Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

I cant install OS X 10.5 snow leapord on a new Harddrive in

I can't install OS X 10.5 snow leapord on a new Harddrive in iMac 17" all-in-one computer
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

So I can better assist you, I will need additional information. After you installed your new hard drive, did you partition it?

Appleologist :

From what you are describing, it sounds like you may not have partitioned your hard drive first. To do this, you will need to boot to the install disk first. Insert your install disk and restart your computer while pressing and holding the "C" Key. Release the C key when you see the apple logo

Appleologist :

I see you are still offline right now. When you enter the chat, respond and I will be notified

Customer:

Sorry for the delay. I did hold down the C key while booting up but all I get is the icon in the center of the screen that switches from a face to ? mark. I can't get it to boot to the newly install HD.

Appleologist : You may not be holding down the c key early enough. Try it again and make sure you are holding down the c key immediately after the computer restarts. If you are still unable to boot to the install disk, try restarting your computer while pressing and holding the option key. To do this, power down your computer, turn it back on and immediatly press and hold down the option key. If done correctly, you will see the install disk image. Click on the install disk
Customer:

I did every thing you recommended and still no results. I still get the small icon with a face and ? mark diskplayed in the center of the screen. Any other suggestions????

Appleologist :

When did you replaced your hard drive? Did you replace it yourself?

Appleologist :

The disk that you inserted, is it the original snow leopard disk?

Appleologist :

The question mark you are seeing beings 2 things. The computer does not recognize your hard drive Or it does not recognize the operating system. Since your hard drive was already replaced, your hard drive needs to be partitioned and then have your operating system installed.

Appleologist :

I would like to assist you in resolving your issue however I am having difficulty getting a response from you.

Customer:

How do I partition the HD since I can't get it to reconize the HD. Do I need to remove it and Partition it in another machine and if I do will this computer reconize it.

Appleologist : First try to reset your computers PRAM and then immediatly press and hold the option key. To do this, restart your computer and immediatly press and hold down these 4 keys. Command+option+P+R at the same time. Continue to hold down these keys until the computer chimes 3 times
Appleologist : Let me know if you are still unable to boot
Customer:

I am away from my computer today, but will try your suggestion as soon as I get home tonight.

Appleologist : Ok. Keep me posted
Customer:

I reset the PRAM as you suggested and when I reboot with the OS disk installed and hold down the C Key I get the same same icon that looks like a small file folder with the face and ? mark inside.

Appleologist : Did you replace your hard drive or did you take it in for service?
Customer:

I replace the hard drive. It was purchased from a refurbisher who used elan to erase the drive and was throughly tested for no bad sectors on the HD.

Customer:

That was eban not elan in my previously message. Sorry for the misspelling.

Appleologist : Since your computer does not even boot to an install disk, the new hard drive may not be seated well. Is it possible to reseat the hard drive and make sure the hard drive cable is properly connected to the logic board?
Customer:

Get me a few minutes to disassemble the computer to check and I will try to reboot and let you know.

Appleologist : Sounds like a plan.
Customer:

I checked all the cables, used another Keyboard, tried another HD that was formatted, and the same thing happens.

Appleologist : Do you think it is possible that another issue was created in the process of replacing your hard drive?
Appleologist : it defiantly sounds hardware related
Customer:

Is there some way of testing the hardware to determine where the problems lies.

Appleologist :

Do you have the original Cd's that came with your computer? One of which should be Apple Hardware Test CD

Appleologist :

However if your machine does not even allow you to boot, it will not be helpful

Appleologist :

If you can not find the disk, try Pressing and holding the D key before the gray startup screen appears.

Customer:

I did try pressing the D key several times on rebooting and same thing happens.

Appleologist :

I am afraid we tried all possible troubleshooting steps. From my past experience, the issue sounds related to either the hard drive cable or the logic board. Especially when you've inserted a known good hard drive and arrive at the same conclusion

Appleologist :

I wish I had better news. You will need to take your machine in for service or purchase a new machine

Customer:

Thanks for you help

Appleologist :

You are soo welcome. I wish you the best of luck :)

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.