MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

I have an iMac W86411UDWAR uprated with Snow Leopard 10.6.3.

Customer Question

I have an iMac W86411UDWAR uprated with Snow Leopard 10.6.3. When I switch on I get a black screen with a window 10cmx4cm in the centre with a padlock on the left and a message as follows. To access this computer, you need to enter your password. with two spaces Name and Password.

I have tried every combination including re- setting my password XXXXX keep getting "incorrect name or password XXXXX red. Have you any suggestions please?

Regards, Nigel.
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 1 year ago.

MacTechTrainer :

Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac. I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

MacTechTrainer :

Have you previously set up your iMac with a FileVault password XXXXX the best of your knowledge?

Customer: No I don't think so
MacTechTrainer :

Based on what you currently see on your screen, whenever you reboot, is this the same content you are describing now, that appears on your screen?

MacTechTrainer :

(Thank you for your patience in advance, as I have to ask these questions in order to better isolate what some of the symptoms of your technical issue are-- in order to work toward a more viable solution for you)

Customer: Yes sorry I,m slow Ihanent chatted before
MacTechTrainer :

That is no problem at all for me Nigel, please take your time- I will remain in this session for as long as needed to resolve this issue for you.

Customer: Ok
MacTechTrainer :

Have you tried rebooting your Mac a few times already, only to come to the same login details you see now?

Customer: Yes
MacTechTrainer :

Thanks for confirming this information for me. Bear with me for a few minutes if you would, I am going to look into this issue a bit further for you.

Customer: Ok thanks
MacTechTrainer :

Nigel, do you have more than one user on your computer, or just one?

MacTechTrainer :

User login account I mean?

MacTechTrainer :

Sorry for the "?"

Customer: Just one
MacTechTrainer :

Got it and before coming to us today, is the normal screen you have always seen at start up on your iMac, or is this new?

Customer: this is new
MacTechTrainer :

Do you happen to still have your Mac OS X 10.6 installation disc available? (we may need it)

Customer: Yes
MacTechTrainer :

Ok what I am going to have you attempt now Nigel is a simple password XXXXX using your Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard installation disc

MacTechTrainer :

here are the instructions:

Customer: Got the disk ready
MacTechTrainer :

In order to reset your password XXXXX any Mac OS X platform
all you need to do is:

• Place your installation Disk into your drive and
allow it to load.
• Restart your Mac
• As soon as you hear the Apple Chime, press the "C" key on your keyboard
and hold it.
• You will see a White Screen, Grey Apple first, do not release the C key until you
see a Spinning gear.
• Once you see that Spinning gear, release your C key and allow the disc to
continue loading...

- RESETTING ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD-

• When the booting to the Mac OS X disc is completed, you will now be in the
Installer environment
• Enter to next page, look up on upper left corner you should see "Installer" near
the Apple menu.
• Two spaces over you should see Utilities. Click Utilities>Reset Password.
• Select your user name from the drop down list and reset your password.
• When you are done, simply exit the Reset Password XXXXX Installer and reboot.
• At the Login window, enter your new password XXXXX you should be back into your home profile.

MacTechTrainer :

Bookmark this session in your web browser and when you are ready to return, just come back to that bookmark and post a reply or update in the chat.

MacTechTrainer :

I will be alerted you are looking to resume the session with me, even if I am offline

MacTechTrainer :

but in this case, I will be here waiting for your return

Customer: When input the disk in it pauses ejects. Shall I retry?
MacTechTrainer :

Clean the disc to make sure there are no blemishes or marks on the disc and then try again

Customer: Ok
Customer: No cleaned and retried loading, same result.
MacTechTrainer :

Ok let's take a step back then and perform this action to see if it will help the disc load

MacTechTrainer :

this is another procedure to reset your iMac first so hopefully the Superdrive will work better with your installation disc

MacTechTrainer :

Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:

MacTechTrainer :

• First, hold in your power button for approximately 10 seconds to do a hard shutdown.

