Toby K.
Toby K., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  17+ years of IT support
61870206

Great - just sent the question - pushed button - gone. Again,

Great - just sent the question - pushed button - gone.
Again, all of a sudden it takes 10 to 20 minutes to log in - eventually we DO get there. All operations are slow thereafter. Verizon has checked incoming DSL and it's fine. We installed a new hard drive last August. Low Battery? It is a MACOSX 2009 laptop. Any help would be greatlt appreciated. We may have to come in to Natick...Clare White Holden, MA XXX-XXX-XXXX (I give you hone in case the bloody thing dies completely.)
Category: Mac
Expert:  Toby K. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for asking your question today.

Does it take 10-20 minutes to start the computer?

We’re looking forward to hearing back from you soon!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No... it bongs, the apple appears and the little circle whirls merrily for a while, then we get a cool blue BLANK screen where to the log-in icons used to appear. We then leave that screen up, go away and do chores, eat lunch, etc. and when we come back the log-in icons have finally come up. We then log in, and proceed with what we want to do, holding our breath. Thanks

Expert:  Toby K. replied 1 year ago.
This problem could be several things, bad hard drive, bad memory module, low disk space, etc. I would like for you to try the following:

1. Be sure your Mac is shut down. You might need to hold the power button until it turns off.

2. Press the power button.

3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.

4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear). It might take longer than normal to boot up.

5. When it comes up, restart the computer normally, without holding any keys during startup.

Do you have the CD/DVD that came with your computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OMG... turned to %$# XXXXX off and of course could not remember everything I was supposed to do! Yes, I have the CD and instruction book. It seems to be written in Greek. Here is what I think we should do: Cease trying to help me. I am worse than illiterate. I will stay right on this page. Very savvy grandson arrives this pm and I will put him on it. You will then get good support at this end. Thank you - at least I now know it is definitely the machine and will cancel Verizon tech due tomorrow. Would you please not charge my Mastercard until we get somewhere? Talk to you this afternoon. Clare White

Expert:  Toby K. replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. If you need assistance later, reply back to me. If you find you no longer need assistance, you can request a refund from Customer Service. I only get credit when you accept/rate my answer. Talk to you later.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is the grandson, Could you get me up to speed on what the symptoms are and if you have any idea, what the issue may be?

Expert:  Toby K. replied 1 year ago.
I explained to her earlier that it could be several things, bad hard drive, bad memory module, low disk space, etc. I would like for you to try the following:

2. Press the power button.

Let me know what that does.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok we will try this and respond in a few.

Expert:  Toby K. replied 1 year ago.
If the problem still persists, you can try the following:

1. 1. Insert the installation disc,and restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. 2. When your computer finishes starting up, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu.

3. Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must start from the disc again to access Disk Utility.

4. 3. Click the First Aid tab.

5. 4. Select your OS X volume.

6. 5. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It did do a "safe boot" as the login window stated, upon restarting after that it seemed faster, but we would like to leave the computer off for some time and see if it still boots as quickly even after being left off.

Expert:  Toby K. replied 1 year ago.
Great, it sounds promising! I would also run my 2nd set of instructions. In Disk Utility, run both Repair Disk Permissions and Repair Disk. Afterwards, restart the computer and you should be fine.

If you have no additional questions/concerns, please remember to Rate/Accept my service before exiting the site so I can be credited for my time. Thanks!
Toby K., Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 17+ years of IT support
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Toby, It's working - "Marginally" - . Very slow to log in, but it gets there. We just don't shut it down any more. Occasionally it won't wake up after sleeping, so I shut it down and log in, slowly!, again. Alden, the grandson did not have time to do your second suggestion using the installation disc, but he may be around next week and he will try that. No use me doing it. The computer would explode. Thanks for staying in touch. You may hear from us again! Clare White

Expert:  Toby K. replied 1 year ago.
When he has time, perform the second suggestion. It will perform a deeper scan for any inconsistencies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Great - will do. I might even try it myself. Again, it is a pleasure to work with you.