Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.
70409726

Updates were installing and the network connection was lost.

Updates were installing and the network connection was lost. I am unable to switch on my Mac. Please assist.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

So I can better assist you , I will need clarification on your issue. When you say you are unable to switch, what are you referring to?

Customer:

When I press the power button, the Mac does not switch on

Appleologist :

It sounds like it is frozen. You will need to force shut down your machine. To do this, press and hold the power button for 40 secs or until it powers off. You will need to press the power button firmly

Appleologist :

Force power on*

Appleologist :

Make sure your charger is connected while pressing and holding the power button

Customer:

That easy.... When it comes on again, do I operate as normal, or is there anything I need to do to ensure it works properly?

Appleologist :

You should be able to operate normally. Your updates will pickup where it left off or will need to re-download if it was interrupted. Was there anything els I can assist you with today?

Customer:

Yes, please. I made a back up on my Mac to an external hard drive; however it seems this cannot be read from a pc with a windows operating system. How can I get my data from the Hard disk?

Appleologist :

It sounds like your hard drive was formatted for a mac only. You will need to change the formate. Changing the format does erase everything. Is the data still on your mac?

Customer:

Yes, it is.

Appleologist :

Ok good, Lets roll! Click on the apple logo in the upper right corner and type in disk utility

Customer:

Done

Appleologist :

In the left column, select your external hard drive. It will be in a yellowish orange color. Then choose the partition tab

Customer:

ok

Appleologist :

Under partition layout, choose 1 partition. Then under format, choose MS DOS (FAT). Then select apply or partition at the bottom right

Customer:

Done

Appleologist :

You are all set. Now you will need to drag the contents back to your hard drive. You PC will now be able to see it

Customer:

If I understand correctly I now drag the data on finder to the hard drive?

Appleologist :

Correct

Customer:

Then it can be read by a pc with a windows operating system?

Appleologist :

Yes that is correct

Customer:

And if I need to restore it to my mac?

Appleologist :

It is the same process. You will drag the documents on your external hard drive.

Appleologist :

The mac will only read .doc and .exl

Customer:

Thank you so much!

Appleologist :

You are very welcome. Enjoy the rest of your day :)

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.