Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I need to reinstall iPhoto on my MacBook Pro running 10.6.8.

Customer Question

I need to reinstall iPhoto on my MacBook Pro running 10.6.8. How do i do this?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Do you have the Mac OS X or iLife installation discs ? Did you lost the iPhoto from your Mac ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have the OS X disk. I lost iPhoto because i backed up from 10.8 to 10.6 and the version of iPhoto that I recovered will not run on 10.6

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You can reinstall iPhoto from the Mac OS X installation discs. But before reinstalling, trash the existing iPhoto application from Applications folder. Don't empty the trash.

Follow the steps below to reinstall iPhoto from the Mac OS X installation discs came with your Mac.
  • Insert your Mac OS X Install disc 1.
  • Double-click the "Optional Installs.mpkg." You may need to scroll down to see the Optional Installs icon. graphic
  • After the installer opens, you can check iPhoto from the list under Applications to install.
  • Continue and finish installation.

After reinstalling iPhoto, you will have to rebuild your iPhoto Library for the current version of iPhoto. Please follow the steps below to rebuild your iPhoto Library

1. Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.
  2. Open iPhoto.
  3. Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.
  4. A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select all the options/checkboxes
  5. Click Rebuild to begin the rebuild process. This may take a few minutes to complete.

Please let me know how it goes.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not see iPhoto in the list of applications ????

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the both Mac OS X Disc 1 and Application Install DVD ? What is the version number on the discs ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

10.6.3

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. The iPhoto application is on the Application Install DVD (the second disc). Insert the Applications installation disc and double-click the Install Bundled Software icon. Follow the onscreen instructions. Then, in the Installation Type pane, click Customize. Can you select iPhoto application from there ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have 10.6.8 installed. Downloaded from the internet. the 10.6.3 disk bundle will not run on the later version of OS X

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
That's strange. What is the exact error you are getting when you open the Bundle ?

Also, right click on the bundle and can you see option named Show Package Contents ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Right click on the bundle package and select Show Package Contents from the popup menu. Does it open any Finder window with many application packages ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

not a lot. Less than a dozen applications

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Can you find iPhoto there ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Could you please tell me the name of the packages you can see there ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Under Applications:

Address Book

iCal

iChat

iTunes

Mail

Oxford Dictionaries

Safari

X11

IPod Support

Rosetta

Quick Time 7

Additional Fonts

Language translation (sub menus)

Printer Support (sub menus)

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I think you are using the wrong disc. Are you sure you put the second disc, i.e the Application Install DVD on your Mac ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there is only one disk

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Is that is the disc came with your Mac ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no

I ordered it from Apple.

The original disk are 10.5.2

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
That is the Retail Snow Leopard disc and it doesn't contain the iPhoto application.

Do you have the Application Install DVD of 10.5.2 ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Put the Application Install DVD of 10.5 to your Mac and can you try to install iPhoto from it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I get an error message telling me the software cannot be installed from this disk. I right click and open the package. I can get just so far before i get the same message.

Is there somewhere i can purchase the software. This is not working?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes. I was going to suggest that. Since you are installing files of old OS X 10.5 on new OS X 10.6, it might not work properly. The best option is, buy the iLife 11 installation disc and install it to your Mac.

iLife 11 contains the latest iPhoto 11, iMovie 11, iDVD 11 and Garageband.

The disc version of iLife 11 work with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. You can buy iLife 11 from eBay.com or Amazon.com

See here : http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=ilife+11&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Don't buy the iPhoto 11 or iLife 11 from the AppStore application on your Mac, as that version is not compatible with your Mac.

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Here is one from Amazon.com : http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MC623Z-A-iLife-VERSION/dp/B003XKRZES

If you want the old version, you can buy the iLife 09 too.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK

i will try that

thanks

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You're most welcome :) If you have any questions or would like any addtional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Add a bookmark of this page, so you can get back to me later incase if you need help with this again.

Best Regards,
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help, and if not to say Thanks for using JustAnswer.

I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.

Thanks and Have a great day,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I followed your advice and I have successfully reinstalled iPhoto

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I'm glad to hear that. Please come back again if you need our help :)

Best Regards,