Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

Updated my iPod Touch 4 to iOS 6.1.2 on Tuesday. After installation,

Updated my iPod Touch 4 to iOS 6.1.2 on Tuesday. After installation, a message popped up stating that update is complete, but a few steps remain to complete the setup. It would not accept my Apple ID & PW. After approx. a dozen attempts, it asked me if I would like to bypass this step? I selected yes, and since have had no Wi-Fi or any connection to the outside world. Only stuff store locally on the iPod is available.

How do I fix this issue? Is there a way to go back to the previous version of iOS?

Thanks is advance for your help with this nagger.

~MR
Atlanta, GA
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

It is difficult to go back, it is possible but I do not that necessary.
First go to Settings/Wi-Fi, make sure it is turned on.
Then there should be a list of available networks, hopefully one is yours, tap it and enter the network password.
It should take it from there.
Now as to the Apple ID/iTunes ID under Settings scroll to iTunes & App stores.
Tap that, the next will have a blank for your Apple ID, type it in exactly as it is in iTunes (your iTunes email address, the entire thing), then your password XXXXX iTunes (pay close attention to any caps).
There is also a place to tap 'Forgot Apple ID or Password, use it if your info does not work.

This is the manual for iOS 6, it shows what I describe above.
Let me know if that helps or not please.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello AK,

Thanks for the reply, but we are still dead in the water.

It will let me log onto my wi-fi but only as a guest. No PW required.

When clicking on the iTunes or AppStore icons, a message stating, "Cannot connect to iTunes Store" appears. OK is the only choice.

Any other thoughts on how to remediate my issues?

Thanks again, AK.

~Mike

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Mike,
The problem is your network. Does your normal network appear in the list?
Usually a guest account is restricted to what it can and cannot do.
Try Forgetting the network, sometimes that will clear the fault.

Then try a reset.

To reset the iPod press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons down until the Apple appears, ignore all other screens, then let go.
graphic
This does a system reset much like a restart of your computer does.

Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Dan,

Thanks for the speedy reply.

My nework is just fine. We have an iPad that connects to the wi-fi w/o any issues. My network shows both the main connection and guest connection. The strange thing is I never setup a guest connection on my router. The iPad is connecting to the main location and the iPod is connected to Guest.

Did the reboot. No improvement what so ever. Status is exactly as before.

Any other thouhgts?

Thank you, Dan.

~Mike

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
It has to disconnect from Guest and connect to the one the iPad is on. No way around that.
If all that fails then I suggest a Restore using iTunes.

This way it clears the faults, restore from backup. It will give you that option.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Daniel,

Just a quickie. Since the backup on iTunes or my local HD will be the same as what is currently on the iPod, wouldn't the restore routine place the same crummy info back into the iPod?

Thanks Dan,

~Mike

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
That is the goal, it should, however, reset the bad info.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Daniel,

Did the wipeout and restore via iTunes. No improvement at all. Status is same as before. ITunes puts up a message during the restore that it will not affect the firmware. I believe the problem arose with the new firmware. Per Settings, I'm still running iOS 6.1.2!

Any last toughts before I call Apple for support?

Thank you, Daniel,

~Mike

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
It still will not connect to your main network?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Daniel,

Removed the guest setting from my router and only the main connection now appears on the iPod. However, it still not connect to wi-fi. Message is : "Unable to join the network."

Is this issue so new (iOS update was released this week) that we don't have much info yet on fixes yet?

I'm stumped.

Thanks,

~Mike

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
No, this is not a new issue.
Go to Settings/General/Reset and select Reset Network Settings.
Now try signing on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Daniel,

Joy at last! The sun is shining again in Georgia.

Here are the steps I took since my last missive:

1. Reset the router to remove guest allowed setting.

2. Wiped the iPod clean of all files.

3. Restored iPod from iTunes backup

a. After initial boot, it asked for my wi-fi PW and allowed me to join.

b. ITunes continued restoring my files for the next 30 minutes.

4. Went to opening screen and saw no wi-fi connection. No iTunes, Safari, Etc.

5. Went to Settings, General, Wi-Fi and re-entered my PW after it found my network.

6. All is honky-dory now!

Thanks for your help, Daniel.

~Mike

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome Mike. I did send the iOS manual, it is for all iOS devices so some things will not be available. It is something that Apple doesn't include with the device but they do make it easy to find online.
Enjoy.