MacTechTrainer :

This should help with the freezing issue:

MacTechTrainer :

• Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously .

MacTechTrainer :

• Once your Mac is shutdown, you will need to perform what is called a PRAM reset (Parameter RAM)

MacTechTrainer :

• Turn on the computer.

MacTechTrainer :

• Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

MacTechTrainer :

• Now, hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the third time.

MacTechTrainer :

• Release the keys and allow the Mac to start up.

MacTechTrainer :

• Please update me to let me know if this works.

MacTechTrainer :

Sorry Nigel, one line I forgot to add before asking you to update me, was to try and insert the disc after your iMac is rebooted

Customer: Which are Command Option keys?
MacTechTrainer :

Are you using the Apple keyboard that came with your iMac?

MacTechTrainer :

or a different, none Apple branded keyboard?

Customer: Yes
MacTechTrainer :

Ok on the Apple keyboard, just to the left of the Space bar

Customer: Yes it's Apple
MacTechTrainer :

you will see a key with an Apple icon and a small cloverleaf icon on that same key

MacTechTrainer :

that is your Apple command key and it is always located to the left of your space bar on Apple keyboards

MacTechTrainer :

to the left of the Apple command key is your Option / Alt key

MacTechTrainer :

Option/Alt keys are usually found on Apple keyboards and Alt keys are usually found on Windows keyboards.

Customer: Lovely ,thanks, XXXXX XXXXX losing the place on my iPad sorry
MacTechTrainer :

No worries at all sir! I completely understand :)

Customer: Yes I got a normal start up after three times and a grey screen but it then went back to the black screen and message.
Customer: I'll try reboot and disk
MacTechTrainer :

Ok -will be standing by

MacTechTrainer :

so sorry this is taking awhile, but I will be working as diligently as possible to help resolve this issue for you -- that I can assure you.

Customer: No success . I tried again but the disk won't load
MacTechTrainer :

Ok one moment - I have one possible work around for you

Customer: ok thanks for your patience.
MacTechTrainer :

we will leave the disc part alone for now

Customer: Ok
MacTechTrainer :

but what I did want to ask you Nigel, is if I can help you create a new User account for now, just to see if we can get you back into your iMac's normal desktop, would you be willing to try this process out?

Customer: Yes
MacTechTrainer :

It would not require your Mac OS X 10.6 install disc

MacTechTrainer :

Ok now there is one more thing

MacTechTrainer :

if this works

MacTechTrainer :

then that means you may be fully locked out of your previous user account

MacTechTrainer :

I won't know that for sure

MacTechTrainer :

BUT

MacTechTrainer :

just in case, if we do this and we still cannot get to your original user account

MacTechTrainer :

we can delete the original user account that is presently locked BUT

MacTechTrainer :

we can save all of the files of that user account

MacTechTrainer :

this would only be a last ditch option, if we still are unable to access your original account.

MacTechTrainer :

So now knowing this additional part- are you ready to give it a go?

Customer: Yes but is my account Virgin or Apple?
MacTechTrainer :

You user account on your iMac, is your desktop, where you normally operate out of whenever you use your iMac

MacTechTrainer :

so it is an account for you to login into, not an account like a service such as Virgin

Customer: Ok let's go for it.
Customer: I will try and follow your instructions.
MacTechTrainer :

ok, great!- Putting the steps together for you now

Customer: Ok
MacTechTrainer :

1. Reboot your Mac
2. Hold apple key + S key down after you hear the chime.
(Apple Command + S keys on newer Macs)
3. When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting Return (or Enter) after each line):

mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

4. After rebooting you should have a brand new User Admin account. When you login to the new User Admin account let me know if you see your desktop in this new account ok--

MacTechTrainer :

when you have typed the last command line above Nigel (shutdown -h now), and press your Return key, your iMac will automatically shutdown

MacTechTrainer :

that is why you will have to turn it back on to reboot to your new user account

Customer: Iv'e got a left hand page of white text but no text prompt
MacTechTrainer :

