Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

Keyboard problems on my MacBook Pro I cannot get the correct

Keyboard problems on my MacBook Pro

I cannot get the correct symbols on my Macbook. This is new, and very annoying. I have checked the language and keyboard settings, but it makes no difference.

Top row !”#$%&/()=?`
Next row XXXXXXXXXX
Next symbols only Å^
Next symbols only Ũ
Next symbols only ØÆ*
Next symbols only øæ@
Next symbols only ;:_
Next symbols only ,.-
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

The list is what you get or what you want?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the list is what I get! I need the normal characters on a british keyboard!

Hi John, a few suggestions to start with, could make all the difference.
First, reset the pram.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys all together at the same time.
‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P' all together at the same time.
Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this is the sound that your computer makes when it starts up, it is like a boonngg. The screen should also cycle from white to black and then back to white along with the chimes.
The sound should also get louder.

graphic

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.
This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

Give that a try and please tell me what version of OS X you have.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Daniel,

It did not work. In fact it chimed 5 times. But the problem is the same.It is OSX version0.7.5

Further ideas welcome! But I will be away from my desk for a while.

We are starting with basics and proceeding from that.
Next is repairing permissions.

Repairing Permissions

That explains it.

However, it would seem that the Mac thinks the Option key is being pressed. On maybe fix is to pry both Option keys off the keyboard and see if there is debris under it that is doing this.

If you find no debris then try without those keys in place.

Should it now work then you have the culprit. Clean the socket out carefully and replace the keys, they will just snap on if lined up correctly.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Daniel,

OK I prised off the two option keys, checked for debris, and tried the keys without the option keys. I got the same result, so it must be something else.

Ok, do you have any USB keyboard available? As long as it will plug in a USB port it will serve.
Try it and see what happens, if it works then the keyboard circuit board is bad, if it repeats what the built in one does then something else is bad.
With it plugged in do a pram reset using the external keyboard.

The sound should also get louder.

graphic

Let me know please.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Daniel, I tried that, but the different keyboard gave the same result. I also tried another PRAM, but that had no effect either. What next_

Well John, there is no software fix that I can think of except reinstalling OS X and that may not do anything.
It is very hard to do without the keyboard, it thinks that the Option key is pressed, this may be a hard fault in the USB bus and that requires a new logic board as it is part and parcel, not a separate component.

I know that this is not what you want to hear and I sympathize.
It needs service that I cannot provide from where I am.
Can you tell me the serial number? I can check for any repair programs for this and see if it is still covered.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Daniel,

The serial number is

W80480SSATQ

Hardware UUID: CBAC9B46-29E6-5CBF-BF8A-89B4C346179F

Hope this helps

Many thanks

John B

John, your coverage has expired, sorry.
Apple has a very fair repair cost and when you get it back it looks like it just came out of the box.
I do recommend taking it into an Apple store for a second opinion at the very least.
I can do nothing more.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok Daniel, I will try that, Thanks for trying anyhow. I feel sure it happened after an update of some kind, but cannot pin it down...

John B

What update? Did this happen as soon as the update happened?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well there were several updates waiting, so I cannot be sure which as I loaded them all at once recently. I know one was to the operating system.

It could be one of the updates screwed something up, especially if the permissions were not repaired before they were done.
If you can restart while pressing the Command and R keys then it should go to Recovery.
Then you can reinstall OS X, this gives you a whole new operating system but leaves your data alone.
However, it depends on the keyboard reading the Command and R keys only with no modifiers like Option.
If that fails then it will take someone with the tools to get past this keyboard issue.
I cannot use mine long distance, an Apple store is your best bet for this.
Hope that helps John.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Daniel,

I started from scratch again, and discovered that I had both the ~British and Norwegian keyboards ticked in the settings. A Norwegian friend told me that what I had was in effect a Norwegian keyboard, and when I unticked it and re-started the problem was resolved! So it was probably someone here's fault for switching on a Norwegian Keyboard. However, you might want to store this for future reference! I am not sure why the Norwegian keyboard took priority over the British one, though.

Best wishes.

Thank you John for the update. I will certainly try that to find out why it would do that.
May be a bug that Apple would like to hear about.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK Daniel.