David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
39216975

RA-kyl

Customer Question

2007 iMac, Snowleopard---

Upon startup, clicking the mouse produces widgets - calculator, weather, clock an calendar.

Clicking again removes widgets.

Nothing else can be clicked. Clicking anywhere on the screen produces widgets, no widgets, widgets, no widgets, etc.

Booted in safe mode, clicked F4 and F12 numerous times, still the problem remains.

Am about to take computer to Apple, but wanted to try one last shot before spending the usual $150 and being without my iMac for several days or longer.

Thanks.
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

First I would suggest another mouse, but if you don't have then there are still things to do about this.

Does the pointer move around OK?

Instead of using left click, try right click. Do the icons appear?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Left and right click produce Widgets/make them disappear, etc.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Press Command + Tab until you are on Finder, and it says Finder in the top left.

Then press Command + Shift + A and Applications should open.

Press S and it will go to Applications starting with S.

Use the arrow key to get to System Preferences.

Now press Command + O and System Preferences should launch.

Let me know if you can open System Preferences.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, David--

Followed your steps, got all the way to SYSTEM PREFERENCES.

Cannot open any - any click produces widgets appearing, widgets disappearing.

Next?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

We can only try resetting the preferences using text based input, so we will need to use Single User Mode.

Please power down using the power button.

Power on and hold Command - S until you get to the test screen.

Please let me know when you are there.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

On test screen, thanks.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Type: mount -uw /

Press return.

Please let me know what it says thanks :)

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

"no such file or directory"

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Are you sure it was mount -uw /

there is a space between the mount and the -uw and the /

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX know there were spaces. Just entered mount -uw /

and I see:

hfs: Removed 1 orphaned / unlinked files and 0 directories

:/ root#

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Type: mv ~/Library/Preferences/ ~/Library/Preferences_old/

Press Return.

Type: reboot

Press Return.

Your system preferences will be returned to default so we need to put important ones back. Please don't open any applications at this point, just let me know if the mouse is working OK now.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, David--

Sorry to say, did all above, rebooted, widgets appear/disappear/appear/disappear with each mouse click.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Please power down, and power up then hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key at the spinning gear.

This should say Safe Mode in the login window.

Let me know how this goes.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In safe mode.

Clicked screen.

Widgets appear/disappear/appear/disappear with each mouse click.

Next...?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

If it is not a problem with the mouse, the operating system needs to be reinstalled. This isn't a big job, and all your files and folders are left in place.

Have you tried the mouse on another computer?

Do you have the install disc that came with the iMac?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have not tried mouse with other comp - are Mac mouses (mice) compatible with Dells? I can't hook mouse up to iPad, naturally...or can I?

I do have the install disc but it's in storage and will take some time to find, and not today, darn it.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

No the iPad doesn't work natively with a mouse, but I think some Apps can connect a mouse.

It's one or the other, hardware with the mouse, or a problem in the operating systems hardware extensions.

I know that the side buttons activate the widgets, and that the mouse could be registering this instead of a click.

Try positioning the mouse pointer over what you would like to click, the Apple menu for example. Then take one finger and press on the left mouse click, without touching any other part of the mouse. Does that make any difference?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, thanks.

At this point, after 8 hours of trying to fix this issue, it may be time to just bring it in and let them deal with it .

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Depending on the mouse, this could be the problem, and I have seen it before.

There are two grey bits at the side that register a dashboard open, and it can be come very sensitive.

Other mice that use the same can have the same problem.

It is a genuine request, as if you can click, you can turn off that behavior and fix it permanently.

Otherwise we can reinstall the OS as soon as you are ready.

Please let me know, feel free to take your time or ask any follow up questions.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The sides of the mouse?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Thats correct, some don't even have discernible buttons, but can be programmed to activate on squeeze.

Sincerely,
David.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Was the mouse OK, were you able to check if on another Mac? Was it a Mac mouse you were using?

Please feel free to ask me any follow up questions and let me know how it went.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

At this point, the computer is now at Apple, so they are going to figure it out. Thanks for trying.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

It's no problem, you are welcome :)

Feel free to ask any follow up questions now or in the future.

Yours sincerely,
David.