Toby K.
Toby K., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  17+ years of IT support

closed mac book completely down last night this morning have

closed mac book completely down last night this morning have got message saying need to restart by holding power button down then when power off press power button again .have done this several times but it returns to need to restart scree!

Thank you for asking your question today. It sound like your computer is experiencing what is a called a kernel panic. I would like to perform the following steps:

1. Be sure your Mac is shut down.

2. Press the power button.

3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.

4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear). It might take longer than normal to boot up.

5. When it comes up, restart the computer normally, without holding any keys during startup.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns. If you have no additional questions please remember to Rate/Accept my service before exiting the site so I can be credited for my time.