like it wiped everything out

I just updated my ipad it looks like it wiped everything out and now is putting everything back in but it wants me to creat an apple id which I already had. wants my email addy and when I type it in it says it is already in use. of course it is, it is mine!!
So now what. am stalled
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

It sounds like you are selecting to create an apple Id instead of signing in. So I can better assist you, what is currently displaying on your iPad?

Customer:

it is at a screen has a keyboard on it and it says "this apple ID is already being used, if this is your account reset a forgotten password XXXXX iforgot.apple.com

Appleologist :

Can you choose to go back. Look in the upper left corner

Customer:

Yes I can go back. First, do I have to stay connected to the computer?

Customer:

but yes I can go back

Customer:

ok, I went back and it says use your current email address and that is checked. other option is free icloud email addy.

Appleologist :

No you do not need to stay connected to the computer, you should be able to activate it wireless. When you go back, choose use current email

Customer:

and seeing as I always used that one, I just went with it. my own addy I mean

Appleologist :

After that is checked, click on next

Customer:

ok that is what I did

Appleologist :

Ok, click on the back button until you are at the very begining

Appleologist :

beginning

Customer:

and when I clicked next, it says to enter my email and it also says this will be your new apple ID

Customer:

and here is when I put in my address, it says already in use

Appleologist :

Ok, click on the back button until it is back at the initial screen

Customer:

oh ok, I just see you say to click on the back button till I am at the very beginning. ok I will do that

Appleologist :

Yes, it sounds like you may have selected to created a new icloud account by mistake

Customer:

ok not sure if I am at the beginning or not but the screen is scrolling the apps that would be on the ipad. it says sign in with an apple id and creat a free apple id. do I go back farther than that

Appleologist :

Yes

Appleologist :

see if you can go back further

Appleologist :

See if you can get back to the set up iphone screen

Customer:

I am at the screen that say6s restore completed

Customer:

says continue

Appleologist :

Ok, click on continue

Appleologist :

When you click continue, what are your options?

Customer:

choose a network

Appleologist :

Ok, select your wireless network

Customer:

yup, did that

Appleologist :

The next screen after that should ask you if you would like to set it up as a new ipad or restore from backup

Appleologist :

Do you know if you are backing up to iCloud?

Customer:

it says location serves maps and other apps, etc

Customer:

says enable or disable location services

Appleologist :

Choose to enable location services

Customer:

don't know if I did to cloud or not. didn't intend to, don't really understand that so I stay away from cloud

Appleologist :

Ok so then you should choose the last option which is to restore from an itunes backup

Customer:

ok enabled is checked

Customer:

that will be next

Customer:

next it says your apple id is used to set up icloud, app store, itunes store and more and the options are sign in with an apple id or creat a free apple id

Appleologist :

choose to sign in

Customer:

I may have checked sign in with an apple id and used my reg what I used to have

Appleologist :

Yes, make sure you are using the same email that you are using to purchase apps

Customer:

ohhh ok. will choose to sign in

Appleologist :

and songs

Appleologist :

Yes choose to sign in and enter your apple id and password

Customer:

ok this one brings me back to where I was. apple ID

Customer:

is this where my email should go

Appleologist :

What is currently displaying on your screen

Customer:

apple ID and password

Appleologist :

Ok. Yes type in your apple Id (email address used to make purchases) and then the password

Customer:

ok then next?

Appleologist :

Yup

Customer:

it now shows terms and conditions, etc

Appleologist :

Perfect! choose accept

Appleologist :

Almost there

Customer:

ok says it is setting up

Customer:

oh oh do I use cloud or not

Appleologist :

Yes,

Customer:

ok clicked use cloud

Appleologist :

I love iCloud. It basically will back up your entire ipad wireless

Customer:

oh that I remember seeing when it was downloading, said was backing up

Customer:

ok next?

Appleologist :

Yup

Customer:

and to make purchases then will be my email and pass again?

Appleologist :

Yes that is correct

Customer:

whooooooooooo!!!

Appleologist :

Ha ha!!

Customer:

:-) ok says merge with icloud? or don't

Customer:

am I merging?

Appleologist :

Yes merge with icloud

Customer:

back up to cloud is checked let it?

Appleologist :

Yes, keep it checked

Customer:

ok. are we finished then?

Appleologist :

Yes we are....Unless you have another question

Customer:

it is showing find my pad which not really interested. Am I far enuf now that we are finished and I can turn on my ipad and do my thing with it'

Appleologist :

You should enable find my ipad just incase you misplace it. And yes you are free to do your thing with your ipad again

Customer:

Ok. did that. So we are done now. I major appreciate your help. I was just flat out stuck when it kept telling me my email was in use.

Customer:

and I knew that, it was mine

Customer:

and incidently, I am getting a kick out of the word "appleologist"

Appleologist :

You are so welcome, I am glad we were able to find a resolution today. Ha ha!! I made that word up myself

Customer:

good job with that word. and again thanks much

Customer:

Bye

Appleologist :

You are soooo welcome. Take care

Appleologist :

You can now go ahead and rate my service and end the Chat. Enjoy the rest of your day

Customer:

ok thanks much and you have a good rest of the day too

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.