Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

I have an iPod touch with iOS 2.2.1 - I would like to upgrade

I have an iPod touch with iOS 2.2.1 - I would like to upgrade to 4.2. I keep getting a -1 error. I have tried this on 3 different computers all running iTunes 11.02.... I saw somewhere I may have to upgrade in steps - like get to iOS 3.x first. I'm not sure how to do this or if that is what I need. Suggestions? Thank you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

If it is backed up (should be as it does that automatically) then try either restoring it to factory settings or erasing and setting it up as new.

Try that and see what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried the restore, it gets all the way to restoring the iPod and then I get the error message: The iPod could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (-1).

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Not good Julia, it may be one of a few things.

This could indicate that there is a hardware issue with the iPod. If you have a different machine (Windows or Mac) try using that and see what it does.
If it does the sam ethnic it may need service.

However, try this.

I know, it says iPhone but the iPod and iPhone share the same hardware and iOS.

Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That worked - it got the iPod to 4.2. Many of the apps I would like to download to it are saying I need 4.3 (i.e. Facebook, Scrabble) any idea how I do that?

Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
What generation is it? 1, 2, 3 or 4th?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it is second. How would I verify?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Glad to hear it worked.
Goto Settings/General/About and look for the model number, the serial number will be there also.
I can tell from that but I think it will only go to 4.2.1.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model mb528ll, serial 1c915zzs201.

If it can't go to 4.3 is it possible to get older versions of apps to run on this and how would I do that?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Confirmed, 4.2.1 is the best it can do, hardware limitation.
As for earlier versions the best I can think of is the developers website, contact them if it isn't available on their site.
The App store will only have the newest.
That help?
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.