Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

Little snitch 2.2.05 has blocked my computer from starting

Customer Question

Little snitch 2.2.05 has blocked my computer from starting up and says little snitch: connection for usr/libexec/XProtectUpdater uid:0 to 23, 32, 2, 224 can anyone help me pls?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is Ashik and I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers didn’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, you are rating my Service to you and Not the Outcome of the answer or this website.

XProtectUpdater is the system updater. Restart your Mac in Safe Mode. To restart in Safe Mode, turn off your Mac. Turn it back on and immediately hold down the Shift key on your Keyboard until it boot into Safe Mode. Then open Little Snitch, goto the Little Snitch Configuration, click the + button, choose the application (/System/Library/CoreServices/Software Update), allow any server any port any protocol.

Close it. Then goto Apple > Software Updates. If that didn't work, disable Little Snitch from there. Restart your Mac to desktop (normal restart) and then run all Software Updates from Apple menu. Then you can enable the Little Snitch back.

Also, make sure you installed latest version of Little Snitch on your Mac. Download and install it from here :

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can't enter safe mode. I'm only allowed single user mode
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay...What happens when you enter Safe Mode ? What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My computer is running 10.6.8 on a MacBook Pro .
As far as what's it doin, when I try and boot in safe mode it begins with a grey bar loading at the bottom but as mine loads and the status of the bar is 3/4 completed it disappears and then it goes to a blue screen that switches to a state almost like msdos but with a blinking disappearing fake command cursor. Then it reads little snitch connection deffered : /usr --------etc.. Like in my first posting .
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry for the delay. We can create a new account in Single User Mode, login to that account and disable little snitch temporarily. Following are the commands to create a new user account

mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

After creating new account, trash little snitch from Applications folder. Don't emptuy the trash. Then login to old account. Did that work ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
If you have the Mac OS X installation discs, put the disc 1 to your Mac and boot into it by holding down the C key on your Keyboard. After booting into the disc, follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall OS X. Reinstalling OS X will temporarily bypass the old application's settings, so you will have a chance to change the little snitch's settings. Please let me know how it goes.