Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I need to reinstall iPhoto on my MacBook Pro running 10.6.8.

I need to reinstall iPhoto on my MacBook Pro running 10.6.8. How do i do this?
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Do you have the Mac OS X or iLife installation discs ? Did you lost the iPhoto from your Mac ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have the OS X disk. I lost iPhoto because i backed up from 10.8 to 10.6 and the version of iPhoto that I recovered will not run on 10.6

You can reinstall iPhoto from the Mac OS X installation discs. But before reinstalling, trash the existing iPhoto application from Applications folder. Don't empty the trash.

Follow the steps below to reinstall iPhoto from the Mac OS X installation discs came with your Mac.
  • Insert your Mac OS X Install disc 1.
  • Double-click the "Optional Installs.mpkg." You may need to scroll down to see the Optional Installs icon. graphic
  • After the installer opens, you can check iPhoto from the list under Applications to install.
  • Continue and finish installation.

After reinstalling iPhoto, you will have to rebuild your iPhoto Library for the current version of iPhoto. Please follow the steps below to rebuild your iPhoto Library

1. Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.
  2. Open iPhoto.
  3. Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.
  4. A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select all the options/checkboxes
  5. Click Rebuild to begin the rebuild process. This may take a few minutes to complete.

Please let me know how it goes.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not see iPhoto in the list of applications ????

Do you have the both Mac OS X Disc 1 and Application Install DVD ? What is the version number on the discs ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. The iPhoto application is on the Application Install DVD (the second disc). Insert the Applications installation disc and double-click the Install Bundled Software icon. Follow the onscreen instructions. Then, in the Installation Type pane, click Customize. Can you select iPhoto application from there ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have 10.6.8 installed. Downloaded from the internet. the 10.6.3 disk bundle will not run on the later version of OS X

That's strange. What is the exact error you are getting when you open the Bundle ?

Also, right click on the bundle and can you see option named Show Package Contents ?
Right click on the bundle package and select Show Package Contents from the popup menu. Does it open any Finder window with many application packages ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not a lot. Less than a dozen applications

Can you find iPhoto there ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Could you please tell me the name of the packages you can see there ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Under Applications:

Address Book

Oxford Dictionaries

IPod Support

Quick Time 7

Additional Fonts

Language translation (sub menus)

Printer Support (sub menus)

I think you are using the wrong disc. Are you sure you put the second disc, i.e the Application Install DVD on your Mac ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there is only one disk

Is that is the disc came with your Mac ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I ordered it from Apple.

The original disk are 10.5.2

That is the Retail Snow Leopard disc and it doesn't contain the iPhoto application.

Do you have the Application Install DVD of 10.5.2 ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Put the Application Install DVD of 10.5 to your Mac and can you try to install iPhoto from it ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I get an error message telling me the software cannot be installed from this disk. I right click and open the package. I can get just so far before i get the same message.

Is there somewhere i can purchase the software. This is not working?

Yes. I was going to suggest that. Since you are installing files of old OS X 10.5 on new OS X 10.6, it might not work properly. The best option is, buy the iLife 11 installation disc and install it to your Mac.

iLife 11 contains the latest iPhoto 11, iMovie 11, iDVD 11 and Garageband.

The disc version of iLife 11 work with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. You can buy iLife 11 from or

See here :

Don't buy the iPhoto 11 or iLife 11 from the AppStore application on your Mac, as that version is not compatible with your Mac.

Best Regards,
Here is one from :

If you want the old version, you can buy the iLife 09 too.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i will try that

You're most welcome :) If you have any questions or would like any addtional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Add a bookmark of this page, so you can get back to me later incase if you need help with this again.

Best Regards,
Hi there,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help, and if not to say Thanks for using JustAnswer.

I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.

Thanks and Have a great day,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I followed your advice and I have successfully reinstalled iPhoto

I'm glad to hear that. Please come back again if you need our help :)

Best Regards,