Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

I cannot open my macbook pro. It chimes and the keyboard lights

I cannot open my macbook pro. It chimes and the keyboard lights but stays black screen.
Have tryed recomended restarts; to no avail. Purchased July 2012
Suggestions or do I bring it in.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

The good news is that whatever the issue is it is covered under the warranty which is good until July 2013.
Along the top of the keyboard is a row of small keys, two of which brightens or darkens the screen.

I think your keyboard is in the same location, press the one to the right a few times and see what happens.
If that fails then get a flash light and shine it on the screen sideways to eliminate glare. Look closely and see if there is an image, look hard.

Try those two things and let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do not know if first response went through.

Tried the keys no result on brightening; now, keyboard does not light; flashlight and hard look have no results.??

The flash light trick used at different angles will show an image if one is present, sometimes the back light will go but everything else works.
Shine the light from the side, the image will be faint.

Next a pram reset, if you have done this please try it again.
To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys all together at the same time.
‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P' all together at the same time.
Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this is the sound that your computer makes when it starts up, it is like a boonngg. The screen should also cycle from white to black and then back to white along with the chimes.
The sound should also get louder.

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.
This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

Then an SMC reset.

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    : The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Let me know what happens please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Tried PRAM to no avail.

Then the SMC: pressed shift -control -option and power button at same time. Heard machine stop

Then pressed power and got the chimes with no keyboard lights? machine running

This sounds like hardware and is nothing I can do anything about.
If you do not have an Apple store near by to take it to.

Then call this number and they will send a 'Happy Box' with shipping prepaid both ways.

This shows where to find that number.

I can do no more from here.
Wish I could be of more help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for trying

You are welcome.