Try typing a few letters to see if they show up on the screen

Customer: Yes bottom left
MacTechTrainer :

ok then back space and clear those characters you just typed

MacTechTrainer :

And then proceed to type in those command lines one at a time as I noted in the instructions above - be sure to press Return key after you type out a single command line

Customer: Ok
MacTechTrainer :

also Nigel, pay close attention to each command line as there are some spaces in between some of the characters on each line

Customer: I have typed carefully but it hasn't shut down. It says command not found
MacTechTrainer :

Ok let me see if this will help

MacTechTrainer :

type each link as I post each line below - be sure to note where you see (space) to press your spacebar only once on your keyboard, before typing the next character

MacTechTrainer :

here is the first command line:

MacTechTrainer :

mount(space)-uwspace/

MacTechTrainer :

rm(space)/var/db/.AppleSetupDone

MacTechTrainer :

shutdown(space)-h now

MacTechTrainer :

You see, if the space is not in between the characters as I have noted above

MacTechTrainer :

this command line process won't be recognized and therefore will not operate

Customer: I had better go back again . Reboot and start afresh.
MacTechTrainer :

not a bad idea

MacTechTrainer :

I have had to do that in the past as well

MacTechTrainer :

but now you have a newer perspective on how to do this hopefully :)

Customer: Right it has shut down now
MacTechTrainer :

Excellent

Customer: Ok ,Got. A normal screen now!!! Do I just go through the sequence now , Mac OS X and so on.
MacTechTrainer :

Great

MacTechTrainer :

now we are progressing!

MacTechTrainer :

One moment Nigel, I will go ahead and process step # XXXXX for you - thanks so much for your patience, thus far

Customer: Do I use my old Apple ID &password?
MacTechTrainer :

at this point on your screen, you are at the main desktop now, correct?

Customer: Yes
MacTechTrainer :

In that case Nigel, what that means is you have created a new User account without a login password

MacTechTrainer :

Now if you like I can first show you how to create one for this new user account

Customer: Can I use it without a login and password?
Customer: Or is that too insecure?
MacTechTrainer :

That is actually a call you would have to make. Macs are pretty secure, and for the most part having a password XXXXX up on your user account does add more security, but in your case, because you are the only user, it would not have much baring, unless you had other users using the same iMac

MacTechTrainer :

Now a password XXXXX help protect what applications are installed on your Mac

MacTechTrainer :

but if you are the only one installing them and no one accesses your Mac

MacTechTrainer :

again, there is not too much consequence there at all

Customer: Perfect.What do I do now?
MacTechTrainer :

Ready for step # XXXXX - Deleting the locked user account but saving that user account's folder?

Customer: Ok
MacTechTrainer :

Putting those steps together now Nigel, will be right with you- thanks again for your amazing patience!

MacTechTrainer :

Ok so sorry for the delay

MacTechTrainer :

so what you what you need to do now Nigel is click on the Apple menu icon located in the upper left corner of your screen

Customer: That's Ok
MacTechTrainer :

and select System Preferences (Thanks for understanding)

MacTechTrainer :

Once in System Preferences, go to Accounts

MacTechTrainer :

Now I want to to follow the steps #2 through 5 per this article:

MacTechTrainer :

I want to provide you this very simple guide, primarily because it has graphical images so you can see

MacTechTrainer :

just what the windows that will pop up, look like

Customer: Do I fillin my registration info first?
MacTechTrainer :

You can

MacTechTrainer :

indeed

MacTechTrainer :

or if you want to bypass the registration screen, press the Apple Command + Q key

MacTechTrainer :

to quit the registration screen

MacTechTrainer :

if that is the screen I think you are talking about

Customer: Do I have to fill in ID and registration before I can click on the apple ikon?
MacTechTrainer :

Is that page asking for your complete mailing address and information?

