Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products

my ipad is frozen up and iTunes says it is in recovery mode

my ipad is frozen up and iTunes says it is in recovery mode and I don't know how to get it out. help?

Sorry to hear that your ipad is in recovery mode.:(

Unfortunately, the only way to get out of it, is to restore the ipad.

Open itunes in the computer and connect the ipad. Now, on the ipad, press and hold the power button and the home button together until you see an apple logo.
The very moment you see the apple, let go off the power button, but keep on holding the home button for another 10-15 sec.

Your computer would now give a message that it has detected an ipad in recovery mode and needs to be restored.

Restore the ipad now.

Let me know if you find any difficulty.

Thank You
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have tried recovery mode several times with iTunes and it keeps saying error 1611 and I have also turned off my antivirus Norton to see if it was it was causing interference to no avail. what else can I do?

Thank you for the reply, Dorothy.

Usually 1611 is caused because of interference with a security software.

Try turning off your computer firewall too and try to restore.

If that too does not work, let's try connecting it to a different computer (if you have one) and try to restore from that.

This is what apple say about error 1611:

This error typically occur when security software interferes with the restore and update process. Follow Troubleshooting security software issues to resolve this issue. In rare cases, this error may be a hardware issue. If the errors persist on another computer, the device may need service.

If you don't have a different computer, I would suggest you to take it into any apple store nearby and they will restore it from their computer.

Let me know