Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I have an eGo Helium Portable Hard Drive that I had been successfully

I have an eGo Helium Portable Hard Drive that I had been successfully using with my 17" MacBook Pro running OS X 10.6. I upgraded my Mac to OS X 10.8.2 and now when I plug in the eGo Helium a message immediately pops up saying "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." and offers me the options of Initialize, Ignore or Eject.

I then tried hooking up the eGo Helium to my son's 14" MacBook Pro running OS X 10.6 and I got the same message.

I certainly have lots of files that I want to recover which are no longer on my MacBook Pro 17" since my upgrade to OS X 10.8. Any suggestions?
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Do not give up hope just yet.
Can you tell me what format the drive is? FAT32 or Mac OS Extended?
I ask because it will help determine how to proceed.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dan, thanks for trying to help. I do NOT know what format the drive is in. I would assume FAT32 since I am most familiar with that format but given I am now using MacBook Pros would the rationale answer be Mac OS Extended?

Well Mike that would be preferable, FAT 32 will work with Macs but repairing them is harder.
Does it say that it will be made available to read and save info. Something like that anyway.
It may be repairable but Disk Utility isn't enough tool for the job.
You need Disk Warrior or TechTool Pro, either will set you back $100 but are much better at repairing drives.
I personally like DW, TechTool is more complicated.

Both are good and I use both.

To find out what the format is open Disk Utility, if that drive is present then click it and see what it tells you here.
graphic
By clicking the indented one it will tell you the format it has.

Look that over and let me know. I have to post this as an answer but it may not be the whole answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dan, looks like it is Mac OS Extended. See below copied from Disk Utility. By the way, I have TechTool Pro 6 so if you can lead me towards a repair using that Application I would appreciate it. I just am not familiar enough with the software to risk further damaging the drive.

Mount Point : Not mounted Capacity : 12 GB (11,995,783,168 Bytes)

Format : Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Available : -

Owners Enabled : - Used : -

Number of Folders : - Number of Files : -

Disk Description : TOSHIBA MK1059GSM Media Total Capacity : 1 TB (1,000,204,886,016 Bytes)

Connection Bus : USB Write Status : Read/Write

Connection Type : External S.M.A.R.T. Status : Not Supported

USB Serial Number : 216139FFFFFF Partition Map Scheme : Unformatted

mike
TTP 6 should do the job.
PDF that is the manual for TT, look in section 6.5 for instructions. They call it Volume Rebuild, all the cool names were taken.
Once you open it it will guide you.
Just go slow and make sure before you commit.