Customer: Yes t says create your account .
MacTechTrainer :

Oh yes, go ahead and create a new account

MacTechTrainer :

I forgot about this part- sorry

MacTechTrainer :

this is a new account

MacTechTrainer :

so it needs to identify you are a new user

MacTechTrainer :

it is here you can either add or not add a password XXXXX well

MacTechTrainer :

once you are done here, then you will be taken to your new desktop, where you can then start the procedure I recommended

Customer: How do I get back to the first screen. Can I shut down and restart?
MacTechTrainer :

Where are you now?

Customer: Create your account, and can't go back
MacTechTrainer :

Have you given the user account a name?

MacTechTrainer :

Sorry for the slow down here, just trying to get an idea what you are experiencing at this moment

Customer: I tried to use my name then email address for account name but it won't have it . Can I shut down and start again?
MacTechTrainer :

Yes please

Customer: Got thank you ---- back up your computer , browse etc Shall I go?
MacTechTrainer :

Go forward- you can bypass that

MacTechTrainer :

:)

Customer: Ok finder is back
MacTechTrainer :

Great ! Now

MacTechTrainer :

Click on the Apple menu icon located in the upper left corner of your screen and select System Preferences, then go to Accounts

Customer: Software Update Checking
MacTechTrainer :

You can update later

MacTechTrainer :

cancel that and select System Preferences from the drop down menu

Customer: Ok
Customer: Ok There is only my new acct flagged the others are my old one and a guest. Which are not live. Can Ileave it like that or do Ihave to Delete one?
MacTechTrainer :

This is where you get to choose

MacTechTrainer :

if you don't want to lose any of the files and folders from the deleted user then you want to go ahead and save those files and folders

MacTechTrainer :

now on the other hand, if you don't really care, you can delete that user and all of its files and folders

Customer: ok
MacTechTrainer :

that is completely up to you Mr. Nigel

Customer: That seems to be everything you can help me with. What a Marathon! Thank you so much for showing such patience with an 85 year old who is not tech savvy. I think I can manage now. Many,many thanks. Nigel.
MacTechTrainer :

You have been a delight to work with sir- so I have to say the pleasure was completely mine

MacTechTrainer :

I wish I could take some your spirit of patience and pass it on to many more users that assist!

MacTechTrainer :

thank you sir, it has been a honor for me to fulfill my promise to you

MacTechTrainer :

If you are satisfied that I have resolved your question to your satisfaction, please feel free to rate my service as we are always glad to know how are customers feel about their experience with us. Your Positive Feedback is also very appreciated!

MacTechTrainer :

And I thank you very much for allowing me to assist you. Keep in mind also, if you Accept any of my answers, it does not mean the session is over, especially if the issue

MacTechTrainer :

If all is well however, then there is no need to return. If you want to be cautious however, you are welcome to bookmark (or add to your Favorites if using Internet Explorer) this session in your web browser so you can come back to this session and alert me.

MacTechTrainer :

you received help from me, comes back.

MacTechTrainer :

Thank you again Mr. Nigel and I hope you enjoy your iMac without further incident now :)

MacTechTrainer :

Kind Regards,

MacTechTrainer :

Terry, Sr. Mac Support Specialist

MacTechTrainer :

"The MacTechTrainer"

MacTechTrainer :

Did you have any final questions for me sir?

MacTechTrainer :

if not, please be sure to press the Accept button to complete our session and rate how you feel I did for you today.

MacTechTrainer :

Have a great day sir!

Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I Rated Excellent

Thank you for the Accept Nigel!. I hope the information I provided you, has helped you resolve your Mac technical issue.

However, remember, an "Accept" is not the end of the session, especially if you still have questions or you find your issue is still not resolved after accepting my initial answer.

So please, feel free to reply again, if you still have questions regarding the question I just answered for you.

If you are satisfied with the Answer(s) provided you, however, we appreciate you taking a moment to provide feedback of our service, as we are always striving to continually provide the best possible customer service experience for you, here with JustAnswer.com

Thank you for using JustAnswer.com!

Sincerest Regards,

Terry, ("MacTechTrainer")
Sr. Mac Support Specialist