Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I HAVE IPHOTO 2.0.1.on a Mac with OS X 10.4.11 How can I select

I HAVE IPHOTO 2.0.1.on a Mac with OS X 10.4.11
How can I select photos that I want to import and avoid importing the entire content of the camera?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

That is an old iPhoto but there is hope.
Sorry it is taking so long but I had to do some research to make sure of my answer.
You should update to iPhoto 5.0.4, that is the latest version that Tiger can run.

The reason is iPhoto 2.0.1 does not have that capability.
Image capture is another way to get selected from the camera.

What I usually do, however, is to browse the camera as an external hard drive. It should appear on the desktop as untitled or as a flash drive. It will look like this.
graphic
Open that and look at the DCMI folder, then you can use Quick Look to view. Select which and drag them to iPhoto or a folder on the desktop and them import those.

Does that help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

really complicated. too late now for me to try out. will contact you by email later.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Please do not email, reply to this question thread.
Bookmark it like any favorite site, it makes it easy to return.
Take your time, I am in no hurry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am waiting for my wife to come back from holidays with many photos. I'll then try out your solutions. My rating will follow. Sorry for the delay.

Will I be charged $ 58 for just this question?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
I hope she comes back with lots of great photos.
A card reader is also a good inexpensive investment, they can be found in many places but get a brand name like Belkin or Canon or Kodak, a name you know to be good.

I do not have anything to do with that side of the JA site. All I do is provide answers when I can.
I think that you can get more than one question for a price, this help site will answer those concerns.

Keep me posted and let me know how it works out for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Your preferred solution: an icon when camera is connected does not work. No icon appears.

I clicked Amazon.com: Apple iLife '06 (Mac DVD) [OLD VERSION]: Software as you suggested.

This item is available in the US, but cannot be shipped to Canada.

And it is not available on amazon.ca

You have done what was possible; it just does not work in my case.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok, then try using Image Capture, it is software that comes standard with OS X.
graphic
That is what its icon looks like. It lives in the Applications folder.
This overlooked software can do many things including interfacing with cameras.
It will not import RAW but most others it will.
Look in the Help and it will show you how.

Let me know, please.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.