Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
51110040

My iPad2 screen went blank suddenly and cannot turn it back

Customer Question

My iPad2 screen went blank suddenly and cannot turn it back on. Already tried the following: charged it all night, reset it several times, tried recovery mode and restored it, checked all updates for iPad and iTunes... If there is no other way to try and fix it, I would like to at least understand why a 2 year-old $400 tablet can stop working out of the blue?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to hear that your ipad is not working fine...:(

Before we start, please understand that we are not Apple. We are a pay per question site. My job is to give you accurate and honest answers for your question. Once we finish, you will be rating my service, not the answer or the website. Please don't rate my service in case you are not satisfied.

I read from your question that you have already tried a restore. Did the itunes show up the ipad so that you could restore? Was the restore successful?

If it was, I believe everything is functioning on your ipad, except the display.
Have you tried this - Connect the ipad to the charger. Then press and hold the power button and the home button together for 10-15 sec.

If that too does not work and since the restore too did not help, I am sorry to say this, but I would like to be honest with you. It is a hardware problem and you would need to get it replaced from an apple store nearby or by calling apple care.

The average working period for an ipad would be around 3-4 hours and I am really sorry that it stopped working way earlier than that. These kind of hardware damages are bound to happen, as it is an electronic device.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you find any difficulty. I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions you have.

Thank You
Vinod
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your prompt reply Vinod.

I am not sure I fully understand your first question and I will try to be as clear as possible in my answer. My iPad showed up in my sidebar on iTunes during the restore, however, my iPad screen always remained blank (only changing from black to dark blue but no image or logos). I believe the restore was successful based on the information displayed on my computer screen (iTunes window: "Your iPad has been restored to factory settings, and is restarting. Please leave your iPad connected. It will appear in the iTunes window after it restarts.").

As for your second suggestion, I also tried resetting my iPad while connected to the charger and still nothing.

If my iPad is no longer working because of a hardware problem then there isn't much more I can do.

Thank you.

Thank you for your reply, Constance.

Unfortunately, it is a hardware problem (linked to the display).

You have done all the troubleshooting steps possible and if the restore did not fix the issue, there is nothing more we can do.

It should be sent in for a service...:(

You can find the nearest apple stores by going to the following website

www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar

You can make an appointment through that website. Or you can call the apple care 1-800-2752273 between 8AM and 8PM CST.

Since it is 2 years old, it would not be under warranty either...:(