Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.
70409726

yesterday, for the first time, my mac wouldnt accept my password

yesterday, for the first time, my mac wouldn't accept my password XXXXX it even gave me a clue which I didn't need. I eventually had to restart the computer and everything was back to normal why did this happen? also I cannot remember my administrator"s password. Is there something I can do to reset it? Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

From what you are describing, the password XXXXX your computer was requesting was your administrator password. We can defiantly reset it. Before we do that, I will need to know what operating system you are running to I can better assist you. To find this out, click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose about this mac. Read me the version number

Customer:

10.4.11

Appleologist :

Thanks for the info. To reset your admin password, you will need the installation disk. Do you have it with you?

Customer:

yes

Appleologist :

Great. Before we do that, I just want to confirm your issue. When your computer would not accept your password, was it at the log in screen or when you tried to install an application

Customer:

but if I have to reinstall can you just tell me what to do and I shall get my son to do everything! It was at the log in screen

Customer:

Previously I started to install microsoft silverlight but stopped the installation - its logo is on my screen waiting to be installed

Appleologist :

Ok so that is defiantly your admin password. Here is the link for detailed instructions on how to reset it. Chose Resetting the original administrator account password. Are you sure you do not want me to walk you trough? http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1274

Appleologist :

You do not need to re-install, you just need to boot to the install disk to reset your password

Customer:

how do I boot the install disc?

Appleologist :

Insert the installation disk first. Then restart your computer while pressing and holding the C key. You will need to press the C key down immediately after restarting and you can release when you see the apple logo

Customer:

Do you mean the letter C and if so does it have to be in capital? After you see the apple logo what do you do - Where do you find "Resetting ..original administrator......password" ?

Appleologist :

Do you have another computer that you can chat from? I think it is best if I walk you through

Customer:

no sorry

Appleologist :

Since you will need to boot into the install disk, I will lose you

Appleologist :

Ok, When you boot into the install disk, Choose english

Appleologist :

then in the top menu above, you will see a menu bar

Customer:

NO I shall boot later when my son is here - I just need to tell him what to do!!

Appleologist :

Choose utilities and then Choose Reset Password

Appleologist :

I sent you a link with detailed instructions, did you receive it?

Appleologist :

1. Choose a language, click the arrow button to continue,

2. Choose Reset Password XXXXX the Utilities menu.

3. Select your Mac OS X hard disk volume.

4. Select the user name of your original administrator account.

Important: Do not select "System Administrator (root)". This is actually the root user. You should not confuse it with a normal administrator account.

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]89.0909090909091[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

5. Enter a new password.

6. Click Save.

7. Click the red button in the upper left corner to quit the application.

8. Choose Quit Mac OS X Installer... from the Mac OS X Installer menu.

9. Click Restart.

Appleologist :

Full Size Image

Appleologist :

Ok I was able to copy and paste the instructions from the link I sent you

Customer:

Yes thank you - does this tell you what to do and do I need to do anything about any other software I have eg virus protection or will the boot not affect this? Under section 4 - is this what will appear on screen?

Appleologist :

Yes this will tell you everything you need to know, I also copied and pasted from the link. Make sure you click on the link and bookmark it for your son. You will not need any other software since booting to the installation disk will not effect it. Under section 4, was an illustration of what the page will look like. I also attached the image. Here it is again if you are unable to see it

Full Size Image

Customer:

thanks again but am still unsure why I couldn't use my normal password XXXXX login as the "clue" it eventually gave me was for my normal password! And was that the letter c in caps which you were referring to?

Appleologist :

The Clue is not the password, it is the clue to get you to remember your password. Example. If your clue was "Favorite food" your password XXXXX be "Pizza" As to your question about the C key, it does not have to be in caps. Do you want to try your password XXXXX more time before resetting it?

Appleologist :

To try your password XXXXX click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose system preferences

Customer:

and then what?

Appleologist :

Choose accounts

Appleologist :

(under systems)

Customer:

and then?

Appleologist :

In the left corner you will see a lock. Click on it

Appleologist :

Try to enter the answer to the clue

Customer:

will anything happen if it is incorrect?

Appleologist :

It will shake. If it is correct, the lock will unlock

Appleologist :

Is the lock unlocked or locked?

Customer:

it unlocked

Appleologist :

Thats good. That means you do not need to reset your password. Im glad we checked before resetting it. Is that the password XXXXX typed in earlier?

Customer:

Yes hence reason do not understand what happened! If I unlock the lock can I change the password XXXXX I want?

Appleologist :

Yes you can change it. Is that what you would like?

Appleologist :

The password XXXXX you just typed in is your administrator password

Customer:

Not at moment but is it straightforward to do if I choose to do it at a later date? Does that mean that I am using the same password XXXXX login as administrator and is that correct to do so?

Appleologist :

Yes it is straight forward if you need to do it at a later date. Yes your login password XXXXX XXXXX same as your administrator password

Customer:

Thanks for all your help and hope that this doesn't happen again!

Appleologist :

You are very welcome. I am sure it will not happen again. You can now go ahead and rate my service and end the Chat. Enjoy the rest of your day

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.