Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

MY IMAC TURNS ON...THE APPLE APPEARS , BUT THE LITTLE WHEEL

MY IMAC TURNS ON...THE APPLE APPEARS , BUT THE LITTLE WHEEL DOES NOT STOP TURNING AND NOTHING ELSE HAPPENS..............

I HAVE TURNED OFF AND ON SEVERAL TIMES, UNPLUGGED , ETC BUT CANT GET AND FURTHER.....

CAN YOU HELP
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

older version , bought about 7 years ago G5...

Thanks Suzanne. Do you have the Mac OS X installation discs came with the Mac ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes

This usually happens if your Mac can't read the system files properly. We can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if that works or not.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM (Solution 1)

1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Restart in Safe mode
(Solution 2)
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...

Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode(Solution 3)
Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. This will boot your Mac into Single User Mode. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck -fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

Try the three solutions and please let me know if they didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

very satisfied ...thank you

You're most welcome :) If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you still need help with this question, please let me know.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me Positively.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when i click on excellent nothing happens.....resend ?

It is not processed yet. Can you refresh the page and try to rate again ?

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no luck.....is there another way I can make sure you get credit

Hi Suzanne, No Worries. I will ask JustAnswer to process the rating. Thanks so muck and please come back again if you need our help.

Take Care,
Hi there,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help, and if not to say Thanks for using JustAnswer.

I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.

Thanks and Have a great day,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry but none of the suggestions helped....

I will contact you this weekend

Hi Suzanne,
I'm sorry that didn't work. Then it must be your system files. We can reinstall your Mac OS X and see if that works or not. Reinstalling the OS X won't delete any of your system files, but it will just replace the old system files with one. I will guide you through the process. Do you have the Mac OS X installation discs came with your Mac ?

Please let me know Suzanne.

Best Regards,