Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

My mac crashes whenever I try to download software

Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Could you please explain your situation little more ? Does it crashes when you update your Mac or when you download any particular applications ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I download applications. It will download to 95% or so and then flash off the screen and my top tool bar will dissappear.

Hi Adam, From where are you downloading those application ? Could you please tell me the name of some of those applications ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried to download Transmission, or if I download a movie.

Are you trying to download it from Safari ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

From firefox

Thanks for you prompt reply. Two more questions, what version of Mac OS X are you using ? And does this happens when you download it from Safari ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have not tried to download it from safari, and I am using Mac OS X 10.6.8

Thanks. To fix the Firefox problem, first we can reset Firefox and see if that works or not.

Close Firefox. Then goto Macintosh HD > Users > home folder > Library > Preferences folder.

Trash the file com.mozilla.firefox.plist and/or org.mozilla.firefox.plist from there. Restart Firefox. Try to download again.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't see that file in my preferences folder
Are you checking in the correct preferences folder, i.e in Users > home folder > Library > Preferences folder and not in Macintosh HD > Library > Preferences folder ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was not, where do I find the users folder?
Open your hard disk Macintosh HD. You can find the Users folder there. Or just click on the Finder icon in the dock and this will take you to the Home folder. Open Library and Preferences folder there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Same thing happened. My download screen popped up, then dissappeared, and now my tool bar on the top of my screen is gone. It said it would download the application with "DiskImage mounting," is that supposed to be like that?
No, can you try to download from Safari ? That will tell us whether the problem is with your Mac or with Firefox
Adam, We can also update your Firefox to latest version. Goto Applications folder and trash the Firefox application from there. Trash the plist file also from the Preferences folder.

Then download and install latest Firefox from here :

Open Firefox and then Clear the Cache too. Please let me know if you need help with that.

Now try to download something. Does it sill crashes ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It won't let me trash Firefox, and when I downloaded it through safari it downloaded to my hard drive but when I click on it it won't do anything.
Then the problem is with Firefox. Make sure you close Firefox before trashing it. If you are unable to trash it, then restart your Mac and without opening anything, trash it. You can communicate with me via Safari until we fix Firefox

Add a bookmark of this page, so you can get back to me after restart and we won't lose our connection.

For Downloads, goto your Downloads folder and can you open the downloaded items from there ?

Also, I'm sorry I misread your above post. Yes, if you are downloading zip files, dmg files etc it will show Disk Image Mounter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It says Firefox is in the trash but it still appears in my applications window.
Open Trash and is Firefox there ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My mistake, it is not in the trash. It will not move from the applications folder
Ok..Lets boot into Safe Mode and trash Firefox. To restart into Safe Mode, restart your Mac and immediately hold down Shift key on your Keyboard. Keep it held down until it boot into Safe Mode.

After booting into Safe Mode, don't open Firefox yet, goto Applications folder and trash Firefox. Then just restart as normal. Then download and install latest version of Firefox from here :

Download and install Firefox from Safari. Please let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was just able to trash it. It is off my computer now. What are the next steps?
Download and install latest version of Firefox from here :

Open Firefox. In Firefox, click on Tools menu and select Clear Recent History

From the resulting winodw, select all options and click the Clear Now button. Did that work ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
After I downloaded Firefox the "Firefox setup 19.0.2.exe" file is in my applications, when I click on it quick time opens up and says "the movie could not be opened
You downloaded wrong version, that one is for Windows. Make sure you download the Mac version, where it says .dmg at the end of the file name. Download Mac version from this link :
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, when I got the right version of Firefox opened it said I didn't have any recent history to clear
It is ok. Now try to download anything from Firefox. Does it stil crashes ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It worked. Thank you. I can't believe just Firefox would cause all those problems.
I'm glad you got that worked :)

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you need any help in the future, please come back again and don't forget to rate me Positively if you are satisfied.

Have a great day,
Thanks so much for the positive rating and the bonus. Greatly appreciated !

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Please come back again if you need any help in the future..

Have a great day,
Hi there,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help, and if not to say Thanks for using JustAnswer.

I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.

Thanks and Have a great day,